Big brake kits - which one for a track car?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

Re: Big brake kits - which one for a track car?

Post by raptor95GTS »

Ashley, direct is fine with me. I'd be happy if Bob posted why in his opinion a big brake kit couldn't be done, I get why he thinks it shouldn't be. Try here for a vendor approved BBK though similar brackets are available here in the UK http://twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_124 and for more options do a search on this topic, it's been posted many times before (as has Keri's kits :thumleft: )
ashley

Post by ashley »

I know- I've read them, but I specifically want a kit that replaces the rear calipers...this is something new that Keri is working on....
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

how about crowd funding? < think that's the word, would that work? Get a group together of like minded folks, agree on sizes / caliper type then front up some money for Keri to do the research (time + materials) on a complete road legal rear replacement knowing he's got x number of sales set to return his investment? Maybe that would help Keri get a kit sorted quicker as he knows he's got a return. I'm stuffed if you go 16's as my fronts are 325mm and the calipers won't go below a 315mm diameter.
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Anything on this, Keri?
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

the willwoods rear big brake i might get for my set up tempted
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
cendler

Post by cendler »

I have brake calipers Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTD, brake discs Nissan 350Z 326mm and Adapters and super
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Topic bump - How are you getting on with this Keri? Any closer to a handbrake rear solution? I've got 16" wheels up front and 17" rear. I think I'm in the same boat as the others here, although I've been eyeing up your brakes for years :lol: Just waiting for the complete package!
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I think there might not be a big enough market for him tbh, I know there are a few MKI's using the kit but the takeup for the MKII front kit is probably pretty low.

Hell, I'd love a full front and rear kit with alloy bells but I doubt there's much market for it.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Just as a heads up to you all, I've dropped a line to twosrus.com who sell the Wolfkatz kits, asking them if they'd sell just the Wolfkatz bracketry required, and also possibly the alloy bells, not sure if thats a Wilwood item or a Wolfkatz item.

It's a full two-part system, Wilwood front and back, alloy bells and rotors, with handbrake.

Could be a group-buy / cost saving in it for us.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

monkeyra wrote:
It's a full two-part system, Wilwood front and back, alloy bells and rotors, with handbrake.

How is the hand brake done ? (and does it retain f/r balance ?)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Eh, i've already got the wms front kit anyway. It seems like any rear kit would stop me from using 16's on the rear :neutral:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

And to add to the Wolfkatz, there is also this available, again with alloy hats / rotors and seperate parking brake:

http://wilhelmraceworks.com/lightweight-big-brakes

Gonna drop him a message as well.

Have a read of this for further details:

http://www.mr2oc.com/64-mk2-suspension- ... dable.html
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

The plan still is to develop a rear MR2 handbrake setup, once done we should be able to port it to the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3.

I've still got my AW11 and SW20 stashed away for this exact reason (rear brake testbeds) - even though I've now got kids! :mrgreen:

There's not been much progress recently as I'm still dealing with the fallout from swapping one of our biggest suppliers, once all the normal kits are updated with the new T20-S version of the caliper I'll be freed up for R&D again.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”