gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: gaaah, first car trouble with the mr2 :( suggestions welcome!

Post by 2mad »

Ok, still got my fingers crossed . good luck mate :pray:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:Ok, still got my fingers crossed . good luck mate :pray:

Same here man, totally hacked off with it to be honest, might just chuck it in the garage for winter :(
2mad

Post by 2mad »

sheppy wrote:

Same here man, totally hacked off with it to be honest, might just chuck it in the garage for winter :(

Would make it easier to work on the car .. weathers not getting any better .. dont get disheartened mate .

Project gtx .. wooo .
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2mad wrote:
sheppy wrote:

Would make it easier to work on the car .. weathers not getting any better .. dont get disheartened mate .

Project gtx .. wooo .

i know, i really want to start throwing money at project gtx but i just can't do it until the car is working :( i need the ignition system and fuel system to be 100% before i do anything :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

right, no real updates as I'm just working too much at the minute, I have another map sensor fitted but the battery is pretty flat so I only managed a couple of wee cranks, reeks of fuel and never started. Same old story really, Gonna order a new o2 sensor tomorrow, I actually have a spare but I think i;d rather just fit a new one, are pattern parts ok for this?

borrowing my brothers massive booster box (one that you plug into the mains) on Tuesday as I'm off work and it'll be daylight. any other sensors that i should be looking at?? pretty sure it;s actually an overfuelling problem now, whe I did get the car started to drive it home it ran like a total pig, Kris who was behind me said there was quite a bit of black smoke too. So, what's causing the overfuelling?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

An o2 sensor isn't going to help, from cold the car is in open loop mode ie. It's not using the o2 sensor reading it only uses the o2 when warm. You can also test your o2 with a multimeter.

Have you checked for air leaks? Getting a fuel pressure gauge may prove useful. Have you confirmed your getting a solid spark every time?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's an odd one, i got a fairly crappy spark with the 8's but a decent spark with the 5k mile old 6's. I' ve not checked for spark with the new bkr6's. I'm also gonna re-gap them as they are pre gapped to 0.8mm.
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Highly doubt its down to plug gaps, that would usually only show itself up under boost.

You sure the line to the fuel regulator on the rail is on and not split as that wold raise fuel pressure at idle and make it run badly not to mention cause a vacuum leak as well.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'll check on tuesday and make sure, horrible coincidence if it is that though. In fact, horrible coincidence if it's anything other than the sensors etc :( although as Luke did say, these coincidences do happen :)
synXero

Post by synXero »

What a pain in the bawsach man. Especially when you were just setting up the spends on this new project. Typical car karma. My beams was always doing this, it's really pretty good that this is your first major annoyance :thumleft:

I really hope the wiring hasn't been fcuked about when the Blitz was originally fitted (this was before your ownership right?) or you're going to have an absolute nightmare getting it fixed...

Wondering if it might be worth getting the old Blitz back temporarily in order to try it with that again. It would eliminate the faulty ecu having caused some sort of harm and it would give you a running car for the mean time. At that stage I might be tempted to take the car to whomever you choose and have the ECU ripped out and a new Link G3/whatever you go for fitted to the current set up. It might seem like a waste of money getting it mapped pre-mods but it would give you a clean slate as it were.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I know man, the car has been as good as gold the whole time i've had it. The new owner of the blitz has told me his car is running fine with it on, also, when i met you guys in Edinburgh, i tried Ians ecu on my car and it ran perfect, so wiring is fine. The next day i put the duffer ecu on simply to move the car in and out of the carwash and it got progressively worse running until it wouldn't start at all. I'm absolutely certain the dud ecu has caused the problem (bearing in mind it had some kind of chip/box attached to it). The only thing in the ignition system the ecu talks to is the igniter, however the black box may have talked to the map sensor. I'll have a proper look at it o. Tuesday, vsry frustrating as i want to just start chucking my cash at project gtx :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Grrr. Excuse typos, on my phone.
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

sheppy wrote:I know man, the car has been as good as gold the whole time i've had it. The new owner of the blitz has told me his car is running fine with it on, also, when i met you guys in Edinburgh, i tried Ians ecu on my car and it ran perfect, so wiring is fine. The next day i put the duffer ecu on simply to move the car in and out of the carwash and it got progressively worse running until it wouldn't start at all. I'm absolutely certain the dud ecu has caused the problem (bearing in mind it had some kind of chip/box attached to it). The only thing in the ignition system the ecu talks to is the igniter, however the black box may have talked to the map sensor. I'll have a proper look at it o. Tuesday, vsry frustrating as i want to just start chucking my cash at project gtx :(

I'm not sure on that as you said you put blitz back on afterwards of fitting first ecu and it worked. Then wouldn't work again after a few swaps.

Sensors like they say or maybe a wire has a slight break or bad connection in it and it's been disturbed.
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I've maybe miscommunicated what has actually happened, this is the order the ecus went on and off. Blitz off (before i sold it)then dud ecu on, realises it doesn't work, blitz ecu on. Car runs perfect.Working rev3 ecu on for test. Car runs perfect. Sold blitz so ships it off. Puts dud ecu back on to move the car 6 feet, car stops running/starting. Working rev3 ecu turns up, car still doesn't start. Messes about with plugs etc, manages to gete car to splutter into life, drives it home but doesn't run great. Won't start the next day and hasn't since :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I did think maybe a dodgy wire/connector but it all looks like brand new in the boot, might get the multimeter out :(
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

sheppy wrote:I've maybe miscommunicated what has actually happened, this is the order the ecus went on and off. Blitz off (before i sold it)then dud ecu on, realises it doesn't work, blitz ecu on. Car runs perfect.Working rev3 ecu on for test. Car runs perfect. Sold blitz so ships it off. Puts dud ecu back on to move the car 6 feet, car stops running/starting. Working rev3 ecu turns up, car still doesn't start. Messes about with plugs etc, manages to gete car to splutter into life, drives it home but doesn't run great. Won't start the next day and hasn't since :(

A lot of swapping lol but either way the dud ecu is taken off working, blitz on and ran fine still. But dud ecu on and then plays up. If the ecu caused the issue because it's a dud I'd of expected it to happen the first time.

My wires looked all brand new as well as clean in that area but a break is hidden in the plastic coating.worth testing continuity I reckon just to rule out, I hate car electrics!
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah simple and costs nothing too :thumleft:
Torero

Post by Torero »

I feel for you Sheppy. I hope you get this sorted and quickly buddy.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Torero wrote:I feel for you Sheppy. I hope you get this sorted and quickly buddy.

as do I mate :(

ok, so did a bit more digging on the wee box attached to the ecu, turns out this is made by none other than......da da dada!!! Buddy Club!!!

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/sho ... ox-pnp-ecu

it's identical to the one in this thread except no buddy club stickers or plaques, Finding info about it is pretty hard too, If i'm quiet at work today I'll google this till i'm blue in the face.....I'd like to find out exactly what this wee box talks to.

ok, bit more digging show up what it does.

Removes speed cut
Removes fuel/boost cut
Raises or removes limiter
Adds more fuel and possibly adjusts ign timing.

well i can vouch for it adding fuel anyway, used a tenner in about 2 miles!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Just had a thought .. can injectors get stuck open .. would a stuck open injector cause these running issues.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”