MR2 Turbo VS Honda Integra Type R???

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

EVilDAve³

Re: MR2 Turbo VS Honda Integra Type R???

Post by EVilDAve³ »

Splashnatz your razor sharp wit has me in awe.

Be quiet before you sprain something, like your sense of humour.

luthor1 wrote:my stock power mk1 was a little faster round anglesey than a well driven DC2, can't remember his name, but I only had 125bhp to his 189, so they don't handle THAT well mate.

One wonders therefore, what your definition of 'well driven' is.

I too overtook a 'well driven' DC2 at Anglesey...at the time I was passengering in an even more 'well driven' Golf 1.9TDi estate with a boot full of tools.

And the golf driver was rubbish. Make of that what you will :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Is this Aidy in disguise?!

Look, the Integra Type R is a phenomenal car in my opinion and is without doubt one of the best drivers cars of all time that is the general consensus within the motoring world.
If I was to go Honda its the one I'd go for (unless I was in the position to buy an NSX of course =P~ )

In terms of comparisons between the 2, the early DC2s are much newer than the original SW20 so you would expect there to be some notable improvements. (I disagree tho in terms of the interior. Maybe you should check out the interior in a GT Turbo.)

Out of the box the DC2 is without question a more capable track day car than an SW20 but to suggest that a DC2 would be anything other than mullered in a straight line by a Turbo 2 is frankly b0ll0cks!
Most encounters out on British roads come down to which car accelerates the fastest and against an Integra Type R the MR2 Turbo will win every time. The slowest version of the Jap market MR2 Turbo will hit 60 in 5.7 seconds and derestricted will top out around the 155-160mph mark in standard form, most arent standard though :wink: .
A Teg wont come close.

Nice car tho :thumleft:
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

having owned both a modified DC2 and a mk1 with a mk2 turbo engine the mk1 is definately a lot quicker than a DC2.

the mk1 with a standard mk2 tubby can live with a Carrera 4S up to 140 at least. a DC2 would probably be 10-15mph slower.

Cant comment about the handling as i am still learning the mk1 handling with the extra punch of the turbo. i would say a standard mk1 with the suspension mods would be on a par with a DC2, but being a totally different engine/drive configuration the experience and limits are different.

sorry to use big words EvilDave but the Integra is not a particularly quick car compared to a Modified MR2 turbo but it makes the best of what it has and what it was designed for. Something like Nebpor's Teg would give a tubby a good run but you look at the mods that have been done to that.
For a 1.8l NA car the DC2 is fantastic and the noise is amazing on a decat and cat back zorst.

All i was trying to point out in my earlier post is that an Integra whether modded or standard is quicker than an NA MR2 modded or not. You can only tune an NA engine so much on a reasonable budget.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

the DC2 we tuned would indicate 155mph on the speedo. Just took an age to get there compared with the MR2 we had which from 110-140 would quite significantly pull a gap.

I guess by well driven I mean 'someone clearly in my league of driving'. Meaning they are generally running the same risk/margin etc as me. I might have braked a little later than them and they might get on power a little earlier than me. I guess I mean comparable drivers.
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

very well put mike :mrgreen:
Anyway why does it matter whos is faster, it really doesnt matter, they are both fantastic cars in their own right, i just thought i would mention the fact that i underestimated their performance, now world war 3 has broken out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eye:
helencooke01

Post by helencooke01 »

eRATic wrote:Something like Nebpor's Teg would give a tubby a good run but you look at the mods that have been done to that.

How did he get over here? :lol: :lol:

Munnsy wrote:now world war 3 has broken out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eye:

:whistle:
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

MR2's vs the world!!

But as said this post was DC2 vs NA mr2. And as pointed by myself and others the DC2 is awesome but not as fast as people think. Yes its got amazing handling but thats for a fwd car. And if Patrick from Rogue can smash a few MK1s around silverstone in an NA mk2(which he has) shows how capaple the SW20 is around bends.
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

But as said this post was DC2 vs NA mr2

No the post was about my rev 2 turbo stock :-k lol
just thought i would point this out lol
but the mk2 tubby is in my opinion by far not as good round corners as the dc2, BUT ( before i get abuse) it makes up for its fantastic drive, funnability, performance and looks END OF!!!! [-(
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Lauren wrote:
EVilDAve³ wrote:A DC2 would absolutely annhilate an MR2, turbo or not, anywhere except a big straight road. And even then you'd be hard pressed to get far away.
When I had a DC2, MR2's were easy pickings on trackdays :thumleft:

Would agree. The DC2 really has a far classier chassis than the MR2. Its a better drivers car despite being FWD.

