PP cars all rubbish?????

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Andy F

Re: PP cars all rubbish?????

Post by Andy F »

Im pretty sure i will be stuck at the 11.1 mark or there abouts
Same as Simon was, i dont think the little gt30 quite has the puff.
i struggle with grip too, my big brakes need a 17" rim so can only
use 888s at best #-o
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

jimGTS wrote:
afennell wrote:Reliability has to play a big role, whats the point of big power if it causes the engine to last only a year.

they prob were reliable 5-10years ago when they were built, lol.

Afennell you wernt tempted this time around for that black one??? Remember you was gutted you couldn't get it last time. :(

Yes mate I was interested, but I’m getting married so have that to save up for instead.
Hopefully next time. :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I'm hoping to pip a late 11 with my setup this year.
(with stock rears and some r888s)
optimistic I guess then going by chris's times.
never been to the strip either, more against me, gulp!! Well been to the pod twice but been washed out! Gutted.

Oh well better aim for low 12s, lol

guy with my turbo in Sweden has made a 10.8 at 2bar tho :-)
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

would like to get mine into the 11s this year if i ever get it finished & mapped again :lol: : want to do it running road tyres :thumleft
greeny

Post by greeny »

Chris wrote:Depends on the finances matey. I have just started my own business and stuff so I need money :lol: Yeah, Simon run a 10.4 at York. He needs to get it down to Santa Pod. It will be interesting to see what it does there.

Sticky tyres are a must especially at York, surface is just getting worse and worse. I can't believe they have not done anything about it. Shame as it would be great if they did. Lets start a petition :thumleft:

Yeah york's struglling to stay open from what i was hearing last year, plus there getting trouble with noise regs etc ](*,)

I think they have volunteers that try to help filling in the potholes :lol:

What you started your own garage?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
greeny

Post by greeny »

Andy F wrote:Im pretty sure i will be stuck at the 11.1 mark or there abouts
Same as Simon was, i dont think the little gt30 quite has the puff.
i struggle with grip too, my big brakes need a 17" rim so can only
use 888s at best #-o

This car runs 9's on a 3082r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmSF3LsShLg

888's are crap, or at least they have been for me.

You can get mickey t's in 17" sizes, obviously wont have as much sidewall but will be better than the R888's.
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

MMmmmm terminal of 141mph thats at least 800bhp....yanks hey!!

Maybe some of those MTs race gas and the boost wound uo to 2.4/5 bar
i will squeeze a 10.9999999999999999

ive lost a bit of interest in drag TBH and thinking of doing the toyota race
thing this year, might even drop from a 3076 to a 28....... :-#
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

afennell wrote:
jimGTS wrote:
afennell wrote:Reliability has to play a big role, whats the point of big power if it causes the engine to last only a year.

they prob were reliable 5-10years ago when they were built, lol.

Afennell you wernt tempted this time around for that black one??? Remember you was gutted you couldn't get it last time. :(

Yes mate I was interested, but I’m getting married so have that to save up for instead.
Hopefully next time. :thumleft:

Never know the blue or red one might be available by then :-)!

All the best for the big day
jim
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

greeny wrote:

You can get mickey t's in 17" sizes, obviously wont have as much sidewall but will be better than the R888's.

do micky ts require some sort of burn out and a line lock to get the best out of them?? Am not a fan of trying to do a burnout.
An info would be good, I got some 15s, no tyres on them yet tho some open to suggestions.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Andy F wrote:MMmmmm terminal of 141mph thats at least 800bhp....yanks hey!!

Maybe some of those MTs race gas and the boost wound uo to 2.4/5 bar
i will squeeze a 10.9999999999999999

ive lost a bit of interest in drag TBH and thinking of doing the toyota race
thing this year, might even drop from a 3076 to a 28....... :-#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVNkBCEtp00

Thats the same car, He says its a 3082r.

It's pretty well setup, he's hit 1.3 60'ft's tripping the beam with the rear wheels on slicks. Made 550rwhp iirc.

Just shows powers not everything!

28 pffft :oldtongue: you'l soon get bored.
greeny

Post by greeny »

jimGTS wrote:
greeny wrote:

do micky ts require some sort of burn out and a line lock to get the best out of them?? Am not a fan of trying to do a burnout.
An info would be good, I got some 15s, no tyres on them yet tho some open to suggestions.

They need a burnout to get the best out of them, but you dont need a line lock!

