XS-Power Group Buys

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

Re: XS-Power Group Buys

Post by michael »

I'd rather go beyond the "that's pretty" stage and see information and photographs that show the thickness and specifications of materials used, efficiency tests on the intercoolers, the types of cores used and so on.

It's not just about the cosmetics, lets see some close up photos of the more interesting parts.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Firstly, this thread wasn't started as a 'where do XS-Power products come from' thread it was a group buy forum.

Last thing I want to see is a member parting their hard earned for junk parts that are well known for being rubbish. Thing is whilst people may only spend £150 on a manifold they will spend the same again having it fitted. When it goes wrong it can cause further damage and as a result cost even more to put right.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

rather than put you 2 pence worth in, before getting the truth..
ask the right person first,

What by listening to the guy trying to sell them - yup your going to be really impartial.
Laney

Post by Laney »

If ya spending £150 gettin it fitted then ya need to shop around. A manifold is an easy thing to fit ya self. I'll try and get pictures of a my mates manifold which failed on his Skyline. It was 'a named' product and it didn't do to well. Shall we just blame the manufacturer???
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Laney wrote:I'll try and get pictures of a my mates manifold which failed on his Skyline. It was 'a named' product and it didn't do to well. Shall we just blame the manufacturer???

Agreed! Big names mean nothing in this game, IMHO. I've seen both HKS and Greddy exhaust manifolds crack. And what do you think the guarantee gives you? I've heard of HKS just giving you a "discount" on a new one!! :shock:

So much for buying a well known brand!! And since so many aftermarket tubular manifolds fail eventually, that's why I've always recommended against them.
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

Rogue wrote:
MR2Mania wrote:Patrick, aren't your own exhausts made in China? ;)

The point I'm trying to make here is that, so what if they're made in China? Labour rates are considerably cheaper in China, and industry is big there, so there's no reason why you can't get good quality from China. That comes down to Quality Assurance, and nothing to do with the location...

Our exhaust systems are currently made in the UK, but our downpipes and revision3+ tubular manifolds are manufactured in China - I've made no secret of it! I don't know why people think that Chinese stuff is likely to be worse, because it all comes down to the QC specified by the customer.

The Chinese even have a more advanced Space program than ours!

Rogue

We get our products from china and i was amazed at their quality control when i went to visit. I cant imagine any country beating it. The companies we deal with are run by the Tawainese and only employ the chinese for the crap jobs.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Did you know that a lot of the Jap stuff (eg HKS, Greddy, etc) is made in China? Sometimes, you see cheap "copies" being sold on the internet, and more often than not, it's the manufacturer selling some of the "wasteage" items. ;)
Dino
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Laney wrote:If ya spending £150 gettin it fitted then ya need to shop around. A manifold is an easy thing to fit ya self. I'll try and get pictures of a my mates manifold which failed on his Skyline. It was 'a named' product and it didn't do to well. Shall we just blame the manufacturer???

Since when it changing a manifold on an MR2 an easy job? From what I've heard its a pig b1tch to do, you snap studs, end up having to yank the whole thing out with the turbo still attached and all sorts of bother.

R.
vipernet55

Post by vipernet55 »

your right m8, its not an easy job by far. I was luck that only 1 stud snapped when I took my old one off but the studs came out with the rest instead of just the nuts. I spent an afternoon cleaning the studs removing nuts and inserting them back into the head. It then took me another 2 hours to get the new manifold on, it was very difficult to get some of the nuts on underneath some of the pipes and only a 1/10 of a turn at a time with the spanner! :cry:
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

Muffleman had a few specific questions:

1. What, if any, is the relationship between XS-Power and SS Autochrome.

Xs power, ssautochrome, and stone mountain racing are all ONE company.

2. What sort of warranty comes with the goods.

All exhaust systems come with a lifetime guarantee.....manifolds/downpipes will be looked at in individual cases, most turbo's come with 12 months.

3. What tests have been run to prove that the products are as good as their branded counterparts.

In the states many products have been proven especially on the drag scene, and I don't mean night clubs?

