TIME ATTACK CLUB CHALLENGE 2007

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Re: TIME ATTACK CLUB CHALLENGE 2007

Post by jonb- »

Rumour is this is horribly oversubscribed already so they might ask clubs to cherry pick a few cars or something :(
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonb- wrote:Rumour is this is horribly oversubscribed already so they might ask clubs to cherry pick a few cars or something :(

Plus surely if you are accepted you need to think of it as a whole season?

My guess is that it will be full of tuners cars rather than individuals a bit lilke TOTB so it becomes more of a showcase of what a tuner can do which essentially pushes out the privateer.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I am doing it on behalf of mr2only magazine (with a sponsor), so I should be in with a shout of getting a place (plus Rob has confirmed this.... :wink:)

Also if anyone wants a pre-season shoot out then this could be interesting. I'd be interested to see how much quicker (if at all) a 500bhp MR2 would be..........

Lauren is right too, its 5 rounds and requires some commitment, and should be budgeted for such.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

skinthespin wrote:I am doing it on behalf of mr2only magazine (with a sponsor), so I should be in with a shout of getting a place (plus Rob has confirmed this.... :wink:)

Also if anyone wants a pre-season shoot out then this could be interesting. I'd be interested to see how much quicker (if at all) a 500bhp MR2 would be..........

Lauren is right too, its 5 rounds and requires some commitment, and should be budgeted for such.

I've been trying to get you on track for weeks! Count me in for that shootout. If it's only one lap you'll be in for a run... as long as i don't have to stay on the track after that.
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

you dont have to enter the whole series if you do not wish to, if you would perfer you can from what i re-call of last years event, enter individul events at any circuit.

cost was around £150 to enter a single round i beleive.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Thats right, you don't have to enter the whole series.

I have spoken to Rob the organiser and he says he is looking at enquiries and working out a way to pick entrants (as there are more enquiries than spaces). I suspect if you want to treat like a bit of a trackday and not take it seriously it will count against you. if this is the case also you'd be better off doing a trackday anyway as you would get more track time.
TimeAttackRob

Post by TimeAttackRob »

Ok campers, sorry to be away for so long, so much to do so little time :cry:

So to answer a few points and to keep you updated, here goes.

The 2007 series will be held over four rounds, this is certain.

To the chap who described it as an expensive track day with a stopwatch all I can say is that the guys last year were paying under £150.00 for their entry, I think once I got an evening track session for this price but usually more like 250/300 for a half decent one, I have done many track days, lost count to be honest but nothing has had the buzz of TA regardless of class.

Reason for checking back in on you guys was to see how interest was going and also to say that IF I havent had an email from you stating your interest in the series I dont know you exist, its hard for me to keep up with user names etc so please take a few seconds to drop me a mail headed up 'time attack 2007 interested' and ill log you on the list.

The events will be held (so far confirmed) Silverstone / Donington / knockhill with the last date being dealt with as we speak.

Time Attack Tuner class are for vehicles which meet the rules and regs on the website, the club challenge is less strict and comes under the same regs as you would expect for a track day, bash hat, arms/legs covered with the addition of the scrutineer wanting to see a minimum of a handheld extinguisher in the car (secured please no rolling timebombs!)

Over the vast internet websites that people are talking about the series there are many people who I have never heard of all stating they are competing this year, UNLESS I KNOW WHO YOU ARE I DONT KNOW YOU EXIST, so please drop me a mail.

Ideally we would like the grid to be fixed for the season so if you are on for a full season of fun then this is for you.

With regards to rules and regs, please first of all read them thoroughly on the website, if there is something you want to know then drop the scrutineer an email ' scrutineer @europeandriftchampionship.eu and make it clear to him what you would like to know and that you are talking time attack and not drift.

OK people, feel free to mail me, its a busy time of year so I may not be back to you straight away but all mails will be replied to.

Get typing, more info as and when I have it!

Rob
TimeAttackRob

Post by TimeAttackRob »

Lauren wrote:
jonb- wrote:Rumour is this is horribly oversubscribed already so they might ask clubs to cherry pick a few cars or something :(

Plus surely if you are accepted you need to think of it as a whole season?

My guess is that it will be full of tuners cars rather than individuals a bit lilke TOTB so it becomes more of a showcase of what a tuner can do which essentially pushes out the privateer.

Hi Lauren

There will be a seperate class for tuners.
If a tuner has a car that doesnt meet the regs I suggest they up their game for 2007.
The problem is everyone and their wife these days is a tuner, if you are a tuner, getting a car to meet the regs should not be a problem, I will be ruling with an iron fist :eye:

Damn im a hard task master

Rob
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

TimeAttackRob wrote:
To the chap who described it as an expensive track day with a stopwatch all I can say is that the guys last year were paying under £150.00 for their entry, I think once I got an evening track session for this price but usually more like 250/300 for a half decent one, I have done many track days, lost count to be honest but nothing has had the buzz of TA regardless of class.

