BMIC (Boot Mount Intercooler)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

J-1

Re: BMIC (Boot Mount Intercooler)

Post by J-1 »

RyanRs wrote:
Chris wrote:The only way to do this right imo is the way me and Nathan did it.

Rear facing inlet manifold so no more pipework than any front mount, large scoop under the car to push air into the ic, twin 12" fans on the top to pull more air through the ic. And outlets in the rear to allow the air out of the boot.

Tried and tested :thumleft:

However, if you are planning no more than 500bhp I wouldn't bother. Sidemount IC or CC with WI is plenty good enough.

Sorry , dont agree! the airflow under the car is not as great as whats around the sides of the car due to the under trays. Also any heat being scooped up from under will be warm and likely full of c*ap.

I thought a lot about the physics of my BMIC and i honestly think i have the best design. Simple as it may seem, Seal off the boot as well as possible, remove the side intake rubber ducting, plate off the engine bay openings for the side vents, Cut boot floor under BMIC and fit two shrouded puller fans.

With this method , at standstill if i put my hand over the side intakes i could feel the fans sucking the air in! which means that at speed, the boot will be pressurizing with Cold air taken from the sides of the car and pushing it out through the IC.

Could you attach a close up of the side intake ducting area (i.e. how yours looks just now) ?

Think I am going to remove mines now

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”