In addition here is a bit more info on the company:

The products are made in America!!! NOT imported from China and re-sold. The stone mountain manufacturing company side of things do all the fabrication,!! we don't just build systems, we start from scratch, developing systems, Jason (XS-Power UK) personally developed a system for the ST185 and 205 gt4 celica, which we are waiting for production to finish,
we have test fitted it with good results.

Fast and Modified mag, want to do a product review, with the manifold and down pipes, along with a dyno run with the full system in place,
this will prove either way if its any good...............?
Laney

Post by Laney »

If you do the prep work and have patience then its not hard. It may be time consuming but thats something you have to live with.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Personally I would love to speak to Jason, as this is the feedback I got left on ebay when buying the photo'd item! I to was intrigued by cost so did some digging of my own, If they had of been good quality flanges we would have used them as they are a damn site cheaper than our ones laser cut in the UK.

If I were a Gimp - I would be a Prima Donna also - and would act like a PRISS 2

Seller www.ssautochrome.com ( 29865) 24-Aug-05 20:34

Reply by jim99cook: Reported to Ebay,faulty goods, I left -ve so he left -ve for no reason. Beware!!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... autochrome

If Jason wants to discuss this privately then please contact me as I had no joy appealing through Ebay!
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

We're still waiting for the test sample to arrive at F&M for our review too.

R.
the-dog

Post by the-dog »

received my manifold and downpipe on monday and i'm very impressed with the quality and the welds, they are a pig to fit but they look very nice!

:mrgreen: \:D/

adam...
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

the-dog wrote:received my manifold and downpipe on monday and i'm very impressed with the quality and the welds, they are a pig to fit but they look very nice!
:mrgreen: \:D/
adam...

Glad you're happy with them so far...can you let everyone know what they fit like and give us all a durability update once you have given them a good thrashing!
steve---o

so called "quality" manifold!!!!!

Post by steve---o »

bought the stainless tubular in question.looked pretty to start with for about 10 seconds when i found there to be a weld missing!!!!!!! small hole on 3rd tube!! got my mate whois a welder to drop a spoton it.

had the car rollered after fitting it only to find that the pants design lost me nearly 30bhp!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

cheap manifolds get a big thumbs down from me. [-(

the next one i buy will be a better made more expensive hks one i think. when i take off the cheap internet bought one i will be taking a big hammer to it straight away!!!
MR2Mania

Re: so called "quality" manifold!!!!!

Post by MR2Mania »

Very good post, mate, and demonstrates the concerns on this thread. =D>

It takes more than being a good welder/fabricator to make a decent manifold, and you can be sure that Toyota put a lot of time in the R&D of theirs. That's not to say that improvements can't be made, but it'll take a fair bit of thought and engineering knowledge.

steve---o wrote:
the next one i buy will be a better made more expensive hks one i think. when i take off the cheap internet bought one i will be taking a big hammer to it straight away!!!

To be honest, mate, buying such an item from a "big name" might be better for the performance aspect, but it won't guarantee quality issues. HKS manifolds, for example, have been known to crack. If you then tried to get it replaced, changes are you'd be told that "it's not our issue, but what we can do is supply you a new one at a healthy discount". Yeah, OK, that's REALLY a good solution! :? And all this has come from a certain HKS dealer that I know! :shock:

I had a few dealings with HKS Europe when I worked at Owens, and quite frankly, their Customer Support was poor at best! Mind you, over the last few weeks, I'm seeing more and more of this from Japanese parts sold through European and British agents. And I'm not totally convinced that it's the Japanese firm's fault, because the Japanese are 2nd to none for customer support, generally.
Dino
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

The intercoolers are now in stock, what a lovely bit of kit!!!

Have a look here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-TURBO-UPRATED ... dZViewItem

Negotiated the following group buy for IMOC members:

1-5.......£335
5-10.....£329
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Interestingly enough I have still had no reply from Jason even after complaining about the negative feedback I got left. And this is for someone who paid immediately for a buy it now item, so what can I expect in terms of feedback if I pay after 24 hours?
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

Jimbob

If you check Jasons ebay feedback you can see he's only ever left -ve feedback for one person, 'briangb' who bought three things and didnt pay for any of them?

Are you sure Jason is the ebay seller you bought from?

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”