**UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Conan

Re: **UPDATED** 1991 Rev 1 (Beastly V6 1MZ-FE VVTI) **UPDATED**

Post by Conan »

Looking good matey! :thumleft:

Really hoping "by the end of July" is the final deadline!!! What a long wait, but what a beautiful result (so far). I'm sure it's going to be stunning!!! :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

juliankv73 wrote:
Wow :shock: youve got some machine there Karl!

Once you get her back, a good detailing and some nicely placed mirrors will show her in full effect both inside, out and under \:D/

mmm What would show her off even better???

A KO Racing highly polished engine shroud!

Then you can show off the V6 in all its glory :twisted: :thumleft:

Looking good. My old Lexan blinds will look pauper-ish in comparison to all the JDM and V6 goddies you have there!

Thank you - I've invested some serious time and effort getting it to the stage that its at and I love it. It's always nice to hear that other people like what I've done with her though and appreciate how difficult it is to get a vehicle to this stage :thumleft:

It certainly does need a good detailing session inside and out again :lol: I used to clean it at least once a week regardless of if it had gone outside. She's now in her 11th month of being with Peter and is showing that she needs a clean. Don't worry it will be sorted upon its return and I think that cleaning the sills will make the biggest quick difference on the outside.

I agree that some nice mirrors would set it all off perfectly. I'm partial to East Bear or Ganador mirrors, but I think she will probably stay like this for a while as my spare money will probably go on the baby by then.

I did consider a mirrored engine shroud before but I prefer a "less is more" approach. I think that keeping the engine bay as it is would mean keep it looking more original and OEM+

I love the Lexan blinds - they are the jewel in the crown. I certainly wouldn't be without them. Thanks again for that :thumleft:

Conan wrote:Looking good matey! :thumleft:

Really hoping "by the end of July" is the final deadline!!! What a long wait, but what a beautiful result (so far). I'm sure it's going to be stunning!!! :thumleft:

I need it back by then Conan as it looks like I'm going to be using this as a daily driver for a bit. We cant justify running x3 cars with a little one on the way but I've agreed that Nics car is the one that needs to be sold :lol:

EOR will certainly keep me awake on the way to and from work :lol:

On a side note the postie delivered a new radiator cap to replace that shoddy old one today :mrgreen:

Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Well EOR has been booked in for the custom exhaust fabrication on Thursday, and it will be MOTd after that.

In the meantime Peter has been working on the spaghetti junction that is the wiring with the aim to have it fired up this weekend. It's getting close now, so here are some photos to enjoy.

The original 3sfe loom unwrapped (my idea of hell!!)

This look then got split apart and section into a needed and un-needed pile. So these are the parts of my 3sfe loom destined for the bin

And the bits that are required:

Peter then started to wire and splice everything... This bit is still a working progress. So the new ECU got mounted in same place as old ECU ensuring that the carpet will fit as it did before. The Lexus loom is the one over the ECU, and the 3S-FE loom wires are to the right.

The loom in the lower section of the photo has been appropriately soldered and wrapped. This isn't finished yet though...

The final step was the ignition test to ensure that the dash lights illuminate

A MAF adaptor plate has been purchased and dispatched from the states, and there's a few other bits and bobs that are being sorted out on it currently. There's still a lot to do before fire up but it isn't a million miles away :thumleft:

So this is what is left:

- Finish wiring the engine
- Source and fit aftermarket air intake
- Wire engine lid fans
- Alter speedo so it isn't cable driven
- Reset odometer to 0 (in discussion as to if its worth doing)
- Fit original JDM flare & holder
- Wire internal clock in
- Sort out nasty knocking on the front of the car (no knocking found - will double check on the test drive)
- x4 wheel alignment
- Custom exhaust fabrication and fitting (Thursday)
- MOT

synXero

Post by synXero »

The intake on the Paul woods conversion was a really big deal, and totally bespoke. I hope you guys get it dealt with reasonably simply.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

synXero wrote:

The intake on the Paul woods conversion was a really big deal, and totally bespoke. I hope you guys get it dealt with reasonably simply.

I do love Paul's air intake

I don't plan to have anything that fancy at this stage although I do love what Paul has done with it. It might be that when I have the money in the future I approach him and request he make one just to finish off my engine bay perfectly as they look OEM+ and would be in keeping with the car :mrgreen:

Well the car has progressed some more...

The new braided clutch hose has been fitted (I must remember to clean up that area of the car!!)

