rev 3 turbo vrs M5 V10

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Antstarr

Re: rev 3 turbo vrs M5 V10

Post by Antstarr »

I want an Integra because I want some back seats and need to save some money on fuel. Wish I could have both :(

E46 M3's are actually very affordable now...you can get one for around 10-15k.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:
The problem is Lauren, you dont tend to be too open minded yourself. Everything seems to be integra or M3, and you even managed to squeeze them both in this post to prove the point.

I'm always open minded to brilliant cars. Both the integra and M3 are just simply great cars. I know about cars, i think obsessively about them, constantly. Very sad I know, but obviously i've got a feeling for what I like and what I think is important. Mind you I understand that different people have different requirements.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Haver you ever driven, or been in an M3?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:Haver you ever driven, or been in an M3?

Actually I don't think I have. But I really want to.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

You really need to Lauren, they're beautiful cars. I drove an E46 manual on a test drive a few years back, and were it not for the fact that the pedals are strongly set to the right (which made it uncomfortable for me personally and I kept clipping the bottom of the brake pedal when coming off the clutch) then I'd seriously consider owning one. I think it was the brakes that did it for me, as while I never got to test how fade resistant they were they certainly stopped me better than anything this side of a 996 GT3RS. They really did feel that good. Bit dull inside, but wonderfully balanced.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

ekona wrote:You really need to Lauren, they're beautiful cars. I drove an E46 manual on a test drive a few years back, and were it not for the fact that the pedals are strongly set to the right (which made it uncomfortable for me personally and I kept clipping the bottom of the brake pedal when coming off the clutch) then I'd seriously consider owning one. I think it was the brakes that did it for me, as while I never got to test how fade resistant they were they certainly stopped me better than anything this side of a 996 GT3RS. They really did feel that good. Bit dull inside, but wonderfully balanced.

Well I loved my old 325i (that was an E36)... if the E46 M3 is tons better which i'm absolutely convinced of it must be a stonking car. Agreed about the brakes on a GT3RS... thought my head was going to come off!
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

I think I`m gunna be sick :sick:
513BHP at the hubs
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

How about us `2` lovers out there getting up a petition to have these two dudes deported to the Rhineland :evil:
513BHP at the hubs
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I do think you should at least try one before making relentless comments about how good they are.

I've only been a passenger in an E36 M3 Evo, it felt quick and solid. Thats about all I could say tbh.
mr2lad

Post by mr2lad »

matt_mr2t wrote:I do think you should at least try one before making relentless comments about how good they are.

I've only been a passenger in an E36 M3 Evo, it felt quick and solid. Thats about all I could say tbh.

Definately. If you've never driven a car, how can you be ...er... 'informed' as to what its like? One should never judge without first hand experience, afterall.

But yes, the E46 M3 is all the car most car enthusiasts would ever need IMO. Personally i'd rather have the E46 with its straight six and better looks than its V8 replacement, which is slated for its brutal nature.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

mr2lad wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:I do think you should at least try one before making relentless comments about how good they are.

Definately. If you've never driven a car, how can you be ...er... 'informed' as to what its like? One should never judge without first hand experience, afterall.

But yes, the E46 M3 is all the car most car enthusiasts would ever need IMO. Personally i'd rather have the E46 with its straight six and better looks than its V8 replacement, which is slated for its brutal nature.

Ditto
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Hmm, but the V8 noise and low down torque =P~ =P~
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Thing is, most people never tend to get a chance to drive the majority of cars available so we tend to rely on the general opinions of others we trust who do get the opportunities. It's the same for movies, or games, or toasters, or just about anything else you'd care to mention.

I've never driven a Mk1, yet having been in a fairly sorted 1.5 I can tell from the passenger seat that it's a better handling car than the Mk2s I've been in. Neither felt as neutral as a 987 S I've driven, but they felt far better than my Mk3 when I had dodgy sized tyres on it. Tyres sorted and the Mk3 then became better than the older MR2s, and closer to the Boxster. Nothing has been a patch handling wise to my old VXR220, which was a huge gap away from the GT3RS I pax'd in. When choosing a new performance car you have a read of a few reviews, get a few opinions from friends you trust, and this all helps you narrow down your shortlist of what you want to test drive.

