[Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] some progress pics, GT3071R MR2

Post by Chris »

T.F.S. wrote:

but then all i have done is fit a big turbo and manifold with an ECU..i dont have a big spec list like most of the guys on here...its quite minimalistic

Your spec is..

GT3071R, polished, V band option, 4" inlet
motoria (xs power) manifold
XS power downpipe
XS power external wastegate (life expectency= not very long...)
XS power intercooler with shroud and spal 8" puller fan
VSV, TVIS removed
Custom billet fuel rail
870CC Delphi Injectors
FSE adj regulator
aquamist H20/ethanol injection
EGT guage
AEM wideband
oil pressure guage
boost guage
link ECU
expected power output somewhere around 400bhp hopefully

Much more than a £12 MBC, £200 unichip, and exhaust, IC etc. I think it's wasted without a forged engine.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

so apart from the injectors and turbo what part makes more power?

a forged engine will happen later on...this is a bit by bit build and my partner is quite happy with it as it is, im not really too fussed about popping an engine if going for 1.8bar....after all i was told that running what its running now would be impossible and the sky would fall in etc

at the end of the day blowing an engine is no big deal and a stock engine is easy replaced for not a lot of cash thesedays....building a forged engine IS expensive but as mentioned i will get round to that sooner or later

remember its still running 95 octane fuel with a stock engine/headgasket/clutch etc and for what it is im quite happy with it.....
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i asume its mapped for meth?? for you to run meth?
if so, its likely you would have raised your octane levels above 95 anyway and raised chances of det and be able to increase timing loads.

whats it run with no meth?

for comparison, my old rev2 turbo made 301hp, 290lb of torque at 1.2bar on a ct20b, powerFC, rev3 ecu conversion and bolt ons.
greeny

Post by greeny »

T.F.S. wrote:1.2 bar mate

i thought the spool time was ok but i must admit i thought it would net more power allthough the torque is good (feels very quick o the tarmac)

Just realised your only on 95ron petrol aswell, so its not too bad! How come you didnt get it mapped on v-power?

I thought the 3071r would spool a little sooner, but im sure it'l come in quicker on the road. I've got the 40r hitting 200ft/lbs @ 3750, 300ftlb's @ 4700.

Bet it feels good to be out driving it again with the new power :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

well i dont drive it that often, its the girlfriends car...i do get to "test" it now and again though lol

its mapped with methanol and ASDA 95 ron fuel PMSL and no i am not kidding!!! :-k
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Nice to see the follow up posting on your project :thumleft:

So is this a complete XS power GT3071 turbo kit?
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Chris wrote:Are you still thinking of selling?

If the right offer comes along, then yes. Am not in no rush though! Took it for a whizz today! 2 bar through the engine @ 8500rpm just sounds maniac :shock:
M5
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

XS power manifold and downpipe, garret turbo from owens, 0.63 ex

the engine has good compression, its all timed up, i have no misfire, fuelling is good, octane is good, ignition has loads of advance, intake temps are low etc etc

but regardless if it fails to make expected power is this simply where the stock cams and head become restrictive or is there something else at play...the car does feel quite fast on the road...

heres some footage of the speedo, i let it cruise down to 2000rpm in second and then WOT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ0CJ-bZIG8

also

the manifold cracked on the wastegate feed pipe at the collector and needed a weld repair (just to update the thread)
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

V8Killer wrote:

If the right offer comes along, then yes. Am not in no rush though! Took it for a whizz today! 2 bar through the engine @ 8500rpm just sounds maniac :shock:

sounds cool 8)
Chris

Post by Chris »

V8Killer wrote:

Yeah, missing mine for that...However the Skyline howl is a close second :mrgreen: Just not as quick :lol:
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Chris wrote:
V8Killer wrote:

Yeah, missing mine for that...However the Skyline howl is a close second :mrgreen: Just not as quick :lol:

Know what you mean. Noise of a built '2 is hard to beat! The Evo with a 35R through a 2.3 sounds like a kitten in comparison :shock:
M5
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

T.F.S. wrote:XS power manifold and downpipe, garret turbo from owens, 0.63 ex

the engine has good compression, its all timed up, i have no misfire, fuelling is good, octane is good, ignition has loads of advance, intake temps are low etc etc

but regardless if it fails to make expected power is this simply where the stock cams and head become restrictive or is there something else at play...the car does feel quite fast on the road...

heres some footage of the speedo, i let it cruise down to 2000rpm in second and then WOT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ0CJ-bZIG8

also

the manifold cracked on the wastegate feed pipe at the collector and needed a weld repair (just to update the thread)

Just had a proper read of your thread. Looks like it spools pretty quickly and I wouldn't be too disappointed by the lower than expected power level as you probably have at least another 20 to 30 BHP to gain by mapping it on 99 RON rather than the 95 RON just by increasing your ignition timing (assuming you keep your alcohol injection the same).

