The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Power wise I was only ever on planning on 400-450 maximum, which is why I opted for the ARC. There's also an Aquamist WI kit fitted, which I'm not convinced is doing anything right now. However it should help with the temps and will be modified if required.

As you said, we'll see what happens during mapping. If it needs bigger we'll go bigger, but ideally I'd like to minimise the number of extra potential points of failure if possible. By no means am I planning on making this thing bleeding edge tuned. Instead I want something quick, solid and reliable, as that's what's best for the car :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

That sounds suprisingly sensible :shock:

:lol: :lol:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Nice choice. Can't wait to see the finished results :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashman wrote:That sounds suprisingly sensible :shock:

Haha, thanks (I think? :-k ) :lol:

Do it once do it right and all that ;)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Moo wrote:Nice choice. Can't wait to see the finished results :thumleft:

Not before we finally get to see yours. :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Magic Beans wrote:
ashman wrote:That sounds suprisingly sensible :shock:

Haha, thanks (I think? :-k ) :lol:

Do it once do it right and all that ;)

Yeah - was a compliment, it's always good to see someone mention the word reliable when it comes to tuning instead of trying to eeek every last horse out of a setup, then being suprised when it blows up a week later :eye:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

:lol: There's always an element of that.

My main concern would be the block, due to the stories you read about them cracking. Is it the power or the boost pressure which is generally to blame?
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Magic Beans wrote:Right then.
To cut a long story short, we all by now know that Rob's breaking his car. I feel I must say that if anyone is considering buying any kit from Rob, you'll be dealing with a true gent. It's been a pleasure to deal with him :thumleft: I had the pleasure, albeit an adrenaline filled pleasure, to go for a ride in Rob's fully weaponised road weapon. It's an absolute brute and feels like nothing I've ever been in before :shock:

:

Really appreciate the kind comments Phil and was great to meet you. This cars going to be awesome once done. The only negative of building one to this spec(excluding cost :D ) is that they make all these other supposably fast cars feel alittle boring. You'll find yourself falling asleep in cars that you thought of as rapid previously and asking yourslf "is this all its got" :lol: :lol: .

Im deffo getting another in a couple of years
Last edited by Rob B on Sun May 20, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Hard to say- having done a LOT of reading / research it seems to be luck of the draw tbh. I'd say it was generally heat related, so down to boost and tuning...but then some very sensibly built blocks have gone bang as well, so there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule 8-[

When we measured cylinder wall thickness it was suprising how much variation you get, both within the same block, but also between equivalent model blocks...cr@ppy casting processes? Who knows...

At the end of the day that's why I went 5S, I was fed up of being nervous of doing another block :eye:

Your block has held up with everything you've done so far hasn't it...so you're probably set, what size pistons have you got in there?
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Lady luck deffo has her part to play it would seem. Two words Can AND worms

Since its in the car and survived so far you might aswell leave it in. Maybe do some basic checks just to make sure it all good.

Cracked blocks? Type it in on the search and start reading, just dont expect to have any weekend left when you are done :eye:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashman wrote:Hard to say- having done a LOT of reading / research it seems to be luck of the draw tbh. I'd say it was generally heat related, so down to boost and tuning...but then some very sensibly built blocks have gone bang as well, so there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule 8-[

When we measured cylinder wall thickness it was suprising how much variation you get, both within the same block, but also between equivalent model blocks...cr@ppy casting processes? Who knows...

At the end of the day that's why I went 5S, I was fed up of being nervous of doing another block :eye:

Your block has held up with everything you've done so far hasn't it...so you're probably set, what size pistons have you got in there?

HKS 87mm forged pistons sat in there at the moment.

I guess time will tell with the block.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Rob B wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Right then.
To cut a long story short, we all by now know that Rob's breaking his car. I feel I must say that if anyone is considering buying any kit from Rob, you'll be dealing with a true gent. It's been a pleasure to deal with him :thumleft: I had the pleasure, albeit an adrenaline filled pleasure, to go for a ride in Rob's fully weaponised road weapon. It's an absolute brute and feels like nothing I've ever been in before :shock:

:

Im deffo getting another in a couple of years

Depends how immersed you get into the world of DIY. Trust me, I lost 3 years in this place. Worth it and definitely refined a few skills, making me one step closer to the self-build dream :D
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Magic Beans wrote:
riot68 wrote:WOW looking forward to thus, have to take me for a burn!...

Yes sir, we'll be doing that :thumleft:

Definate :thumleft:
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Counting down the days until I get the parts. The turbo can't come soon enough, as the 20B really isn't happy :?

After some discussion and reading I've opted to go the charge cooler route for the cooling, in the form of the Radtec from Rob B's mighty '2. Better safe than sorry and something like this is too good to pass up.

Sunday will be like Christmas :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

Magic Beans wrote:I've opted to go the charge cooler route for the cooling

Good decision...wasn't sure about a SMIC for the boost you're going to want to run on that turbo :thumleft: :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Theoretically it should have been ok, but as you said it's not worth chancing it.

It will be a long day when it all goes in. :shock:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

New braces came today :D

Seemed like a good idea to try and it at lunchtime, in a shirt and tie, in 26 degrees of direct sunlight :-k :lol:

Braces

Stock front brace out

Cusco in

Got most of the way through doing the back one but ran out of time #-o So I'll finish it tonight, after a spot of biking \:D/

I do wish this camera was more colour friendly. Maybe time to meddle with the settings :-k Cue something terrible happening :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Rear mounted

OTT? :lol: It's not staying, just interested to see what it looked like.

Return to “Member Profiles”