Following this Peter finished lengthening and fitting rear A/F sensor. Rear manifold already fitted, so rear of engine finished. There was a slight fuel leak so Peter ordered new injector O rings and fitted them. The fuel system was then tested with no leaks and so the fuel system is officially finished.

The engine was put back together and an uprated front engine mount fitted at the same time. The clutch hydraulics were bled several times to ensure it all operated as it should.

Peter then re-routed and lengthened the alternator/engine bay fan wires from the front cam cover (above exhaust manifold) to in the V section of the engine. This was done to prevent any future issues with engine heat destroying cables.

The alternator bracket was then trimmed to allow proper clearance for the coolant pipe on bulkhead. All engine mount bolts and suspension bolts were checked for tightness, and the accelerator cable was secured to the bulkhead in order to keep it away from the exhaust manifold. The main engine earth cable was fitted along with some of the new coolant hose parts that have arrived (two more parts on their way).

And last but not least the front manifold. This needed the flange cutting off and repositioning ready for the custom down pipe being fabricated. So Peter removed the thin heat shield fixed around it, and found a massive crack in it - about 3" long! Sod's law. You can see it here:

The crack was welded up he then cut and shut the flange, and has also welded on a new A/F sensor bung on the side of the manifold, as it's current position interferes with the bulkhead heat shield.

The engine bay is currently looking like this:

EOR was then loaded up on Tuesday and went to Exhausts UK on Wednesday afternoon so that they can start work on it first thing this morning. It should take around 3 working days to get everything perfect with the exhaust and delivered back to Peter. The entire exhaust system is being custom made from scratch.

Here she is being loaded up to go

Peter is still waiting for a few cooling system parts and is currently working on the front manifold whilst the car is out of the workshop. Once this is completed here is the to do list

- Wire engine lid fans
- Alter speedo so it isn't cable driven
- Reset odometer to 0 (in discussion as to if its worth doing)
- Fit original JDM flare & holder
- Wire internal clock in
- Sort out nasty knocking on the front of the car (no knocking found - will double check on the test drive)
- x4 wheel alignment
- Then the dreaded MOT!!

Looks like its on for collection at the end of the month :mrgreen:

Conan

Post by Conan »

Looking great matey! :thumleft:

The Odo reset is fiddly but I would say it's worth it.

Can't believe this weather and we're both still out of our 2's... :cry:
tsango

Post by tsango »

Looks like we'll both be getting our cars back very soon Karl (just as the rain arrives - ha ha!!)

Hopefully I'll be able to have a quick look at yours when I go up to see mine this week.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Conan wrote:Looking great matey! :thumleft:

The Odo reset is fiddly but I would say it's worth it.

Can't believe this weather and we're both still out of our 2's... :cry:

Thanks bud :thumleft:

I agree, I think that the odo reset would be a nice touch to complete it all. We shall see what happens.

I think you spoke to soon regarding the weather! :lol: the weather is rubbish now and the huge thunderstorm the other day kept the dogs howling all night which in turn kept me awake all night, (the dogs probably also kept my neighbour up all night as well, oops)

The only nice thing about driving my car in this weather is going to be sitting in the comfortable dry knowing that I don't have a leaking t-bar! :lol:

I'm surprised yours is still out of action as well :shock:

tsango wrote:Looks like we'll both be getting our cars back very soon Karl (just as the rain arrives - ha ha!!)

Hopefully I'll be able to have a quick look at yours when I go up to see mine this week.

Fingers crossed the car will be completed soon - I know Peter is on track with it currently so I'm hopeful.

You may well catch a glimpse of mine before it goes off to the mot test centre. If you do feel free to post up and let us know your views on it. Any feedback good or bad is well received as it allows me to focus on parts of the build that I might have neglected through thoughtlessness.

Ps the car doesn't look that good in the flesh its all done by very careful camera work :mrgreen:

Anyway - the car is back with Peter, who has done more small bits and bobs on it such as fitting the flare, internal clock, etc... However the main photo worthy alteration is the new addition of a custom full stainless steel exhaust system. It looks great in the photos, so fingers crossed its similar in person.

I dread to think how loud this car is going to be (although I'm pretty sure this exhaust is noticeably smaller than my last one) :lol:

I clearly need to jump in my pit and whip out the wire brush and waxoil again so just ignore that on the above photo

Very chuffed
Should be fired up shortly pending a few deliveries such as the MAF adaptor plate :thumleft:
Last edited by KarlBristol on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashley

Post by ashley »

KarlBristol wrote:custom full aluminium exhaust system

Typo??