It is though essentially sprinting isn't it? I agree competition is a lot more fun than just driving for fun as you would do on a trackday, though sprinting is traditionally not great value for money given that you pay what is essentially the same as you would pay for a trackday (there are a lot of trackdays available for £150 or less, very few cost over £200).

Obviously with a sprint there is practice and then there is X number of timed runs so actual track time is not that much.

I looked into sprinting, but ended up going racing instead as i preferred racing directly with other cars rather than just against a stopwatch. Obviously i understand that in a sprint you have more relaxed rules with regard to safety plus obviously those competing don't need to undergo an ARDS test added to this the likelyhood of car to car contact is obviously impossible as drivers of course run one at a time.

so it is probably the only valid arena where you can compete in your road car and see how fast you are etc. I guess what puzzles me slightly is why all those wishing to enter haven't been sprinting before given that there are loads of events around the country and sprinting has been going on for a very long time (80 years +).

I'm guesing that the allure is simply because time attack has been well publicised in the car club/forum arena.

I wish you luck with it of course and it sounds like its going to be a success.

I think its good that you have got a seperate class for tuners as this at least gives the club guys a chance of competing with each other.
TimeAttackRob

Post by TimeAttackRob »

Hi Lauren

Sprinting is an a-b from standing start I believe, the essence of Time Attack is totally different.

The exciting thing about Time Attack for me personally is the fact that although you get practise sessions & warm ups you only get one shot at putting down your fastest lap, this evens the field because anything can happen in that lap and the slightest mistake could result in driver 'A' with 900bhp having his backside handed to him by driver 'B' in a 400 bhp car.

From a driver point of view this is high pressure, high adrenalin stuff!

Rob
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

TimeAttackRob wrote:Hi Lauren

Sprinting is an a-b from standing start I believe, the essence of Time Attack is totally different.

The exciting thing about Time Attack for me personally is the fact that although you get practise sessions & warm ups you only get one shot at putting down your fastest lap, this evens the field because anything can happen in that lap and the slightest mistake could result in driver 'A' with 900bhp having his backside handed to him by driver 'B' in a 400 bhp car.

From a driver point of view this is high pressure, high adrenalin stuff!

Rob

Rob,

Sprinting is either from a given start to a finish point like at a hillclimb. Or its a timed lap of a circuit.

If time attack is timing over a lap then it is sprinting as far as i see it.
TimeAttackRob

Post by TimeAttackRob »

Ok, I stand corrected.

Sprinting is from a standing start tho right?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

TimeAttackRob wrote:Ok, I stand corrected.

Sprinting is from a standing start tho right?

Normally yes, though if you were doing a timed lap of a circuit you would generally do a warm up lap then the timing would start when you cross the beam and do your lap so effectively in the case of timing at a circuit its not a standing start as such.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

TimeAttackRob wrote:The problem is everyone and their wife these days is a tuner, if you are a tuner, getting a car to meet the regs should not be a problem, I will be ruling with an iron fist :eye:

Amen! :eye:

Patrick
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

TimeAttackRob wrote: UNLESS I KNOW WHO YOU ARE I DONT KNOW YOU EXIST, so please drop me a mail.

Email sent ! :D
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

email sent from me also
TimeAttackRob

Post by TimeAttackRob »

I have sent a link to everyone who has mailed me to our pre registration form, hopefully this will sort the serious people from the maybes and we can crack on with working out the field from there..!

have a great new year campers, catch up in 07!

Rob

P/S if you didnt get a mail visit the website and enter the news section for the link
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

dont know if its my brw or not but anytime i click the download link the browser crashes :?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Works fine for me Scott :?

Anyway, here's the text from the pre-registration form for you:

====================================

2007 Series – Pre Registration Form
Due to the popularity of the Time Attack Series in 2006 we are now opening
pre-registration for 2007. A limited amount of entries will be available for the
Series and Driver(s), Entrant(s) or Tuner(s) committing to enter all rounds will
receive priority entry(ies). Please complete this form to register for TA 2007:
1. Full name of driver: ………….…………………………………………………..……………….
2. Name of Entrant/Tuner: ………………………………………………………..……………….
(if applicable)
3. Contact details:
Email: ………………………………………………………………………
Tel: ………………………………………………………………………….
4. Vehicle Make/model: ………………….…………………………………………………………
5. Vehicle Drive Train: ………….........
(Rwd, 4WD, Fwd)
6. Time Attack Class: ………..…………………………………………………………….............
(Pro or Club Challenge)
7. The Series will be run over 4/5 rounds. We require to know in advance if you
will be entering all 4/5 Rounds*: YES / NO (please circle/delete)
*Note: Dates confirmed so far are:
Round 1 - April7/8th - Donington Park
Round 2 - June 3rd - Silverstone
8. If you answered NO to the above question then please circle the rounds you
wish to enter if we decide to run rounds within the months shown below:
April May June July Aug Sept
7/8th tbc 3rd tbc tbc tbc
9. When you completed the form please ensure you send it directly to either:
Fax: 01795 666611
Email: [email protected]

=================================
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

cheers Tom :thumleft:

i'll just copy and paste this into an email and fill in the blanks and send it to rob via email.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”