The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by ashley »

Hope the weather's better down at SRR than it is here or else the road test will be "interesting"!

Good luck chap :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Hope all went well at mappers mate. :thumleft:

For everyone else, Phil's boot carpet cutting skills for Chargecooler swirl pot hoses and brackets:

:lol: :lol: :wink:
ashley

Post by ashley »

:tumbleweed:
andya24

Post by andya24 »

ashman wrote::tumbleweed:

This ^^^^
Boost goes up fuel goes down....thats the way the cookie crumbles my friend!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

So then, yesterday... It was certainly an interesting day, in many ways, as you'll see later on...

I set off for the journey down to SRR, with the weather being as evil as ever :( I've tried to make a point of never driving the '2 in the wet for a couple of reasons. No 1. It takes that long to clean it afterwards. No 2. Most importantly, because these things can be evil in the wet and it's just not worth the risk. In this instance I didn't have any choice.

Not the best of conditions to be taking a newly modified car to be tuned in :|

As advised I drove it down there almost completely off boost, as if it was an NA instead of a tubby. As a result it only took half a tank to make the 155 mile trip

Arrived safe and sound, met Ryan (great guy!) and popped onto the dyno

A quick vid of SRR in action
http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w37 ... GA0798.mp4

Tuning began. No idea what was being done here :-k

Setting up AFR I'm guessing?

Running without the EVC, so the 1 bar limit of the wastegate

And another

EVC on it became apparent something wasn't quite right, as it was shooting up to near 2 bar!

A bit of meddling by Ryan later we were back on track. However it became apparent that something else wasn't quite right, as power was coming in then dropping off, but with a load of torque (circa 370ft/lb!). Out came the spanners, off came the cam cover and sure enough they were slightly out #-o Disappointing however the end result i was more than happy with, espeically the torque figure

Took it out for a very wet test drive and it pulled like a damn train! Ran a few diags and the end result was the engine was rock solid and healthy :thumleft: Ryan reckons that after dialling in the cams i should easily see 400bhp+ with similar torque to the current set-up.

I left a happy camper, very impressed with Ryan and his work. The car felt sublime, a whole new Mule was born :D There's very little lag, which Ryan also commented on (larger pistons? :-k ), it feels solid and my god it shifts! And so began the long journey home..

The weather was hideous! To the point where you start to feel unsafe driving a modern German diesel, with all driving assists, let along a freshly tuned mid-rear weapon :shock:

And so the story shifts into something less cheery..

Crept my way down the M40, down the A43 and was coming around the bend which leads up to the M1/A43 junction. Was presented with a huge pool of water half way around the bend, 0 grip, car aquaplaned, back end came out, corrected (too much), back end flicked back, up the curb, hit a metal fence and bounced back into the road! #-o Luckily nobody was around, so no other dangers and nobody hurt. I knew things were bad as when I pulled off the back end was fishtailing around :( Luckily I was right at the entrance to the services, so pulled in to see how bad things were

The results :sick:

Front bumper damaged, NS front wing damaged, NS door scratached, NS rear wing damaged, NS front fog damaged, NS side lights damaged, NS headlights damaged, NS tail lights damaged, both NS wheels buckled badly, NS rear wheel pointing in the wrong direction so probably suspension of wishbone damage?

Sat in the services for 4 hours waiting for recovery and feeling sorry for myself, eventually got home at 2am, moved the car into the garage, went to bed around 2:30am shattered and pretty sad.

Spoke to a few people yesterday after it had happened and got some great support :thumleft:

Right now I'm off out to see the scope of the damage. Then it's time to decide where things go from here I guess.

Sad times. I had the car I'd been working towards for a total of 80 miles, before fate took it away. Sad times people, sad times :(
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sh*t damn f*ck f*ck f*ck

G U T T E D for you mate (and I can relate to how you must feel)...

