turbo or supercharger

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Re: turbo or supercharger

Post by Tsia »

I feel it'd be much like someone saying "I want to turbo my 3SGE" - people would instantly say "No, put in a 3S-GTE" because it's the logical option if that person is just after more power. I can't say I've ever understood the thing behind saying "I've got a slightly more powerful than standard, but still pretty weak engine that I've spent £x000 on!"

Equally, instead of posting that you shouldn't do an engine swap, you could post the information you say he 'can't get here' - i.e the information on tuning the 4A-GE. That way, he'd have Paul's viewpoint and explanation of the more powerful engines, and the information about tuning his 4A-GE. By posting saying "WHY DOES EVERYONE INSIST ON ENGINE SWAP?" you've actually provided less information than Paul on tuning the 4A-GE. In short, stop trying to be so god damn argumentative. I don't see any of this xxxx on other forums I use!

Rant over :)
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

My experience:
Modded 4-age easier to insure
2zz more efficient. and cheaper to replace should I ever suffer any kind of engine failure.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I think either approach is valid, just depends what You want really. :)

I've had a:
unichipped 4age(145bhp) cost around 300 squid
Carbs and cams (165bhp) cost around 1500 quid
Supercharged with larger pulley (180bhp) 200 quid but on an SC
Now twin charged (350bhp!) you don't want to know how much!

I've seen a turned turbod 4agze make 220bhp. I knew a guy who spent thousands tuning his 4age and it made 200bhp as an NA. lovely project, but not cheap. There is basically a huge range to choose for your money.

I have to say though, if I wanted POWER with a capital P I'd be doing an engine swap. I think the 4age is a great engine to make gains of 20-30bhp and responsiveness, but it is not a power monster. If you want to retain those characteristics and have power I say 4 agze SC should be your starting point. But it wouldn't be if power was your headline. Just my opinion over many years of tuning MK1s!

Oh and I would do a gze engine swap over supercharging an NA!
Last edited by tonigmr2 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Tsia wrote:I feel it'd be much like someone saying "I want to turbo my 3SGE" - people would instantly say "No, put in a 3S-GTE" because it's the logical option if that person is just after more power. I can't say I've ever understood the thing behind saying "I've got a slightly more powerful than standard, but still pretty weak engine that I've spent £x000 on!"

Equally, instead of posting that you shouldn't do an engine swap, you could post the information you say he 'can't get here' - i.e the information on tuning the 4A-GE. That way, he'd have Paul's viewpoint and explanation of the more powerful engines, and the information about tuning his 4A-GE. By posting saying "WHY DOES EVERYONE INSIST ON ENGINE SWAP?" you've actually provided less information than Paul on tuning the 4A-GE. In short, stop trying to be so god damn argumentative. I don't see any of this xxxx on other forums I use!

If you read through this thread from beginning to end you'll see that we have discussed possible methods of supercharging the 4A

Which is exactly the question Sherwin asked in the first place

And before you accuse me of arguing against you, can I just say that I am simply trying to add some balance to what you say above
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

elbon50 wrote:
And before you accuse me of arguing against you, can I just say that I am simply trying to add some balance to what you say above

Jumping the gun a bit, aren't we? I wouldn't post on a public forum if I really couldn't stand people disagreeing with me, so feel free. I was actually referring to specific posts, rather than the few regarding tuning the 4AGE, which I thought was obvious. Noted for future reference and I'll clarify exactly which posts my future rants are targeting ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:You know, i am actually pretty offended that some people have gone out of their way to say that my opinion and the fact i am expressing it on a thread that is topical is a shame, what the hell?

It's actually pretty angering when you think about it, i'm offering the best advice (in my opinion) to the OP, and wether that advice is taken or not i am entitled to air my view the same as anyone else, in fact considering i've made this topic my lifes work to then be told it's shameful that i'm allowed to post makes me angry just thinking about it.

I'll say what i like whenever i like, if you don't agree then counter my opinion with a valid reply, tell me why i'm wrong (in your non shameful opinion) and the OP can make his own mind up, but don't ever ever say it's a shame i'm allowed to post on the subject at all!