Oh yawn, Is this Aidy in disguise?! Are there any cars that are any worse than the MR2 then Lauren?
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Rev2_mike wrote:
Lauren wrote:
EVilDAve³ wrote:A DC2 would absolutely annhilate an MR2, turbo or not, anywhere except a big straight road. And even then you'd be hard pressed to get far away.
When I had a DC2, MR2's were easy pickings on trackdays :thumleft:

Would agree. The DC2 really has a far classier chassis than the MR2. Its a better drivers car despite being FWD.

Oh yawn, Is this Aidy in disguise?! Are there any cars that are any worse than the MR2 then Lauren?

She just loves the Mk1, so therefore hates the Mk2.

So anything against the Mk2 wins!

Not really honda fan at all, i dont like "the tek".

Honda's in general just remind me of 17 year old in the Civic battering hell out the car up and down the street hitting tek in the Jordans or whatever.

I like the look of the new Type R, but i would get it for the bird. its not for me! :)

Nick

p.s The tek sounds horrible! i hate the noise, its just a screaming bean can, raspy, high pitched noise.
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

shibby! wrote:
Rev2_mike wrote:
Lauren wrote:

She just loves the Mk1, so therefore hates the Mk2.

So anything against the Mk2 wins!

Not really honda fan at all, i dont like "the tek".

Honda's in general just remind me of 17 year old in the Civic battering hell out the car up and down the street hitting tek in the Jordans or whatever.

I like the look of the new Type R, but i would get it for the bird. its not for me! :)

Nick

p.s The tek sounds horrible! i hate the noise, its just a screaming bean can, raspy, high pitched noise.

Never been a great lover of the civic's or the integra's but i have always liked the accord. If i was to buy any type-r it would have to be the accord. Only thing is i don't like to drive a car screaming its nuts out constantly so i would probably look to stick in a hairdryer to give it a bit of oomph in the lower revs :p

Oooo, i LOVE the new civic type-R's interior. I would love to fit the lot into the 2 as i think it looks like a great place to be.

Scott =op
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Scott, you are sooooo 100% right about that interior... I love the blue and red neon effect and the whole digital feel. It's like The Enterprise in there!! LOL!
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

The old Preludes felt like that too, very funky for its time.
EarL

Post by EarL »

One of the finest FWD cars on the planet. Sublime chassis, and an engine that revs forever. I'm seriously considering selling my car at the end of this season and buying a DC2.

In my mind, they're the finest Jap metal on the planet. :thumleft:

EDITED BY ADMIN

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

EarL wrote:One of the finest FWD cars on the planet. Sublime chassis, and an engine that revs forever. I'm seriously considering selling my car at the end of this season and buying a DC2.

EDITED BY ADMIN :roll:

EarL.

JDM spec Earl, stunning. :thumleft:
Dont like the uk front at all.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

nakamura wrote:JDM spec Earl, stunning. :thumleft:
Dont like the uk front at all.

I'm the opposite...

=P~
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Just not keen on the lights and the bonnet looks a bit odd.
[SiG]

Post by [SiG] »

I could live with the UK front but only in black

Other than that it's JDM for me :D
EVilDAve³

Post by EVilDAve³ »

EarL wrote:One of the finest FWD cars on the planet. Sublime chassis, and an engine that revs forever. I'm seriously considering selling my car at the end of this season and buying a DC2.

EDITED BY ADMIN :roll:

EarL.

That is a JDM model, mine was the far more distinctive (albeit less pretty) UK model with larger brakes (among other improvements) over that '96 relic you posted.

Thanks for being so nice, btw. Don't think I've done anything to deserve a personal insult like that? Swear-filter bypassing and everything. And from a mod too. :roll:

So let me get this straight. I've got a different opinion to you...and I'M the narrow minded one? :lol: Ok then, Tulip.
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

I nearly got an integra instead of the 2 and I still really want one but love the 2 far too much to get rid, so as the Mrs is looking for a new car I've spent ages giving her all the plus point's, Reliability, MPG ect. I think ive almost got her convinced to get one, so hopfully I might be able to have a play in one when ever I want (If she lets me :pray: )

I also think the uk ones are :pukel:

Return to “Driving Experiences”