Bedford autodrome, Sat 22nd February - GT Circuit

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gavsdavs

Re: Bedford autodrome, Sat 22nd February - GT Circuit

Post by gavsdavs »

Ben wrote:Tis a beast of a car you have there! I love how the camera was gently swinging under cornering :lol:

Did you notice me giggling after the kink on the back straight - the lotus that I let past outbraked himself and the BMW we overtook span out. I got through it !!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Looks awesome, I realy need to get on track with mine. Was very tempted to go with you lot but my cars mot was due.

Is there anyone wanting to do another in march?

gavsdavs wrote:A lap in mine...
http://youtu.be/NovveZ_BwW4

Love your laugh at the guy who goes off in the other cary. :mrgreen:
Ben

Post by Ben »

gavsdavs wrote:
Ben wrote:Tis a beast of a car you have there! I love how the camera was gently swinging under cornering :lol:

Did you notice me giggling after the kink on the back straight - the lotus that I let past outbraked himself and the BMW we overtook span out. I got through it !!

Yep, saw that! Was it the Jensen we saw do the same thing? :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Ben wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:

I didn't see that, but I have to come clean, I span out twice on that corner during the day. And once with you. All good learning..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Race Idiot wrote:Looks awesome, I realy need to get on track with mine. Was very tempted to go with you lot but my cars mot was due.

I could be tempted, Pete and I are already booked in at Blyton in March. Not sure what dates are available... :-k
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
Ben

Post by Ben »

gavsdavs wrote:
I didn't see that, but I have to come clean, I span out twice on that corner during the day. And once with you. All good learning..

Well, yes, but I didn't exactly have a fault-free day ;)

Previous:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Ben wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:Looks awesome, I realy need to get on track with mine. Was very tempted to go with you lot but my cars mot was due.

I could be tempted, Pete and I are already booked in at Blyton in March. Not sure what dates are available... :-k

Honestly i'm not sure where to start, but from what I read is that bedford is probably the best track to start with due to there not being many things to crash into.

Looking at their website the next trackday is the 8th, but they all have different organisers.

Whats blyton like?
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ben wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:

It was I have that on camera
JD

Post by JD »

Ben wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:

You mean the Reliant Scimitar!

I had an awesome time, learnt more about how my car handles and absolutely loved it. I hope I didn't hold too many people up on track as I was taking it easy for most of the day.

Good company, good weather, and a nice mix of cars on track :)

Gavin do you have that video of me talking to myself in your car round the circuit?

I've definitely got the bug now :)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Well if you guys are doing another trackday soon i'd love to come if you dont mind. Just got my car back from its mot and then i'm going to WIM on friday for an allignment!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Race Idiot wrote:Well if you guys are doing another trackday soon i'd love to come if you dont mind. Just got my car back from its mot and then i'm going to WIM on friday for an allignment!

Of course not! The more the merrier :)

The one at Blyton is actually being organised by a mutual friend for a local charity, it's not the usual Javelin/BaT etc. type day. I do believe it's actually full, but I shall find out and confirm for you.

Otherwise I imagine Pete and I (at the very least!) will be doing one in April sometime, possibly Brands or Castle Combe, not really sure yet. We'll be sure to post up in here when we confirm anything :thumleft:

Previous:
Ben

Post by Ben »

JD wrote:
Ben wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:

I had an awesome time, learnt more about how my car handles and absolutely loved it. I hope I didn't hold too many people up on track as I was taking it easy for most of the day.

Gavin do you have that video of me talking to myself in your car round the circuit?

Haha, yeah that's the one! Really glad you enjoyed yourself :)

How was Gav's mental V6 beast?

Previous:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Ben wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:Well if you guys are doing another trackday soon i'd love to come if you dont mind. Just got my car back from its mot and then i'm going to WIM on friday for an allignment!

Of course not! The more the merrier :)

The one at Blyton is actually being organised by a mutual friend for a local charity, it's not the usual Javelin/BaT etc. type day. I do believe it's actually full, but I shall find out and confirm for you.

Otherwise I imagine Pete and I (at the very least!) will be doing one in April sometime, possibly Brands or Castle Combe, not really sure yet. We'll be sure to post up in here when we confirm anything :thumleft:

Fair enough, theres another day at bedford on the 8th but being a complete noob i'd rather not do this by myself. Also its organised by Track and Tour Events? Never heard of them.
JD

Post by JD »

Ben wrote:
JD wrote:
Ben wrote:

Haha, yeah that's the one! Really glad you enjoyed yourself :)

How was Gav's mental V6 beast?

It would definitely take some getting used to, especially that fly-by-wire throttle but it was very good fun - savage torque straight away :twisted:

I'm trying to convince my dad to let me take his Dolomite now although I imagine I'd cook the brakes after two laps.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Race Idiot wrote:Fair enough, theres another day at bedford on the 8th but being a complete noob i'd rather not do this by myself. Also its organised by Track and Tour Events? Never heard of them.

Not heard of them personally mate, but that doesn't mean much! :lol:

I've asked Frank about Blyton, there may be a couple of spare spaces but he will confirm. It is a fair way up North, just to warn you.

Tbh I probably won't do more than one a month - aside from the stress on the car, it can get quite expensive when you factor in fuel, travel, accommodation etc! I emptied a full tank of Super in my SC in 65 miles on Saturday :shock:

Previous:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Ben wrote:
Not heard of them personally mate, but that doesn't mean much! :lol:

I've asked Frank about Blyton, there may be a couple of spare spaces but he will confirm. It is a fair way up North, just to warn you.

Tbh I probably won't do more than one a month - aside from the stress on the car, it can get quite expensive when you factor in fuel, travel, accommodation etc! I emptied a full tank of Super in my SC in 65 miles on Saturday :shock:

Yeah its probably better for me to wait than do blyton, I think i'd like to stick to the more southern tracks for my first trackday.

I'm just a bit eager because 90% of the time my car is just sitting parked doing nothing! Feels like a bit of a waste, but I couldnt bear to get rid of it.
Ben

Post by Ben »

JD wrote:I'm trying to convince my dad to let me take his Dolomite now although I imagine I'd cook the brakes after two laps.

Dolly would be a lot of fun I imagine! They're not heavy, are they? Should be pretty light on the brakes.... :-k

Previous:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Race Idiot wrote:Yeah its probably better for me to wait than do blyton, I think i'd like to stick to the more southern tracks for my first trackday.

I'm just a bit eager because 90% of the time my car is just sitting parked doing nothing! Feels like a bit of a waste, but I couldnt bear to get rid of it.

Ah, fair enough. In that case, probably best to just have a go! See if you can get a mate along, either in their car or as a second driver to yours. On your first day it's well worth spending the extra £20 for some tuition, it really helps in terms of reading lines, braking points, gears etc. After Blyton I probably won't be doing another until April at the earliest.

Previous:
JD

Post by JD »

Ben wrote:
JD wrote:I'm trying to convince my dad to let me take his Dolomite now although I imagine I'd cook the brakes after two laps.

Dolly would be a lot of fun I imagine! They're not heavy, are they? Should be pretty light on the brakes.... :-k

You're right there - a sliver over a tonne which isn't bad for a small saloon. It puts things in perspective anyway. Discs up front with green stuff and drums on the rear. It's a Sprint at it was recently rolling road tuned and dyno'd at 122hp, not bad for a '73. It's got Spax coilovers and an oil cooler, too. Will Pops trust me? Do I dare?!

Forgot to say, I very much enjoyed going out in both Pete's and Ben's cars as well and thanks for all the advice.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”