Why arent you a fan of burnouts, burnouts are fun 8)

Id get urself some slicks Jim if your just gonna use them at the strip.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I don't mind a bit of wheel spin. ;-) Burnout is a little more tricky is it not?
(total noob to drag)

The 15s (rears) will only get used for drag, but I'd still want them road legal and not crazy enough to be possibly breaking driveshafts, (cv joints) or my new shiney 1off manifold :-)
greeny

Post by greeny »

jimGTS wrote:I don't mind a bit of wheel spin. ;-) Burnout is a little more tricky is it not?
(total noob to drag)

The 15s (rears) will only get used for drag, but I'd still want them road legal and not crazy enough to be possibly breaking driveshafts, (cv joints) or my new shiney 1off manifold :-)

A burnout is wheelspin :lol: just get them spinning, then left foot on the brake pedal enough to stop you rolling forward :thumleft:

You'l probably have more luck with slicks being kinda to the drivetrain and gearbox. Wheel hop is whats killed my last gearbox (I think) on R888's. Im hoping the slicks will be a bit kinda.

Im not 100% sure the mickey T drag radials are road legal, they are in the states, but dont think they're legal for road use in the UK. Dont think they have the neccesary safety marks for the EU, of which the name i cant remember.

At the end of the day, when you go drag racing you have to be prepared for things to break :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

greeny wrote:

A burnout is wheelspin :lol: just get them spinning, then left foot on the brake pedal enough to stop you rolling forward :thumleft:

You'l probably have more luck with slicks being kinda to the drivetrain and gearbox. Wheel hop is whats killed my last gearbox (I think) on R888's. Im hoping the slicks will be a bit kinda.

Im not 100% sure the mickey T drag radials are road legal, they are in the states, but dont think they're legal for road use in the UK. Dont think they have the neccesary safety marks for the EU, of which the name i cant remember.

At the end of the day, when you go drag racing you have to be prepared for things to break :thumleft:

perhaps this snow is a perfect time to test this on the spot spinning O:)
(i thought as much with the left foot braking, never been brave enough to try it on a dry round yet tho)

think what i might do is go along with my 18s (lol) the first time i get up the strip, see whats happening, what 60fts im getting, then later in the year pop some slicks on the 15s.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

jimGTS wrote: I bet they hardly work on mr2s these days. Would bet most of there efforts are now on r34 new gtr projects.

R35GTR projects you mean - and yes they have built one of those!

Some years ago I imported a Black Rev2 that was supposedly PP touched - list of modifications long as your arm, sadly it made exactly stock Rev2 power on the dyno....LOL

I wouldn't import a tuned car nowadays, plenty of UK tuners have the knowledge and you know what's done. :thumleft: Even the TRD was supposedly tuned to this and that and was also exact stock power...well until I took it to Rogue. It's such a lottery this importing lark.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

tonigmr2 wrote:
jimGTS wrote: I bet they hardly work on mr2s these days. Would bet most of there efforts are now on r34 new gtr projects.

R35GTR projects you mean - and yes they have built one of those!

Some years ago I imported a Black Rev2 that was supposedly PP touched - list of modifications long as your arm, sadly it made exactly stock Rev2 power on the dyno....LOL

I wouldn't import a tuned car nowadays, plenty of UK tuners have the knowledge and you know what's done. :thumleft: Even the TRD was supposedly tuned to this and that and was also exact stock power...well until I took it to Rogue. It's such a lottery this importing lark.

yeh i ment r34 AND the new GTR (35) :eye:
a gamble is what importing tuned cars is your right, lol.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ah that's alright then. :)

What I mean (not aimed at you Jim just a general point) is it isn't just PP cars - all imported tuned cars are a nightmare IMHO - you never really know what's been done or not. They all seem to need mega work. It just isn't worth it IMHO.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

bare in mind i bought mine without knowing half of the mods...
i just new bigish turbo, cams, pfc...
not much else.
i got lucky finding crap load of parts that all seemed to be pp.
one of those lucky finds i guess.

i took a gamble for sure, my old rev2 was as solid as a rock, i had no reason to sell it and wasnt even looking at a new car until it came up for sale.
day i saw it online, arranged to see it next day, drove 200+miles in the rev2 to view it and bought it! lol
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I was more getting at cars with high levels of tune, I never saw one that didn't cost a lot of money. :mrgreen:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

jimGTS wrote:
greeny wrote:

perhaps this snow is a perfect time to test this on the spot spinning O:)
(i thought as much with the left foot braking, never been brave enough to try it on a dry round yet tho)

think what i might do is go along with my 18s (lol) the first time i get up the strip, see whats happening, what 60fts im getting, then later in the year pop some slicks on the 15s.

Hold the clutch down with your left foot, put in 1st, hold the brake on with the side of your right foot and press the accelerator with the other side of your foot, let go of the clutch (put your left foot onto the brake now if you want.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”