TOTB 1/4 mile times?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevecordiner

Re: TOTB 1/4 mile times?

Post by stevecordiner »

Graeme Shaw wrote:

Steve,
What you doing back on here, `Proton boy`!!?

Came on to see the results!

Not as good as I'd of hoped tho.

Surprised you're so shocked at the result against the lambo! Two years ago I over took a 911 GT2 going down the 1/4 mile at TOTB
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

B26-----Andrew Standring----12.09-----117

What was the 60ft time of this car? This is the GT35R turbod 2litrr by rogue?

I did a 12.44 with a speed of 116mph. But I had a 2.1 60ft time, probably due to inexperienced launching and lassa (bridgestone cheap) street tyres.

Im interested to what power this car is putting out, a dyno graph would be nice.

I find it strange how a few people have GT35R turbos, but not really putting out GT35R power, or are these projects unfinished? Id use that turbo for 500rwhp+ and its the turbo I am thinking about going to. I am currently still using the TD06 as I dont like to put oversized turbos on.

Graeme
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

^Trickster^ wrote:B26-----Andrew Standring----12.09-----117

What was the 60ft time of this car? This is the GT35R turbod 2litrr by rogue?

I did a 12.44 with a speed of 116mph. But I had a 2.1 60ft time, probably due to inexperienced launching and lassa (bridgestone cheap) street tyres.

Im interested to what power this car is putting out, a dyno graph would be nice.

I find it strange how a few people have GT35R turbos, but not really putting out GT35R power, or are these projects unfinished? Id use that turbo for 500rwhp+ and its the turbo I am thinking about going to. I am currently still using the TD06 as I dont like to put oversized turbos on.

Graeme

I'm sure Andrews was 420 at the hubs on optimax and 516 on race gas...... I'm running 350 at the hubs on a larger t4 gt35r billet turbo equvalent and thats only at 20psi on a completely stock engine so I think thats making plenty of power....I did a 12.6 with a 2.09 60ft and a terminal of 112....so my cars got the potential just need a built engine at 30-32psi.... ](*,) 8-[ [-o< :twisted:
michael

Post by michael »

The Rogue cars were finished last minute, consider these times the start of things to come and don't be too rough on the owners, give them chance to show you the full potential of the cars and drivers.

The others had their issues and conditions were less than ideal, you only have to compare our times with some of the others to appreciate this. We beat things like the Westfield Megabusas, 911s, powerful Cossies, RX7s, GTiRs, GT4s, Skylines, Supras..... we should be giving the team a pat on the back, not pulling them apart [-X

The event was packed with expensive project cars, rich people toys and cars that haven't ever been to Tesco for a pint of milk, the IMOC team took part in the true spirit of the event and while times were lower than expected they put on a great show.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Agreed.. the likes of MikeJC and Toni had only sat in the car since all teh work had been completed that same week.

would just like to also express thanks and a big pat on the back for Mr Canny's organisational skills and general putting himself out for the club =D>

Was nice to meet you sir :salut: - friggin gorgeous car too =P~
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
michael

Post by michael »

It was a shock and a delight to see you stood there at Andy's place squire, very nice to meet you.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I was not pulling anyone apart, why are you guys always on the defensive? Theres like no information on these cars that is easily findable, im only asking for information.

My car came second in the class the time I took it to york and I beat most other things and probably had one of the quickest cars of the day, however the engine did fail on the 9th run and when people asked i was happy to answer questions as to why to prevent other people making the same mistake. Which was using stock rod bolts when I should of went ARP. I pulled my engine out and apart the very next day to find out the cause.

If we all want to progress then this is how you do it. If a car is not making power with certain mods, Im interested in what the reasons are behind it as im sure alot of other people are, the same in other instances where people seem to have less mods then others and make massive power for what they have.

Damgerous, do you have a dyno plot of that? Im interested in seeing the torque curve from that turbo. I made 308ft/lb which held from 4800 to 600rpm then dropped to 260ft/lb by 7000, I had no time to adjust my cams at the dyno.

Im really interested in GT35R plots if anyone has any available to send me could you contact me in PM.

Regards

Graeme
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Trickster :)

My car was mapped on the road very last minute, so as yet I don't have a dyno plot. Unfortunately at that point we discovered the map sensor as a restriction so my power was down on what was expected on the day.

Anyway...it is getting that replaced for a 3 bar, or possibly more. When that happens it'll get dynoed and remapped - my own feeling is there is a hell of a lot more to come from this car. It was also less than ideal that the first time I drove it since upgrade was from the starting line of my first quarter mile try :clown: That and the fact I've done a 13.9 in my standard rev3 tubby I am confident it'll do a lot better when I get used to the power delivery (and change the tyres from crap Toyos, and get the launch control working!).

