Steve's 1.5 SE build thread

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

OlberJ

Re: Steve's 1.5 SE build thread

Post by OlberJ »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:
Just one thing to ask Paul, i notice the marrying up of many MK1 to MK2 stuff which takes some initial thinking out, out of curiosity what is the difference timwise to building your first conversion & doing a conversion nowadays ?, keep up the great work, all the best, "The Jinx meister" :lol:

Don't let him kid you on Jinxy, these things take you at least a year first time around =;
HarveySS

Post by HarveySS »

Not been about for a while, but good to see you are still making customers smile with plenty of horsepower Paul :D Looking good mate, keep the work up and pics coming :)
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

PW@Woodsport wrote:yup,that pretty much says it all... hopefully one day i will just be able to shout at my spanners and they will go do it for me :)

:lol: :lol: classic :clap: :clap: :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

hey harvey good to see you are still kicking around mate :thumleft:
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

PW@Woodsport wrote:yup,that pretty much says it all... hopefully one day i will just be able to shout at my spanners and they will go do it for me :)

That's no way to talk about your fellow workers Paul. [-X

:clown:

Excellent work. :thumleft: It keeps reminding to to post up Tom's conversion on my car sometime. (And my rebuild after I stacked it!!!) I'll do it one day soon. :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

cheers fella,a build thread of yours is alreasy on TB though isnt it? maybe im confusing it with someone elses?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Today saw the start of all the "little jobs" that take time,first of all i connected up the two radiator hoses,we use the old mk1 hoses for this and cut them to suit.

Also the heater hoses go connected up and the fuel lines connected,nothing worthy of a picture as its just plug n play stuff.

After that the throttle body went back on....

And the turbo outlet pipe and also mounted the alternator....

next the bov was added....

After that the AFM pipework,AFM and filter were added,and brackets made to support this and also the coolant filler point attached...

So here's an overview of how it looks now... still got a mountain of stuff to do but its getting there...

SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

PW@Woodsport wrote:cheers fella,a build thread of yours is alreasy on TB though isnt it? maybe im confusing it with someone elses?

Tom's work is on there but then I stacked it. I've rebuilt it into a different car now and tracked it once (No MOT yet). I'll find it on TB and get it updated asap....
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I notice there's an atmospheric dump valve on with the AFM. Is this compulsory or the customers choice? I always struggled fueling wise making an atmos' dump valve work with the AFM :oops:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

the customer has been advised that an atmospheric dump valve is not the ideal choice on an AFM'd car however steve wishes to keep this BOV set up...and no its not compulsory to have an atmos BOV on a 1.5 swap,i usually fit the stock recirc unless the customer requests otherwise.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

today i removed the mk2 turbo outer CV joints and fitted the new St185 ones,they are a straight swap and make mk2 turbo shafts compatable with mk1 hubs...

So with the driveshafts fitted thats the drivetrain complete.

I had a long hard look at the intercooler pipe set up i had planned and decided it was going to majorly suck,ive been looking to update the way ive been doing the mk1 turbo intercooler piping for some time so i decided to do away with the turbo outlet pipe and make my own that would be better flowing and fit better in and out of the engine bay....

This pipe has had the BOV fitting welded onto it and still needs painting but you get the idea....

This will run into the boot and into the IC and return on the opposite side of the inlet manifold.

Also today i got the speedo cable and throttle cable hooked up and sorted out lots of little jobs that arent worth mentioning.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Keep up the great work Paul, im loving this thread :thumleft:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I'm loving this thread too, only bad thing is i'm trying to think where i can get the money for a conversion when i'm spose to be saving for a new car.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

If you have a choice where to put the dump valve on the re-piping plan would it be an idea to move it really close to the throttle butterfly? This will aid re-spool and quicken up getting back on boost after a 'dump' since the pressure will be in the whole pipework rather than just the short section between turbo and dump valve? Furthermore, as the dump valve opens the pressure up against the back of the butterfly starts to dissipate back down the pipework in the reverse direction towards the dump valve. Having the dumpvalve up by the butterfly would prevent this back pedaling of airflow.

Just a thought :-k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

im keeping the bov closer to the turbo as toyota intended.... this releases the pressure instantly at the turbo on throttle closing,so in my mind its doing its job better (protecting the turbine blades from back pressure).

Id say its better to have it closer to the turbo in terms of it doing its job better but to be honest ive heard people discuss it a lot re performance gain and i cant say im swayed either way by the arguments,the pressure in the whole IC system drops to vacuum instantly regardless of where its placed and boost pickup seems pretty instantaneous too.

Im happy with it near the turbo like toyota designed,its dropping pressure at the turbo blades far quicker than if mounted at the throttle.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

It just took me all day to replace rear discs and pads and drill out 3 snapped bolts so I can do away with the cable ties holding on the rear undertray! :roll:

I am in awe :salut:
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

That's a good point, it'll protect the turbo better for sure. Out of interest and just for kicks if you can work (and weld) as fast as you do perhaps try both ways round, have a drive and a feel? :mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

to be honest ive built them both ways with the bov on the hot and cold side and it makes no difference,well not one you can feel anyway.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

i decided to completely redo the intercooler pipework,i wasnt happy with it to be honest,and im a bit of a perfectionist so some nice polished aluminium was bought and i refitted the BOV in a different place....

I think this way is far nicer on the eye and probably better performance wise too,here is the boot set up now,ive had to remove some of my previous framework to accommodate the new pipe routing.... the way its being done now the hot pipe will be getting rammed by cold air coming up through the engine bay,we have seen the effects of this air with engine lid float on mk1 v6's without a lid catch.

Also this set up gives an unlimited intercooler upgrade fitment in the future.

Also i managed to wire everything up,here it is in the birdsnest stage...

Still lots to do,and probably would be nearly completed by now if i didnt redo the IC pipes,but its better to do things perfect no matter how long they take.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

It's looking great Paul :D i'm not an expert on bovs and the rest you have done but it is looking good :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”