[All] [Generic] Which ECU would you choose from the list below and why?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steve b

Re: [All] [Generic] Which ECU would you choose from the list below and why?

Post by steve b »

no particular info just that AEM, GEMS & OMEX are all the same in a different box and to be avoided, no more than that no detail on why.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Another overlooked ECU that's meant to be very good is the HKS V Pro, though it's quite expensive and there's not that many mappers for it. Plug and play for the SW20 should help costs.

A sh*t hot mapper friend of mine said:

Your thinking of the Fcon-SZ i think, the V-pro is the top one and similar in operation to the Motec M800.. It's more than capable of running stand alone if it has to and has v/cool software, gives me compensations for absolutely everything and adjustments from Injector phasing all the way over to togglable map switching from a user operated button.... very powerful ecu, most of our customers use about 25% of it's functionality
steve b

Post by steve b »

Funnily enough the same person that told me to avoid the OMEX etc listed the HKS as a good unit, only let down by lack of mappers.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

steve b wrote:no particular info just that AEM, GEMS & OMEX are all the same in a different box and to be avoided, no more than that no detail on why.

steve you may be interested in this reply i got from AEM about my ECU. originally i thought i was having problems with it (turned out to be a dodgy coil) I was told that gems made the ecu so i asked if i could send it to them to get it checked, i was willing to pay for it as i wasnt sure if it was faulty

Do not contact GEMS. They do not produce our EMS and will not be able to help you. It is true that our EMS was developed with the help of GEMS but, that's where the relationship ends.

We produce and service our own products so if you have an issue with one of our electronics products please call our EMS Techline at: (310)-484-2322 ext. 303 for assistance.

jonb-

Post by jonb- »

That particular mapper was trying to convince me of the HKS over the Omex. At least we're in agreement :) So, if your near someone who can map the HKS and you trust them, add it to the list!
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I can map it....... :wink:

Ive always said the F-Con is a great ECU, like has been said though so hard to get mapped.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

skinthespin wrote:I can map it....... :wink:

:pale:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Michael,

I live in suffolk.

I'm not exactly sure at the moment. Know a guy locally at Ipswich who has a 1000hp 2Wheel RR. He's an advocate of the AEM and Omex Options. He runs Omex on his impreza rally car.

LPS is the company
http://www.lpsauto.com/

He recommends AEM for its numerous functions. However I belive it is particularly hard to get setup initially and get a good base map on. I have spoken to Peter at Thor as they used to be fairly into AEM and he said they can map it no probs. It's got a whole host of functions which may never even get used. TBH it seems quite comparable to the Link G1, although Peter suggests that the link has better timing control. No doubt the AEM has all the gizzmo's and I expect I'll convert to coil packs in the future too. I've bought all the gauges etc as well which can be programmed via its software like the 19channel datastream gauge.

I'll probably end up going to Thor TBH as they have a good rep and they have helped me in sorting out the ECU, and i'm a loyal fellow.

I wouldn't go with HKS, have you seen Abbeys prices! 8-[
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

I know of a well known london company who'll fit and map (well) a hks V pro for around about £2k drive in drive out.

If anyone wants details PM me.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Drive in Drive out does not equal
who'll fit and map (well)

They at least need it 24 hours to perform cold mapping

Not a bad price though
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Sorry, my definition of drive in drive out is you give them the car and don't supply any parts.

The rough times were 2 hours to loom in the HKS and 5-7 hours to map it properly.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

TDI.

They should have a base map for most engines that they will just tweek, all the cold start functionality would be in the base map I'd have thought?
steve b

Post by steve b »

I've decided to give the Emerald3d a go, I'd narrowed it down to either MoTeC M4, XLEMG2 or the emerald3d. The MoTeC just adds up to too much having to enable options etc, as the clubman spec its got little more than a G1 link :( i'd been offered a PRO with wideband & 3bar map for £1400 thats a good deal if anyone's after a 2nd hand one but then I'd still be looking at £2K to get it all installed & mapped in total.

The XLEMG" sounds the best ECU feature wise it really is impressive it would have totalled £1760 from Thor fitted & mapped, the emerald3d on the other hand is £976 including fitting and mapping, for vaule against functions its the best budget choice. If i don't get on with it i'll save up for a XLEMG2 I think. My only negative with the emerald is the trigger wheel, but basically its trigger wheel or £800 bigger bill. :(

The Emerald3d has 6 injector drivers so can do full sequential on the 4 pot

32 bit motorola main chip the same as the M4 Motec

32x16 tables so good resolution

so I'm sure it'll be ok, just don't like the need of the trigger wheel, I guess I can take it to a machine shop and get it as light as possible.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Jimbob wrote:They at least need it 24 hours to perform cold mapping

Blimey, that's a long time to map a motor! :shock:

Dave Rowe can do a map from nothing to done in around an hour. :thumleft:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
steve b

Post by steve b »

EarL wrote:
Jimbob wrote:They at least need it 24 hours to perform cold mapping

Blimey, that's a long time to map a motor! :shock:

Dave Rowe can do a map from nothing to done in around an hour. :thumleft:

EarL.

not entirely true, he said the Evo FQ400 was 3 hours work then he had to come back to it the following morning to do the cold start. So to do the car fully he'd need the car overnight so 24 hours.
EarL

Post by EarL »

I thought he meant a solid 24 hours mapping. My bad. :oops:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

i agree with nate, its shocking how people try to force setups on others.

i read this thread and have seen a number of posts undermiming the PFC, i think thats just shocking.

i run a FC and i'm happy with it, cars not jerky at all, perhaps its in the map or the setup, maybe your running a big set of injectors and turbo the FC can't deal with due to its "defunct" inferiority i don't know.

What i have seen though off the top of my head:

Rev3 stock + exhaust, DP, PFC just 2 weeks ago ran 320hp on the rollers (fly) thats pretty decent for a cheap defunct ECU IMO.

Mates skyline runs a PFC with a big feck off HKS turbo setup running 800hp, drives great, little laggy but we suspect the boost controller isn't setup right.

i don't mean to offend anyone with the MOTEC setup, they are great ECU's and as i've always said: if you can afford one and justfy it then definatly go for it, but don't go day dreaming that the PFC can't make good power and do it reliably, they wouldn't have sold so many and be on so many tuner cars if that was the case!
steve b

Post by steve b »

Kenny-Boost wrote:
Rev3 stock + exhaust, DP, PFC just 2 weeks ago ran 320hp on the rollers (fly) thats pretty decent for a cheap defunct ECU IMO.

google said wrote:
Definitions of defunct on the Web:

* dead: no longer in force or use; inactive; "a defunct (or dead) law"; "a defunct organization"
* having ceased to exist or live; "the will of a defunct aunt"; "a defunct Indian tribe"

It is good, doesn't stop it being defunct though. Give a few retailers a call about buying a Power FC see what they say :wink:

I very much hope I've done the right thing deciding to go with the emerald3d, its just so good value for its apparent high spec. I'm going to give a go to making a full loom for a motec incase I decided to upgrade, also be good learning.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Im positive you will be happy with emerald. They are a UK company on the up and they are going to be over eager to ensure customer satifaction as they need satisfied customers to go shout about their product in order to keep expanding.

Keep us all informed on how you get on.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com

Return to “Modifications”