If you don't mind me asking - what sort of money was it to piece together the entire turbo kit so that it could actually bolt onto the car? (Ie. turbo+adapter, downpipe, wastegate and any additional fabrication work)

Also what nozzle size are you running with your alcohol injection kit?
Chris

Post by Chris »

V8Killer wrote:
Chris wrote:
V8Killer wrote:

Know what you mean. Noise of a built '2 is hard to beat! The Evo with a 35R through a 2.3 sounds like a kitten in comparison :shock:

Yup, Built 2's just sound angry as hell! If I had the money, I'd pop an offer over for yours :mrgreen:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Kongaroo wrote:

Just had a proper read of your thread. Looks like it spools pretty quickly and I wouldn't be too disappointed by the lower than expected power level as you probably have at least another 20 to 30 BHP to gain by mapping it on 99 RON rather than the 95 RON just by increasing your ignition timing (assuming you keep your alcohol injection the same).

If you don't mind me asking - what sort of money was it to piece together the entire turbo kit so that it could actually bolt onto the car? (Ie. turbo+adapter, downpipe, wastegate and any additional fabrication work)

Also what nozzle size are you running with your alcohol injection kit?

turbo was about £1200 new from owens IIRC
manifold, downpipe, ex wastegate from XS power was £250 iirc

im using an aquamist system with the red jet, i believe its 0.8mm?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

gavinda wrote:i see it is which explains why you will struggle to get any more power. the rev2 cams and head do not breathe aswell as rev3.

I was watching this thread closely and thought the same too. Below is a graph from the US forums using a Berk 3071r (.63 single scroll) and as you can see, power is climbing to redline still and the torque curve is extremely impressive hardly dropping at all. Stock 540ccs and ECU too. It was all rev3 however so it clearly makes a big difference top end with flow against the rev2. It's clear evidence that you don't need aftermarket cams to hold power/torque when the standards will do fine AND spool earlier. Ofcourse the cams would gain you extra power top end, but if you can hit your goal of 400bhp without them, then surely it's a waste of cash..?

I'm not sure what is different between the Berk 3071 and the 3071 that this guy has used (probably from the 'guy who can not be named' that begins with TB :wink: ). Anyone know?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

i was planning on keeping stock cams TBH, it does look like the rev3 head breathes better though...

i believe the berk 3071 is a stock garret item (well i thought so?)
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

T.F.S. wrote:i was planning on keeping stock cams TBH, it does look like the rev3 head breathes better though...

i believe the berk 3071 is a stock garret item (well i thought so?)

Not too sure on the Garrett vs Berk thing, but unless this graph was messed around with (doubt it), its concrete proof that the reason you're seeing a bad power drop top end is because of your rev2 head and cams. Change those to rev3 and you will see power climbing and have a MUCH faster car. :thumleft:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Not too sure on the Garrett vs Berk thing, but unless this graph was messed around with (doubt it), its concrete proof that the reason you're seeing a bad power drop top end is because of your rev2 head and cams. Change those to rev3 and you will see power climbing and have a MUCH faster car. :thumleft:

i do seem to have 60lbft more at 4200rpm though which is very handy, i guess thats the trade off for a head thats restrictive higher up?

just updating the thread with current progress...

this manifold has cracked for the third time on the wastegate to collector weld, its a bit of an odd place to crack TBH so i had someone weld it back up and they added a couple of braces to the wastegate to hold the weight but....it cracked again :clap:

i have now sent it away to be welded by someone whos a bit more used to doing this type of work, lets see how it goes after that :-k

pics of said crackz...

whilst its off the road i took attention to the ignition system

seeing as my distributor has started to leak a little oil into the cap it seems a logical time to upgrade the ignition system, i went for 1zz coil on plug type with inbuilt ignitor seeing as the link ECU can control multi coil setup

nice and cheap too...the coils were second hand from a low mileage yaris for £30 and i got the loom from a rav4 for £8 :)

current dizzy/HT lead system

the coils are a very loose fit into the 3S-GTE cam cover so i cut the original HT leads and slid the silicone jacket over the coil to brace them like stock

coil dry fit

the coils have four inputs, looking into the back of the plug
no1= ground
no2= trigger (wire to ECU output)
no3= IGF (not used)
no4= IGN live

i chopped the rav4 loom so i had a good length of wire and replaced the sheath

just for my own reference the wiring is as follows

cyl/loom-G4 output

1/black-blue orange
2/green-blue red
3/blue black-blue brown
4/green black-blue

coils fitted

i needed to shave the outside of the coilpacks on cyl 2/3 to clear the centre cam cover mount thing but other than that it was quite straightforward
:)
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Hi mate, interested in the CoP conversion you've done there. Can you take a quick peek at my thread below, and if you have any info, please let me know?

Also, what coils are you using? I'm using 1ZZ from a Celica, but yours look like 2NZ from a Yaris, although they appear to fit a bit better due to the reduced height and angle of the connecter (flat rather than angled at 30 degress). On cylinder 4 the top of the coil is practically touching the underside of the ST205 CC core which I'd like to avoid as much as possible...

I'm also using a GT3071r on a stock Rev 2 head, so will be interesting to compare power / torque figures once I get the ignition working, injectors fitted and remapped...

Cheers,
Ross

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 9&start=20
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

yea i think i can help you there...ill add some info later on tonight mate

Return to “Modifications”