I'm not sorry you're offended in all honesty. I think you bludgeon people with your opinion on this subject, to the point where nobody can discuss tuning a 4AGE without the expected rhetoric from your good self in return.

It's not a question of being right and wrong. If you think that, you've missed the point.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

elbon50 wrote:
Tsia wrote:I feel it'd be much like someone saying "I want to turbo my 3SGE" - people would instantly say "No, put in a 3S-GTE" because it's the logical option if that person is just after more power. I can't say I've ever understood the thing behind saying "I've got a slightly more powerful than standard, but still pretty weak engine that I've spent £x000 on!"

If you read through this thread from beginning to end you'll see that we have discussed possible methods of supercharging the 4A

That was me Peter.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sherwin whatever decision you make with your car, weigh up the options and the financials and go with whatever you want to do and whatever makes you happy.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

That was me Peter.

Lol

:oldtongue:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Don't worry OP, not every thread turns out like this :lol:

So, I guess it boils down to:

Do you want to specifically tune the 4AGE for the sake of having a 4AGE, or do you just want more power?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Tsia wrote:Don't worry OP, not every thread turns out like this :lol:

Do you want to specifically tune the 4AGE for the sake of having a 4AGE, or do you just want more power?

They always go this route with this particular discussion topic.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

charged wrote:
Tsia wrote:Don't worry OP, not every thread turns out like this :lol:

They always go this route with this particular discussion topic.

Just usually with a touch less emotion :lol:
sherwin1983

Post by sherwin1983 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Sherwin whatever decision you make with your car, weigh up the options and the financials and go with whatever you want to do and whatever makes you happy.

The car cost me well nothing really was a birthday gift a tired old mr2 mk1b (£150) He had stod for 10 years off the road on a drive way rotting! required welding, new fuel pump, major service, new brakes, Cam belt, alternator, water pump, new wind screen!! massive polish and spraying! ITs a great fun road legal track car! Just want to make it more pokie and stiffen up the ride.

Thanks guys.
bwrc

Post by bwrc »

There are some realy impressive options for tuning the 4age from the likes of Brian Crower and Manon Racing who do stroker kits to increase the capacity to over 1900 cc (Manon racing). One of these with ITBs and an uprated c64 gearbox would be great in a tarmac rally or sprint car
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

bwrc wrote:There are some realy impressive options for tuning the 4age from the likes of Brian Crower and Manon Racing who do stroker kits to increase the capacity to over 1900 cc (Manon racing). One of these with ITBs and an uprated c64 gearbox would be great in a tarmac rally or sprint car

Yes or a less expensive way of stroking could be to build a 7A-GE engine, using an Avensis block with 4A-GE head& other parts

A lad on AEU86.org did a writeup re that

Thing with a stroked 4A ( or 7A) is it doesn't want to rev like a stock 4A
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

You know what, screw it, i'm done offering engine advice and taking crap over it, it isn't worth my time and can't be ar$ed with the negativity from some.

Some people need to learn to respect others.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:You know what, screw it, i'm done offering engine advice and taking crap over it, it isn't worth my time and can't be ar$ed with the negativity from some.

Some people need to learn to respect others.

I do hope you re-consider that Paul

The forum will not be the same without your expert input
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou Peter, I'm not going anywhere and I'm still going to post advice on anything I feel I can help with, I just won't be getting involved in any further engine discussions, it bothers too many people apparently.
sherwin1983

Post by sherwin1983 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Thankyou Peter, I'm not going anywhere and I'm still going to post advice on anything I feel I can help with, I just won't be getting involved in any further engine discussions, it bothers too many people apparently.

Thanks paul for your help paul always trust you your a MR Genuines
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

bwrc wrote:There are some realy impressive options for tuning the 4age from the likes of Brian Crower and Manon Racing who do stroker kits to increase the capacity to over 1900 cc (Manon racing). One of these with ITBs and an uprated c64 gearbox would be great in a tarmac rally or sprint car

Yes, very interesting but extremely costly

A Brian Crower stroker kit with steel billet crank & racing rods at $3400

Phew !

How many IMOC members would have a dabble at that I wonder :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”