It's all about comparing what you do know to what you don't. It's pretty much how we get through life and how I know that I don't like any Coldplay albums as I don't like any of their singles. I don't want to drive a Clio197 as everyone has said it's an inferior car to the 182 which I've driven to death and adored. I'd love to drive a standard 996+ 911 to see how it feels in comparison to that GT3RS.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Did you take your VX to that RR day at Hoddeston a couple of years ago?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Blimey, that was a while ago! Yup, that was me who spent 20 mins underneath the car trying to get the undertray off so they could stick it on the dyno :oops: :lol:
steve b

Post by steve b »

ekona wrote:Blimey, that was a while ago! Yup, that was me who spent 20 mins underneath the car trying to get the undertray off so they could stick it on the dyno :oops: :lol:

Was the VX that good? The turbo has always appealled to me and I've spoken to many owners at trackdays, most have said they need different size wheels and a few other mods to sort them out.

I hate to say it but I do like sheer speed and power out of corners and so the regular engined Elise varients I think I'd find disappointing as I'm always powering past them,.... the VX turbo however fixes that.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

Aint Vauxhall German owned <`ere we go again> lol :evil:
513BHP at the hubs
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

steve b wrote:Was the VX that good? The turbo has always appealled to me and I've spoken to many owners at trackdays, most have said they need different size wheels and a few other mods to sort them out.

I hate to say it but I do like sheer speed and power out of corners and so the regular engined Elise varients I think I'd find disappointing as I'm always powering past them,.... the VX turbo however fixes that.

Mine was the VXR, so it already had Exige sized wheels (16in F, 17in R), uprated suspension, more power, and some bits painted black instead of red. The trouble with most S2 Elises is that they've got ridiculously under-sized front wheels which makes for a lot of understeer: Nice and safe, but not particularly fun. Change the wheels and you're sorted though, or get yourself an S1. The stock VXT suffers from the same issue to an extent, although Vauxhall went for 17" wheels all round for aesthetic purposes.

Tbh the whole (well, one of) reason I moved from the VXR to a 350Z is that I'd gotten bored of trying to balance the throttle of a turbo'd car round a corner and wanted something far more linear instead, and a nice torquey NA engine has given me exactly that. I've got grunt down low so I don't have to swap cogs unless I want to, but I'm also not exactly short of top end power either. What I'm trying to get at is that on track something like an Elise R or Honda conversion will be an absolute blast as you can simply live in the top quarter of the powerband and whilst you won't feel the shove exiting a corner that you do with a turbo car, because of the extra control you certainly will be cornering faster in the first place.

For point and squirt a turbo is king, for more control you'd need NA or SC. You can get SC kits for both the VX NA and Elise R now too, and prices for the actual cars are still dropping...
steve b

Post by steve b »

ekona wrote:
steve b wrote:Was the VX that good? The turbo has always appealled to me and I've spoken to many owners at trackdays, most have said they need different size wheels and a few other mods to sort them out.

Mine was the VXR, so it already had Exige sized wheels (16in F, 17in R), uprated suspension, more power, and some bits painted black instead of red. The trouble with most S2 Elises is that they've got ridiculously under-sized front wheels which makes for a lot of understeer: Nice and safe, but not particularly fun. Change the wheels and you're sorted though, or get yourself an S1. The stock VXT suffers from the same issue to an extent, although Vauxhall went for 17" wheels all round for aesthetic purposes.

Tbh the whole (well, one of) reason I moved from the VXR to a 350Z is that I'd gotten bored of trying to balance the throttle of a turbo'd car round a corner and wanted something far more linear instead, and a nice torquey NA engine has given me exactly that. I've got grunt down low so I don't have to swap cogs unless I want to, but I'm also not exactly short of top end power either. What I'm trying to get at is that on track something like an Elise R or Honda conversion will be an absolute blast as you can simply live in the top quarter of the powerband and whilst you won't feel the shove exiting a corner that you do with a turbo car, because of the extra control you certainly will be cornering faster in the first place.

For point and squirt a turbo is king, for more control you'd need NA or SC. You can get SC kits for both the VX NA and Elise R now too, and prices for the actual cars are still dropping...

:thumleft:

Thanks for the info :)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Tasty wrote:Aint Vauxhall German owned <`ere we go again> lol :evil:

Err, no.

Vauxhall is owned by General Motors - Americans.

Return to “Driving Experiences”