[Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kennym

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by kennym »

bobhatton wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:
bobhatton wrote:You need to read this.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=4 ... ge=1&pp=20

I'd love to but it seems they don't need any new members, as they thwart my efforts by not confirming the account :(

What was the outcome of the discussion?

Get Bob and Steve to sort it :thumleft:

Yeah righ ...... Email both over the last few YEARS....... it seams almost impossible to get on there
stuMR2lee

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by stuMR2lee »

I only joined mr2oc.com back in July. Got an email when I registered but then heard nothing. So I emailed Bill who's email address (@mr2oc.com) was at the bottom of the registration email and he sorted it.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

What are people's thoughts on the various types of body braces that are out there? Things like these www.ultraracing.com.my/Catalog.asp?Bran ... 2&pageno=1

I've currently got a Toms under body brace, however my understanding is that it only really has any benefit if you run coilovers? :-k

Also a question about ARBs - If replacing them with aftermarket units, such as the Whitelines etc, is it best practice to replace front and rears?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Why would under body braces only be a benefit with coilovers?

If you're going for Whitelines then best to have front and rear, the idea is to adjust the relative stiffness of front versus rear to tweak your handling :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

Magic Beans wrote:What are people's thoughts on the various types of body braces that are out there? Things like these www.ultraracing.com.my/Catalog.asp?Bran ... 2&pageno=1

I'd always go with a welded brace as structurally they are more rigid than a bolted design.

The Ultra Racing braces look like they'd be quite rigid and seem good value for money. TRD braces are very good but tend to be quite heavy. The EMS Powered aluminium braces look well designed but are expensive.

I've always used Carbing braces, they do a number of different ones for the MR2, their aluminium braces are very light in weight, rigid and the quality is superb.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

id say get the under trays and arch liners back in, should make a large difference and yeah dropping the front tyre width will help too.
i have all the stock trays fitted and a greddy front splitter, yellow billies with eibach springs and mines rock solid to well over 150mph (private road tested of course)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashman wrote:Why would under body braces only be a benefit with coilovers?

If you're going for Whitelines then best to have front and rear, the idea is to adjust the relative stiffness of front versus rear to tweak your handling :thumleft:

I'm sure I either read or was told it.:-k I couldn't really see the logic in it but I try to consider these things for the future.

I think I'll get the Whitelines, as they seem to review well by people who actually use them. Is there a better default setting to use on them front and rear, or is it a suck it and see type approach?

I'll be keeping tabs on your custom suspension thread by the way :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nic wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:What are people's thoughts on the various types of body braces that are out there? Things like these www.ultraracing.com.my/Catalog.asp?Bran ... 2&pageno=1

I'd always go with a welded brace as structurally they are more rigid than a bolted design.

The Ultra Racing braces look like they'd be quite rigid and seem good value for money. TRD braces are very good but tend to be quite heavy. The EMS Powered aluminium braces look well designed but are expensive.

I've always used Carbing braces, they do a number of different ones for the MR2, their aluminium braces are very light in weight, rigid and the quality is superb.

Do they all make a difference? I'm interested to add more bracing but I'd like to focus on the key areas, rather than sticking bars everywhere if they don't do anything of real merit. Some of those rear under braces are a good example, as I've not seen any bracing added there before. I'm curious to see if there's a noticeable improvement to be gained and not just improvements to these company's profits :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

dawesy wrote:id say get the under trays and arch liners back in, should make a large difference and yeah dropping the front tyre width will help too.
i have all the stock trays fitted and a greddy front splitter, yellow billies with eibach springs and mines rock solid to well over 150mph (private road tested of course)

I think their absence is ruining the airflow at the front of my car, so I'll be getting a proper custom piece made up. Hopefully one with built-in speed flaps, or at least provision to bolt them on in some way.

Might have to get creative with the liners though, as my stock arches have been out down to make room for the wheels and wide arch kit :-k
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Just had the rev 5 speed flaps or stone deflectors as Toyota call them fitted. Seem to make a small difference at 80 mph but it could be a placebo.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

nickg07 wrote:Just had the rev 5 speed flaps or stone deflectors as Toyota call them fitted. Seem to make a small difference at 80 mph but it could be a placebo.

What revision of '2 do you have? Is the rest of front end stock(ish)?
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Rev 3 all stock with all the standard plastic sheets in place underneath.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thanks. It's good to get different real-world experiences, especially if you're not running any other tweaks :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Have a chat with Patrick mate, most of the Championship cars run without the front plastic in place to get as much airflow around the brakes as possible...granted they ain't running 120mph+ (often!), so straight line high speed stability may be less of an issue to them, but still- potentially some useful information there :-k
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Tracks are likely to need more braking than day to day driving. And they can't be too detrimental as Toyota factory fitted them to the rev 5s.
I'll see how I get on with them during the week.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashman wrote:Have a chat with Patrick mate, most of the Championship cars run without the front plastic in place to get as much airflow around the brakes as possible...granted they ain't running 120mph+ (often!), so straight line high speed stability may be less of an issue to them, but still- potentially some useful information there :-k

I was hoping he might spot this thread and offer some wisdom O:)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Well, it's been a while and a long cold winter, however it's finally time to wipe the dust off an get cracking on some of these tasks I've got lined up.

The new tyres are here so while the wheels are off I wanted to install the arch liners I've acquired. Due to the wide arches I'm sure there'll be some fettling required to get them fitted properly but I'll deal with that when the time comes. I do have one arch related question though...

Is there any logic/benefit in sealing the arches around the areas they join the bodywork etc? I know they're held in place with fixings but I was wondering if there's anything to be gained in completely sealing them I.E. running a bead of silicone around the joins? I wasn't sure if it might affect/improve airflow or isolation? :-k

Just something I thought of over the last few weeks and wanted to get thoughts on whether I'm way off in my thinking :lol:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Magic Beans wrote:Well, it's been a while and a long cold winter, however it's finally time to wipe the dust off an get cracking on some of these tasks I've got lined up.

The new tyres are here so while the wheels are off I wanted to install the arch liners I've acquired. Due to the wide arches I'm sure there'll be some fettling required to get them fitted properly but I'll deal with that when the time comes. I do have one arch related question though...

Is there any logic/benefit in sealing the arches around the areas they join the bodywork etc? I know they're held in place with fixings but I was wondering if there's anything to be gained in completely sealing them I.E. running a bead of silicone around the joins? I wasn't sure if it might affect/improve airflow or isolation? :-k

Just something I thought of over the last few weeks and wanted to get thoughts on whether I'm way off in my thinking :lol:

They all seal very well once all the bolts are fitted so I do not think silicone will do much apart from making it hard to get the parts off.
The one place I think needs work is behind the spot lights, it needs to be sealed to stop air getting in behind the arche liners
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Which area do you mean Bob? The void between the inside rear of the bumper and the arches?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Magic Beans wrote:Which area do you mean Bob? The void between the inside rear of the bumper and the arches?

Yes thats it
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “Modifications”