1.2 Clio puts MR2 ownership in perspective!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

SwissHeavy

Re: 1.2 Clio puts MR2 ownership in perspective!

Post by SwissHeavy »

Has anyone seen the new Impreza due to come out. It appears to be a hatchback...?
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

The thing that gets me about the MR2 is just the sharpness of the handling.

A lot of hot hatches and saloons can match the 2 for speed and grip (My diesel bimmer is more powerful than my n/a) but very few cars will turn in as well.

Dry country roads at slow to medium speeds are where the MR2 excels.
Steering one is almost like driving a single seater at times. :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Si_Crewe wrote:The thing that gets me about the MR2 is just the sharpness of the handling.

A lot of hot hatches and saloons can match the 2 for speed and grip (My diesel bimmer is more powerful than my n/a) but very few cars will turn in as well.

Dry country roads at slow to medium speeds are where the MR2 excels.
Steering one is almost like driving a single seater at times. :D

Honestly an MR2 does not have good turn-in. There are many cars that turn in far, far better. The MR2 tends to understeer something terrible on turn-in. Even my beemer for example has a much keener turn-in.

Also not wishing to get into an argument about it, but they are a million miles away from a single seater in my opinion. The electric steering on the mk2 is an abomination and certainly one of the worst aspects of the car.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

Yep turn in is poo in an mr2 the thing I really dont like is the lack of feedback through the wheel, must be down to the power steering system.

Since I got rid of mine last weekend i'm running around in my mum's clio 1.4 sport and I must say the feedback is a lot better in the clio 8-[
Last edited by SW20Paul on Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Not covering old ground here I hope, but having fought and fought with the front end of my car, there's a few things I've discovered... front strut brace is totally inadequate and an aftermarket tower-to-tower one aswell as stock is needed. In the steering column is a half inch rubber disc. 4 holes are drilled into it, 2 opposite holes bolt upwards towards the steering wheel, and the opposing 2 holes bolt downwards to the rack. When you apply lock, and attempt to increase in, this rubber disc flexes causing vagueness.

Top mounts *have* to be changed for solids, and bushes and swivels are usually worn.

Also, if you drive one with a speed de-limiter, this *WILL* prevent the electric steering from shutting down over 50mph meaning that at 70mph you still have 'parking' levels of over-assistance, unless you buy the clever gadget from twosrus.

If you have driven a Mk2 with these faults, then I can assure you the feel is crucially different to after they are resolved - as they are on mine :mrgreen:
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Lauren wrote:Honestly an MR2 does not have good turn-in. There are many cars that turn in far, far better. The MR2 tends to understeer something terrible on turn-in. Even my beemer for example has a much keener turn-in.

Also not wishing to get into an argument about it, but they are a million miles away from a single seater in my opinion. The electric steering on the mk2 is an abomination and certainly one of the worst aspects of the car.

I bought my diesel bimmer as an every-day car and I'll admit that the 3-series is good enough that if I'd decided to buy a 330 instead I probably wouldn't need the MR2.

The nose of the 2 is very light though and, as I said, at LOW and MEDIUM speeds, before mechanical grip is compromised, the turn in of the 2 is very sharp and light.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that a modern GTi hatch can bury an MR2 but I think the feel of the handling in general, and the steering in particular, are MUCH more direct that a hatchback.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Same here... my missus has a 1.4 Clio, and I hate driving it. It feels like a boat (an economical boat, but a boat none the less :lol: ).

My MR2 was sure footed, but for out and out razor like handling, and instant turn in, the Integra just can't be beaten. It corners like it's stuck to the road with super glue! :shock:

It might not have the same punch in the guts accelleration as my old tubby, but in every other aspect, it really is a better car.

EarL.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

EarL wrote:Same here... my missus has a 1.4 Clio, and I hate driving it. It feels like a boat (an economical boat, but a boat none the less :lol: ).

My MR2 was sure footed, but for out and out razor like handling, and instant turn in, the Integra just can't be beaten. It corners like it's stuck to the road with super glue! :shock:

It might not have the same punch in the guts accelleration as my old tubby, but in every other aspect, it really is a better car.

EarL.

DING! Its only when you try other cars that you realise how poor the turn-in is on an MR2. Turn-in on on the DC2 amazed me round the Ring tbh. We are going to look at a possible purchase in a couple of weeks. :+:
EarL

Post by EarL »

Lauren wrote:DING! Its only when you try other cars that you realise how poor the turn-in is on an MR2. Turn-in on on the DC2 amazed me round the Ring tbh. We are going to look at a possible purchase in a couple of weeks. :+:

LOL yeah, it's taken a while, but you were right all along Lauren. :lol: :oops:

It's like driving something thats riding in guides! It just doesn't understeer! I tried really pushing it the other day, down at Llandow, but no matter how hard I pushed into the bend, it just shot round! It's like a flaimin go kart! :lol:

There's lots out there for sale, but only a few that are really worth buying. You still onto the one you mentioned to me in that PM?

Best of luck finding one flower, you're going to love it! :thumleft:

EarL.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

EarL wrote:
There's lots out there for sale, but only a few that are really worth buying. You still onto the one you mentioned to me in that PM?

Best of luck finding one flower, you're going to love it! :thumleft:

EarL.

Yep, we are going to look at the one a good friend of ours has had for the last seven years... it seems to tick all the boxes... just need to find the money from somewhere!

I'll let you know when we get hold of it, it may be a couple of months yet though. :+:

Return to “Driving Experiences”