Still- it has to be said: thankfully you are OK

Sh*t

Let me know if I can help you recover it :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

...what size are your wheels- I have a couple spare Te37's...?
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

You'll be fine Phil. The damage does'nt look too bad. Ash's car looked much worse and now look he's got the best one on here :wink:

If Ash has the wheels and I have the rear suspensions arms ect to give the rest will be cosmetic.
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

sad times m8 hope you get it fixed soon
craig

Post by craig »

Phil. Mate. I'm extremely gutted for you. That's sickening! After all that hard work as well! :cry:

I wish you all the best in getting her back to former glory bud :pray:
Moo

Post by Moo »

That is so sad to see after all your efforts :( Gutted for you Phil, I really am :(

Glad you're ok. Hopefully the damage won't be too bad and you can get the mule back to it's former glory.

Chin up mate :thumleft:

Guessing you're fully comp? Maybe get it done on the insurance?

I know it's early days but if the damage is repairable and you need spares I can donate you a set of headlights. I've also got a set of amber triangles you can have if that's all that's broken on the rear lights. Wish I could help you out more but that's all I've got that would be any good to you.

Your wheels will be repairable if Ash's don't fit. Mine are currently being refurbed at this place.

http://www.rimtecrefurbs.co.uk/

They can repair all sorts of damage, including buckles, dents, missing bits etc and do refurbs too.

If i can help you out in any way let me know :thumleft:
Last edited by Moo on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

:shock:

So sorry, that certainly is an ar$e! Still hopefully all repairable as folks have said...

Here to help too chap if I can, plus bonus you have experience of front bumper removal and replacement now too ;) ...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
stephano

Post by stephano »

noooooooooooooooo!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
i feel your pain.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

bummer :(

Looks like a lot of work putting that right or even a re-shell is the way i'd go
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thanks for your kind words guys, really appreciated :)

Just given the car a good look over and it's not pretty but it's not as bad as it could have been.

The fog currently resides on the passengers seats

I only fitted these a couple of months or so ago #-o

The fight I had to get this sodding thing back on just the other day!

Repairable? Looks pretty far gone to me

Front wing

Just a few scratches

Flanks

Rear end and lights

This would explain why the rear wheel is on the p1$$

Scratched pretty badly, with a bit of a buckle

OS front has a puncture for some unknown reason?!

Bumper bar sticking through. Any obvious damage?

This, this bit is a titan. The heart of The Mule still beats and it beats strong. It wants to live! :thumleft:

So all in all not as bad as it could have been. Anybody got any Carib Blue import panels lying around? :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashman wrote:...what size are your wheels- I have a couple spare Te37's...?

I'll be honest and admit I'm not a wheel expert in any way. This is the sticker on the NS rear
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Moo wrote:That is so sad to see after all your efforts :( Gutted for you Phil, I really am :(

Glad you're ok. Hopefully the damage won't be too bad and you can get the mule back to it's former glory.

Chin up mate :thumleft:

Guessing you're fully comp? Maybe get it done on the insurance?

I know it's early days but if the damage is repairable and you need spares I can donate you a set of headlights. I've also got a set of amber triangles you can have if that's all that's broken on the rear lights. Wish I could help you out more but that's all I've got that would be any good to you.

Your wheels will be repairable if Ash's don't fit. Mine are currently being refurbed at this place.

http://www.rimtecrefurbs.co.uk/

They can repair all sorts of damage, including buckles, dents, missing bits etc and do refurbs too.

If i can help you out in any way let me know :thumleft:

Thanks Paul :thumleft:

I'll pay for the work, as with cars like this the insurance will try and find a get out clause for sure. It's all (well most of it) stuff I was looking at doing eventually any way.

The lights etc would be great though please :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sorry mate- different sizes #-o
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote::shock:

So sorry, that certainly is an ar$e! Still hopefully all repairable as folks have said...

Here to help too chap if I can, plus bonus you have experience of front bumper removal and replacement now too ;) ...

Three times in a week, so I'll have it down to a tee :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashman wrote:Sorry mate- different sizes #-o

Unless I can source two more the same? :-k

Are yours 17s?

Return to “Member Profiles”