[Mk2] [Generic] Ab Flug kit, Finished pic on page 18.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Ab Flug kit, Finished pic on page 18.

Post by C35Rob »

Instead of messing about making new liners (which will probably catch the wheels anywa) you could remove them and give the inner wings a good coat of stone chip (UPOL gravitex is good, and can be tinted to body colour and/or over painted) that's what I'd do anyway..

Also, not sure if it's been noted but make sure you use steel rivnuts into the bodywork, not aluminium.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Rob85 wrote:Instead of messing about making new liners (which will probably catch the wheels anywa) you could remove them and give the inner wings a good coat of stone chip (UPOL gravitex is good, and can be tinted to body colour and/or over painted) that's what I'd do anyway..

Also, not sure if it's been noted but make sure you use steel rivnuts into the bodywork, not aluminium.

never even thought of that mate, that's a pretty good idea, as for the rivnuts, what's the difference between using steel and aluminium?? i was hoping to get galvanised steel ones anyway. just waiting on the kit arriving now, then i can get a start on the whole thing :D
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Dissimilar metals together cause corrosion, and steel threads are stronger.. I only use alloy rivnuts in fibreglass.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ah ok noted, cheers man :-D
synXero

Post by synXero »

Rob85 wrote:Also, not sure if it's been noted but make sure you use steel rivnuts into the bodywork, not aluminium.

Really good point and one you'd not want to realise you'd done wrong after!

Excited to see how this goes (and hopefully the car once it's all done)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote:
Rob85 wrote:Also, not sure if it's been noted but make sure you use steel rivnuts into the bodywork, not aluminium.

Really good point and one you'd not want to realise you'd done wrong after!

Excited to see how this goes (and hopefully the car once it's all done)

yeah, i'm looking forward to getting the kit, hopefully it's a decent fit and i can just fit it without too much fuss, i think the plan of action is to fit it, then mark where the arches need cut, cut them then paint the kit and refit, i've managed to find a site that will do 5mm-65mm (hubcentric) spacers, so filling the arches won't be an issue :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

kit arrived today, looks decent, will see how it fits on the car, annoyingly i took the bike to work today so won't be able to test fit until tomorrow :(
synXero

Post by synXero »

Awesome, it turned up quickly.

I'm so skeptical about spacers that size, i'd sooner not run them at all and just put up with the wheels being inboard until you've got the reddies. The spacers will be £100+ if they're actually safe, and they won't be that easy a sell afterwards (maybe Driftworks though). Your call though obviously.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote:Awesome, it turned up quickly.

I'm so skeptical about spacers that size, i'd sooner not run them at all and just put up with the wheels being inboard until you've got the reddies. The spacers will be £100+ if they're actually safe, and they won't be that easy a sell afterwards (maybe Driftworks though). Your call though obviously.

yeah i'm a bit weary about them, price for the rears ar £122 inc VAT, not too fussed about re-selling them :thumleft:

i've seen a few guys using 35mm on the rear, but i'm convinced they wheels still don't sit right :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

just did a bit of research on using such massive spacers, a lot of people saying it'll ruin the bearing etc....a lot of folk (on driftworks forum) saying they've ran similar sizes for ages with no problems, a few guys saying it's no different (stress wise) to running silly offset wheels, some guys even stacking the spacers, like 2x25mm spacers on each side to make 50mm on each side.
synXero

Post by synXero »

IMO don't stack low depth spacers.

I had 15mm hubcentrics. They were quality H&R or the likes of. Expensive too at about 120 quid. The problem is the nuts are very shallow and they loosen easily. Really really tighten them up man, once or twice mine loosened mid dual carriageway, xxxx horrible noise the car makes too.

After a few experiences like that I sold them on. They're great for some people but I am extremely skeptical of them, despite being an advocate before hand. I would do long studs and washer type spacers before doing bolt ons again. Deeper ones may be better as you'll get more nut on though. Just make sure you torque them properly for your shiny new bodykit's sake!!

I reckon the stress on the hub is equal between super low et wheels and large spacers. Fact is they aren't designed to cope for it so it will up the stress on them. Then again they're easy replaced really so it's a risk you can afford to take.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i'll get my 6 foot tightening (or slackening) bar on them :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

just had a thought, if the nuts are shallow, would I get 2 on the one thread?? thus completely eliminating and loosening :-k i'm more worried about the fitment of the kit now, everything looks great but the arches aren't as round as they should be, the outer edge isn't too bad, but the inner edges are gonna need some work :(
Nic

Post by Nic »

sheppy wrote:i'll get my 6 foot tightening (or slackening) bar on them :)

Don't over tighten them as that could lead to broken studs, torque them to the manufacturers spec and use thread lock.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nic wrote:

Don't over tighten them as that could lead to broken studs, torque them to the manufacturers spec and use thread lock.

Haha, yeah man :-D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nic wrote:

Haha, yeah man :-D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ok, wee quaestion for the guys who've fitted these arches, are the screw/rivets/rivnuts enough to hold these on?? i can't help get the feeling after looking at them, that they'd need tigerseal or similar too, all the rivets would be at the top of the arch with no support at the bottom, hard to explain what i mean without being able to show you, are the rivets (or whatever you use) enough to hold the things securely??
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Good question and again its one for Magic Beans ( sorry Phil ) as my car has never left the garage since I fitted them.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Weird, I did reply last night. Well, I've replied to something anyway :-k :lol: I've reached that age 8-[

I had 0 issues holding mine on. Just make sure you get the threaded fixings properly mounted in the bodywork and the bolts holding the arches in will do the rest.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Magic Beans wrote:Weird, I did reply last night. Well, I've replied to something anyway :-k :lol: I've reached that age 8-[

I had 0 issues holding mine on. Just make sure you get the threaded fixings properly mounted in the bodywork and the bolts holding the arches in will do the rest.

yours were mounted by the bolts only yeah?? that's good enough for me as i'm sure you did some ridiculous speeds in the mule :shock:

Return to “Modifications”