When it's all done, mapped, dynoed the lot I will put it up don't worry!
T
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Here's a dyno plot from Andrew's car (figures at the hubs):

Andrew's engine has evolved organically - the original brief was for just 400bhp at the flywheel. As Andrew has got used to each successive upgrade he's bought it back for more power. We're now at the point where we need to revisit things like the mild headwork and cams to see the true potential of the engine. Likewise, the clutch is below par and slipping at full chat.

Rogue
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Hello peeps :)

It always makes me laugh when people think that it's only horse power and driver that makes any given car cover the 1/4 in X amount of time lol #-o Seldom do you hear talk of tyres and or pressures, and possibly even more importantly suspension set ups :(

I can only give you my own personal account of the day at this years TOTB...

Like mentioned my car was only finished and mapped a couple of days before TOTB. Obviously this gave very little time for driver/car to get to know one and other. The car was designed with a focus on track driving in terms of the engines power delivery and suspension set up. This is where we felt as a team that we would do the most damage at this years TOTB.

After my 3rd run up the 1/4 mile it was perfectly apparent that the car was never going to do much better than the times we were making on the day. Not for lack of power, (and dare I say driver ability lol :whistle:) but because of the real fact that we were running a suspension set up that simply did not lend itself to the characteristics needed of a drag car. Regardless of how I launched the car it would spin 1st and 2nd ! That being said a terminal of 123mph across the line is not to be sniffed at and shows the potential of the car javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

From here we turned our attention to the handling circuit as we knew this would be where the car would excel, but due to the excessive queues on the day, (4 hours worth of queuing!) we were only able to make 2 of our five runs on the handling circuit. So in short I didn't even get the chance to do a hot lap :( #-o

Problems aside I feel that the we managed to do really well given the time we had. The car run without so much as a complaint and we put in some pretty good times given the circumstances.

Hats off to all those involved in making this day happen. Without the chaps and lady of Roque Motorsport, Patrick, Matt, Toni and Carolyn backing me I wouldn't have even been there =D> :wink:

Mikejc
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Tonigmr2: Thanks for the info :D what map sensor are you running at the moment and at what level did it become a problem?

I will be going over to a GM 3 bar map sensor, but am currently using a stock rev 3 one, I ran up to 23psi without any problems but I will be going up to 28psi so this will need changing out.

Looks like that motor is going to make some good power :D

Rogue: I bet that is fun to drive! Has a step torque drop off, are you revving that to 8k all the time or just for that tune? What cams are in there and is there any headwork?

I have just dropped all the valves out of my head to clean up and replace the stem oil seals, now im pondering headwork, but for my power goals I might not bother.

Thanks in advance.

Graeme
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

As far as I know it is the stock map sensor. 1.6 bar being the limit...

Need practice too, so will be going to some RWYBs at Santa Pod in the near future if anyone is interested. I suspect the surface might be more friendly. :)
T
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Well done to all the boys (and girl) who represented IMOC at TOTB.

Its nice to see that the MR2 is being represented everywhere more and more, wether it be in the mags or at shows. Who will be the first to take on the GT Battle and give that new Fensport celica (650hp)a good spanking.

Wish i could have been there to support you all a dn provide the dry wit to rival Mikes as I was supposed to travel up with him but work commitments stuffed that one.

I look forward to seing the vid and seeing if Mike gets caught yet again texting on the drag start line on camera.

Given that so many were strangers to their cars latest incarnations its good to se that all performed and even better , all held together. personally I'd have been brickin the idea of pushing my motor so soon after a new build, run=in or no run-in.

However , just a thought, it does puzzle me how many clubs all say the same thing concerning not being ready with their cars or finishing them at the last minute. Ive heard the same in RX7 and Cossie circles and it makes you wonder why this is the case when everyone knows a year ahaead when the event is. Like I said, just a thought.

Anyways, all you guys enjoys your new specs, learn to tame them well so that you can really show us what they can do.

laters

Bobby
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Bobby (aka Shaggar) wrote:However , just a thought, it does puzzle me how many clubs all say the same thing concerning not being ready with their cars or finishing them at the last minute. Ive heard the same in RX7 and Cossie circles and it makes you wonder why this is the case when everyone knows a year ahaead when the event is. Like I said, just a thought.

bet you dont hear the mlr guys saying that 8-[
greeny

Post by greeny »

tonigmr2 wrote:As far as I know it is the stock map sensor. 1.6 bar being the limit...

Need practice too, so will be going to some RWYBs at Santa Pod in the near future if anyone is interested. I suspect the surface might be more friendly. :)
T

I'l be there for my first go at the strip 13th of this month! :wink:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I might try and go to that on the 13th. :D

Bobby, in my case it was always my intention my twincharger would be ready. But yet again I failed at the last hurdle, hence the TRD car. I only bought it say six weeks ago so it was always going to be tight. :D

T
greeny

Post by greeny »

tonigmr2 wrote:I might try and go to that on the 13th. :D

T

Well im definately going to be down there, I'l come and say hi toni if I see you, was going to introduce myself at TOTB but everyone was looking a bit busy/stressed! :)

Cheers Michael.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”