**UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: **UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Post by toxo »

Now it's finished you can buy your JAE ticket ;)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Been reading this from the start on and off all day at work...

Some hard work gone into this that's for sure... Along with a lot of thought into it. Impressive!

Really like this car mate. It's a beast!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

slipping clutch wrote:Happy days :thumleft: I really want to see this in the 'metal'so to speak.
Well done Karl and Peter.

Cheers mate, I will be at some of the big events on 2014 so hopefully you'll be able to see it then.

Don't worry I've got plenty more ideas in mind for it yet :thumleft:

blue2 wrote:Hi Karl, is that a standard mr2 radiator or has it been modified in any way? I may need a new one soon for my v6.

It's not a standard radiator. It's a lightweight aluminium race derived radiator - as I was fitting a lightweight ali engine I wanted to keep weight to a minimum (and keep the aluminium theme lol). I think it's similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAPSPEED-TOYO ... 256e1e3ff5

toxo wrote:Now it's finished you can buy your JAE ticket ;)

Don't worry - way ahead of you. I checked out the dates in work today. I'm meant to be working every one of them. I've stuck in an annual leave request but that all depends on staffing levels and any big events. Fingers crossed :pray:

GeorgeL wrote:Been reading this from the start on and off all day at work...

Some hard work gone into this that's for sure... Along with a lot of thought into it. Impressive!

Really like this car mate. It's a beast!

I'm impressed you got through it in one day! :lol:
Thank you, it's nice that other people realise how much money and hard work have been ploughed into the car.
It certainly is a beast :twisted:

So recently there was some worry that the exhaust would be too loud for everyday use (especially as I do shifts covering 24 hours of the day). The exhaust company have therefore made custom stainless steel removable exhaust bungs \:D/

Here they are:

I really really like the look of them. In fact I think I prefer the exhaust with them in as opposed to out. I shall see what the noise is like and decide how often to remove them :-k

The car started to get its valet today as well:

You can see the newly fitted flare and trim in the photo above as well

That's everything for now. Pick up date is fast approaching :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Couple more small updates...

The very last part was delivered today so the engine is 100% finished:

Fitted:

Believe it or not the X bar actually fits as well :shock:

Everything is completely sorted except for the wash and polish now \:D/

Roll on Saturday!!!

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Collection on Saturday eh, interesting. I'm going to be up that way anyway as I'm going to see Nick (nickp) to do some stuff on the Westy. Might just have to stop by depending what your plans are :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Well pick up is scheduled for 9am tomorrow \:D/
The only down point is that I have to leave mine at 6, which means a wake up time of around 04:30ish. Uugghh :lol:

It would be good to see you tomorrow Phil. If you fancy popping by Peters between 9-10 I should be there. It would be good to see your new purchase as well :thumleft:

Oh and I almost forgot to say but the car got its wash and polish :mrgreen:

My insurance policy with Adrian Flux has come up for renewal and been altered to cover commuting. I've also had an agreed value of £6500 put on it, although I feel that maybe I might have under-estimated as tonight I added up all the bills since I've owned it and all I'm going to say is :shock:

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

KarlBristol wrote:The only down point is that I have to leave mine at 6, which means a wake up time of around 04:30ish.

WTF! 90 minutes to get up, dressed and out?????????????

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

:lol:

If I get up so does the Spaniel... Which means a minimum of a 45 minute dog walk before I go anywhere. The joys of animal ownership :mrgreen:

synXero

Post by synXero »

Dude. You do not walk the dog on car pickup day.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Going to have a look through this thread now I've found it, but just wanted to say I was down at Peters last week and he started your car up and it sounded epic, bet you can't wait for tomorrow. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
craig

Post by craig »

KarlBristol wrote:The only down point is that I have to leave mine at 6, which means a wake up time of around 04:30ish.

My girlfriend can get ready in under an hour from waking up and that includes drying and straightening her hair and doing her make up!

:neutral:

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Shoot the dog, buy a cat. :thumleft:

R.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sooooooo...?

:bounce:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

RedMR² wrote:

My girlfriend can get ready in under an hour from waking up and that includes drying and straightening her hair and doing her make up!

:neutral:

She's a keeper then mate.. That's not too bad at all. The ex took forever.. I could have drove down to see Karl's car and went home in the time It took her.

