MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MartG

Re: MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Post by MartG »

Rogue wrote: All of the engines in Lotus cars are available in Toyotas.

Would that extend to the Lotus ECU e.g. the one in the Exige 260 gives a lot more power than the Toyota one
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

MartG wrote:Would that extend to the Lotus ECU e.g. the one in the Exige 260 gives a lot more power than the Toyota one

ECU's are free anyway, but I rather suspect that it's the supercharger that gives the Exige 260 the bulk of it's extra grunt... and that can be used as well!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

does the 150/200/250 refer to the power to weight ratios?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Quigonjay wrote:does the 150/200/250 refer to the power to weight ratios?

Roughly, yes. The numbers equate to the bhp at the wheels of a standard bodied mk2 MR2 weighing 1000kgs.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Just out of interest, how much are the dataloggers in relation to Demontweeks (£499-648+vat) and which Hz is needed, I presume the basic one?

And are there hire options in place for them?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

cartledge_uk wrote:Just out of interest, how much are the dataloggers in relation to Demontweeks (£499-648+vat) and which Hz is needed, I presume the basic one?

And are there hire options in place for them?

Race Technology have agreed to supply the DL1 Powerlogger at a heavily discounted price to registered drivers in the MR2 Championship and MR2 Super GT Series. This version lacks the ability to connect external sensors (such as throttle position or coolant temperature) but otherwise is the same item. Retail price for the DL1 is £499+vat - our price for the cut-down version is just £299.99+vat.

Additionally, the DL1 Powerlogger can be used in conjuction with the Race Technology Dash3lite, which provides shift lights and real-time lap and sector times amongst other useful functions. Package price for a DL1 Powerlogger and Dash3lite is just £449.99+vat.

There will be an option to hire one, but I've yet to work out the prices.
MartG

Post by MartG »

How extensive are the allowed bodywork mods - e.g. if someone turned up with an engine lid like this one

Rogue

Post by Rogue »

MartG wrote:How extensive are the allowed bodywork mods - e.g. if someone turned up with an engine lid like this one

As long as it fits inside the theoretical envelope (roughly 10% longer and wider than a standard car, and no higher- tbc) then pretty much anything goes. I know of at least one person already considering that type of cover.

Modifications like this are very much encouraged.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Rogue wrote:
kaiowas wrote:You might need a minor exception for the "No modifications to suspension pickups" for certain mk1s. Pre Aug 86 the front top mounts only had 3 mounting points, later cars have 4. With the control coilovers being advertised as suitable for 86-89 cars I'm assuming they have 4 bolt top mounts and therefore will not fit an earlier car unless a 4th mounting point is drilled.

Good spot. The controlled suspension kits will not be the same as the retail kits - they'll be particularly valved and sprung for race use. It shouldn't be a problem to have a specific top mount made up to suit early cars but I will double check.

Having thought about this a little more there are a couple of other areas to consider. If you're having a mk1a specific kit made up then you'll also want to look at the tabs where the bottom of the rear strut bolts to the hub carrier. On a mk1a the rear strut is a smaller diameter than mk1b and consequently the spacing between the 2 tabs is smaller (with the top of the hub carrier also being thinner to suit.) Could probably get away with a spacer of some kind but may as well do it properly. If you need a donor car for a long term test fitting I'll be glad to oblige in exchange for putting some Rogue/BC Racing stickers on our mk1a TSS car ;)

Also, anti roll bars. There's not really anything available aftermarket to fit a mk1a (and the stock one is so thin that it's useless) so it's common to fit either a mk1b Whiteline or a mk2 turbo stock rear ARB which, as the mk1b bar is mounted slightly further forward, again involves drilling a couple of mounting holes slightly further back (you reuse the stock rearmost holes for the front of the mount and drill another further back on each side for the rear). Would this be permitted within the rules or does this fall foul of modifying suspension pickups?
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

Excuse my ignorance Patrick, when would this SuperGT series start? I'm just trying to guage whether of not I could get everything done in time.

Also mine is a t-bar model. Do you offer a service whereby i can get the panel's welded.

Lastly, I have just fitted a set of tein lowering springs. Am i able to buy the coilovers at a reduced price without the springs?

Thanks in advance
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

karldavies wrote:Excuse my ignorance Patrick, when would this SuperGT series start? I'm just trying to guage whether of not I could get everything done in time.

I've got the dates for next year's meetings, but don't yet know which we'll be attending. Therefore, we'll kick off either mid-March or early April but if you're not ready in time you can join the series later in the year.

karldavies wrote:Also mine is a t-bar model. Do you offer a service whereby i can get the panel's welded.

We can, although most people don't go to the effort of welding. Give us a call at the office and we can talk you through some solutions.

karldavies wrote:Lastly, I have just fitted a set of tein lowering springs. Am i able to buy the coilovers at a reduced price without the springs?

Yes, you will be able to buy the BC Racing coilover kit at a reduced rate (as will all registered competitors, along with cut-priced R888 tyres), but you won't be able to use them with your Tein springs. Firstly, the regulations stipulate that you must use the BC Racing kit and this comprises damper, spring and top mount, and secondly they wouldn't fit anyway!
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

OK thanks for clearing that up.

Looks like i'll need the coil over kit, roll cage and the tbar sorting.

Do most mk2 owners use 4pots on the front or would the standard rev2+ be sufficient?

Cheers
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Get carbotech pads, then the standard calipers will be more than sufficient!
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

OK thanks for reply.

This is going to get costly LOL

Still, you wont get performance racing as cheap as this I suppose.
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Am I right then, as a bare minimum we'd need an approved cage (I.e from rogue) an fia approved seat and harness, the regulation coilovers and r888 tyres
And the datalogging kit?

Just asking as my budget is quite small but I really want to try anyway?

Bri
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'm assuming you'd need engine cut out switches, plumbed in fire extinguisher and rain lights too, as well as bonnet and engine lid pins :thumleft:
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

And those, I forgot, thanks.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

bri0905 wrote:Am I right then, as a bare minimum we'd need an approved cage (I.e from rogue) an fia approved seat and harness, the regulation coilovers and r888 tyres
And the datalogging kit?

Just asking as my budget is quite small but I really want to try anyway?

This post details the minimum you need to do to an MR2 to race in *any* series:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=126976

Then on top of that you'll need the items you've listed above to race in the MR2 Super GT series. There's no requirement to buy your roll cage from Rogue Motorsport - in terms of approval it must simply conform to the MSA regulations for this class of vehicle. You can also source your datalogger from elsewhere (some competitors may already have them) but it must be a Race Technology DL1. An MR2 Super GT specific powerlogger is available from us to registered competitors at a discount of £200 from retail. (This offer is also available for competitors registered for the MR2 Championship).

Coilovers and tyres are controlled and must be sourced from Rogue Motorsport. Again, discounted rates apply to registered competitors.
Last edited by Rogue on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Thanks patrick, very helpfull.

Bri
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
hemingway

Post by hemingway »

Hi,

Interest topic. Can I ask you if you mybe know which tyre dimensions this car have?

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”