Looking good mate :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

ashley wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:custom full aluminium exhaust system

Typo??

Looking good mate :thumleft:

#-o it was a long day
Well spotted, its a full stainless steel system .... Off to edit it now.

Thanks, I'm well chuffed with it; just intrigued to see what it sounds like now

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Mmm new metalwork =P~
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Magic Beans wrote:Mmm new metalwork =P~

Lol, I must admit I do like new shiny metalwork. The photos are showing me a few bits under the car that need cleaning up so I look forward to doing that soon to get it all looking equally squeaky clean.

I still can't wait to see my new heater controls :lol: I'm having a plan of some new improved lighting options, the boot and frunk are certainly high on my priority list. As the car is looking like it will be a daily driver for a short period soon I need to at least see what's in the boot.

When the car is ready for collection I will give you a shout.
That way you can see my new metal work and I can see your new bike engined toy :mrgreen:

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I can't believe that you've still not seen them, after all this time :shock: Your warranty will expire soon too :mrgreen: :lol:

SMD strips are your best bet, so long as you get a good 12v even when the engine is off. I can give you see links for things I've tried in the past if you want? :)

God knows what I'll be driving :-k :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Exhaust's looking great Karl, very stealth! Especially hidden behind the grill. :twisted:
synXero

Post by synXero »

The engine bay looks superb.

It's a shame the engine is back to front and therefore the text is the wrong way round though :lol:

It's going to pull the pants off a 3S-FE, that's for sure.
craig

Post by craig »

Will be checking this beast out in the flesh today. :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

Give us a start up and burn out video already!
nimz

Post by nimz »

Just spent the last hour trawling through this thread, can't wait to get my first mr2 next weekend and start tinkering. Inspiring stuff, bonkers & brilliant - bravo.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Magic Beans wrote:I can't believe that you've still not seen them, after all this time :shock: Your warranty will expire soon too :mrgreen: :lol:

SMD strips are your best bet, so long as you get a good 12v even when the engine is off. I can give you see links for things I've tried in the past if you want? :)

God knows what I'll be driving :-k :lol:

I know they have been fitted a while - the cars been there for a long old time and I don't think they were fitted long after it went up. I'm sure I won't need a warranty on your lights though.... Famous last words :mrgreen:

I did expect a full Magic Beans car lighting shop to be up and running by now. I was hoping for various pre-made plug and play options to be available for me to spend my money on :lol:

If you could send some links over it would be appreciated - I'm sure this is going to be one of the first things I alter when I get the car back in order to make it more usable.

The mule gets picked up this weekend doesn't it?

RedMR² wrote:Exhaust's looking great Karl, very stealth! Especially hidden behind the grill. :twisted:

That's good to hear, thanks mate
I do like still having the grill there, I know a lot of people cut them off or bend them up but mine is staying firmly in place

synXero wrote:The engine bay looks superb.

It's a shame the engine is back to front and therefore the text is the wrong way round though :lol:

It's going to pull the pants off a 3S-FE, that's for sure.

Thanks bud
I know the writing being the wrong way around is a little annoying - not exactly anything that I can do about it though.... Unless I buy a second cover grind off the lettering and get some custom made letters done up :-k

You've got me thinking now :whistle:

It will certainly destroy the 3SFE engine - I can't wait!!

synXero wrote:Give us a start up and burn out video already!

I wish!! :lol:

nimz wrote:Just spent the last hour trawling through this thread, can't wait to get my first mr2 next weekend and start tinkering. Inspiring stuff, bonkers & brilliant - bravo.

Thank you - it's nice to know that others like the car as well and appreciate all the time, effort and money that's gone into it.

Stick up a thread regarding your new MR2, it would be good to see some photos of a car that's new to the forum.

If there's anything I can help with when you get yours then just drop me a PM :thumleft:

So the latest update regarding my car

The MAF adaptor was delivered

The throttle body attachment has started to be built so that it can all be put together and run

I've been told that it should be running today, so fingers crossed...
It will be nice to see the entire air intake system put together and painted up :thumleft:

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Well by Saturday morning the pipes were due to be cut to size, the adaptor sanded, primed, painted and lacquered. It was all then due to be pieced together and the car up and running over the weekend.

It hasn't exactly got that far as the pipes weren't playing ball....

The second pipe has been cut to size and the writing on the adaptor has been ground down as below:

Adaptor should be painted etc tomorrow

Return to “Member Profiles”