So Karl....
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Last seen, or more accurately, heard, about 2.5 hours ago, roaring up my quiet high steet on the rev limiter. :mrgreen:

craig

Post by craig »

I bet Shell V power sales are up today........ :mrgreen:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

***HUGE POST ALERT*** :lol:

Well its been a long day.... but god what a day and what a car!!! :mrgreen:
I'm absolutely over the moon and the performance, sound and general experience of the car is unbelievable! \:D/

It was an early start and a relatively relaxed one in the boring diesel Skoda. We eventually rolled up to Peter's at around 09:30ish and after a cuppa we wandered over to see the car. The attention to detail and quality of work is brilliant - the photos just really don't do the car justice! Peter fired it up and we jumped in for a test drive. It was fast enough to scare me stupid and I drive fast for a job! I loved it!!

I wish I could explain fully the rumble of the throaty V6 in there, the tone of the exhaust, the smell of the engine and the overall ridiculous acceleration! The car sounds so throaty and always has so much to give. It plods along at 80mph at a mere 3000 revs. I cannot express enough that the acceleration in this car is unbelievable, helped partially by the fact I own the lightest revision and one of the lightest aluminum engines fitted to an MR2.

When tested on a private road it easily reached scary stupid speeds in a matter of seconds. I'm sure you can use your imaginations! :lol:

Phil popped in for a bit and I admired his new purchase although to be honest my mind was elsewhere. (PS the LED conversion is cracking Phil - its a brilliant touch and looks perfect. Thank you again :thumleft: )

We intended to be at Peter's for an hour or two although time slipped by effortlessly and before we knew it afternoon was fast approaching and so the difficult decision was made to leave. The car was very responsive on the way home and I enjoyed it massively, so much so that we took a longer route avoiding some of the later motorways. I eventually rocked up back home around 4 hours later. The engine temperature was just under half the entire journey no matter how much abuse it got given. The numerous fans certainly do their job!

After a brief cuppa and a tea stop at home I was back out enjoying myself again. This car truly is addictive!! My friend who was kindly driving my other car back for me test drove the car and was amazed. He has a 5 litre mustang and said that his car's performance doesn't come anywhere near this. When he later left he sent me a text saying
What a balistic missile!!!

I had to take some photos for my agreed value for my insurance company. Here are some of them taken at our first service station stop:

There are only a few problems that I can find with the car...

1) Although the brakes are well above the standard of normal they appear almost non-existant! Another brake upgrade or pad change may be in order :-k

2) I must have a fuel leak with how quickly I'm going through the stuff (or maybe the lead foot might be to blame...) ... I feel I need to invest in Shell V Power :lol:

3) I hadn't actually used my current gearknob on the car... Its impossibly short and trying to clutch at the stub of where a gearknob should be whilst careering down the road at substantial speed isn't great. This will be resolved shortly.

Anyway back onto today's events...

Eventually my pregnant partner decided that it was time that I return home and actually spend some time with her this weekend. How inconsiderate and selfish! :lol: So that called for some time adding/sorting bits on the car on the driveway instead of enjoying the car on the open road

So... I fitted some of these:

What a car!! I has a sleeper look to it whilst still being slightly more aggressive than standard with a few little trick bits on it. The looks are now pretty much 100% where I want them. I like the fact that from the outside this doesn't scream that it has a big engine on-board. It certainly surprised several Porsche drivers today :lol:

How she was sitting after a lengthy run today;

I then fitted Rev3 wiper arms with new Bosch Super+ blades

Then came some quick interior work...
Before

After

I then decided to fiddle with the tweeter area a bit. I noticed on the motorway drive that the air sound from this area was quite noticeable (yes some things could be heard over the engine :lol: ) I had previously replaced the screws, tried the velcro method and also filled with foam. The foam worked the best to lessen the road/wind noise but wasn't brilliant. Having done some research I found that the best method found yet was to fill the area with silicone. This acts to absorb some of the vibrations as well fill all the unnecessary holes which is where the sound originates from.

So the tweeter areas went from this:

To this:

This has been left to go off but should have a marked improvement! I've still got to fit sound deadening to the doors as well. This may get done this week if I can get out of the driver's seat.

I also replaced these:

With a new fan styled one:

There are x2 dents on the passenger door which I've noticed. Not sure when they were picked up but its no worry. There is no paint damage so I'm trying to trace down a paintless dent remover currently. This will be fixed by the end of the week... In fact I might get them to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and remove every tiny dent blemish they can find :-k

All in all an amazing day with a brilliant car/engine combo. Its so good I can't believe that they didn't do something similar from the factory! Thanks again Peter :thumleft:

That's about it for today. It's been a long day and I'm knackered!!
Off to send everything I need to the insurance company, research petrol shares :lol: and then off to bed. Plenty more updates for tomorrow though weather dependent.

ashley

Post by ashley »

:thumleft:

That is all
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Superb read :) I'd love to see this car in the flesh... Beautiful workmanship under that engine cover...

Always good to hear someone so happy and excited with their car.

Absolute belter!

Return to “Member Profiles”