(UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

N9THX

Re: (UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Post by N9THX »

Really have tried hard to settle this out of court but he's not interested.
He wrote in his first email that the engine was running fine when he had it back and fitted his turbo(against my written instruction) and manifold.
Then in the next one he said he's not liable for my failed engine thats damaged beyond repair.
Don't know why he wants to take it to court. The guy has already shot himself in the foot.
He said it uses no oil now but it used just as much as before and sounds like a bag of nails. The youtube vids only capture half the sound, if you came and listened you'd say it was a knacker.
Not driving it now unless I have to.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Are they willing to rectify it / replace it ? or is it all about you being reimbursed all costs ?!

If you're shooting for the latter, you're not going to get any response especially if you've threatened engine AND fitting charges...

I did have a good spare cylinder head which could have done the trick and inspected the rest of it whilst there....
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Maybe the blame lays elsewhere than GTSChris after reading the last few posts on engine flush? who knows :!:
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

But GTSChris tried to convince me and my wife it was fine after driving 200 miles.
After he knew we weren't being fobbed off he accused my turbo of causing the engine to become damaged.
So at the start he blamed the manifold for the noise.
Then he said there was no noise.
Then it was my turbo that'd caused low oil pressure that damaged the engine.
Me and my wife were just getting more and more annoyed by him stood in the dark in a scrapyard being treated like idiots.
Any option he gave me involved yet more cash.
If anyone wants to come listen to it or have a look PM me, you're more than welcome.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

why dont you take him up on his offer of giving him the block back in exchange for his other one? I know you'd be out of pocket for the fitting, but theres loads of folk out there who know mr2's whod fit for £150 ish
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Because now he's now said it's all my fault and won't answer calls or emails from me.
When I was in his yard he offered another block but for more cash, sorry but he's already had £800 cash off me and I don't have what I paid for. Why pay him even more.
The way he's changed his story so many times is crazy.
I've said to him if he puts the decent unit in then I'll be happy, he's either just stubborn or stupid.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Lewis said he did an oil flush, not an engine flush sorry.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

n9thx wrote:Lewis said he did an oil flush, not an engine flush sorry.

thats the same thing in the context of whats being talked about :thumleft:

was just having a little thought, i remember reading your old engine died due to the head being knackered/scored, obviously it must have been due to oil starvation but these are tough engines in reality, so what caused the lack of oil to create starvation? did you ever find out?
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

It was diagnosed by 2 mechanics as small end had gone.
Where has this head, oil starvation story come from?
It was a 100kPlus engine at the end of the day.
This engine from GTSChris has had 2 turbos tried on it, still smokes like the day I took delivery.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

n9thx wrote:It was diagnosed by 2 mechanics as small end had gone.
Where has this head, oil starvation story come from?
It was a 100kPlus engine at the end of the day.
This engine from GTSChris has had 2 turbos tried on it, still smokes like the day I took delivery.

Small ends dont just go though, 100k isnt alot at all for a 3sgte. Scoring of a journal happens for a reason, most likely 2 are either oil starvation (lack of oil, 3 main causes: blow by of the piston/rings, valve stem oil seals worn, turbo oil seals worn) or debris in the oil system. Did you ever find out what went wrong with the old engine?
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

The small end was noisy for a long time before it went, luckily by my house or i'd be in trouble as I had a car full of food shopping!
Listen, i've said this engine was bad from day one and sounded worn and smoked terribly. It's still the same, so anything that's wrong with it has been from when it was delivered.
I've only driven it when I couldn't borrow someone elses and when I did i've constantly checked and topped the oil as i've never had faith in it.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Dale_V wrote:why dont you take him up on his offer of giving him the block back in exchange for his other one?

I'd agree with this. Sounds like a reasonable resolution offered by the engine supplier.

My feelings on the matter are that you have purchased a used engine (note not brand new) from a very well respected supplier. For whatever reason(s) the engine now has a fault. This is to be expetced every so often when buying 20 year old used engines, the supplier has offered a replacement so now you should take him up on that offer, if it still stands. This is a very satisfactory offer from the supplier as he has tested the engine and has a reputation for selling good products, also he strongly suspects any issue with the engine was caused after it left his hands.

I can understand if the engine supplier however no longer wishes to have anything to do with you, I certainly wouldn't entertain you after you blackmailed him via a threat of posting on an open forum unless he repayed you for the engine and fitting (totally unreasonable) and threatened court action.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

For several reasons I think there is more to this than has been posted, but figuring out whats gone wrong is proving hard work because the same reply is coming back of a blinkered point that GTSchris's engine is duff and thats the end of it. There is more to it than that, there has to be.

Also im talking about your previous engine because like I say small ends dont just give up the ghost, i've already stated what can score them, in a way what im trying to prevent is you having a 3rd engine installed into your car and the same happens again becuase of a lingering problem thats been transfered on each engine, eg: that turbo! I know its not old, but it needs examining properly. It could be blowing enough oil that was significant to lower the oil level and cause starvation problems, its Ok saying that with the standard CT26 thats now installed the engines still burning oil, but it would do wouldnt it, because there could potentially be more damage to the engine now than when the engine was shipped. maybe between engine installation and you initally viewing the car, the engine burnt enough oil from that hybrid turbo to create starvation>scoring problems.

I dont really think anyone can help anymore as all the sensible suggested resolutions have been dismissed, ie: that swap of an engine from GTSchris. in a field where its hard to point blame at what went wrong, I think he has given you a more than fair solution to get a working engine again, obviously its gunna cost you a few hundred quid, but I dont think you are realistically going to get a better solution from court, it will also end the madness of driving around on a knowingly knocking engine creating more problems to GTSChris's CT26 turbo he put on as a replacement and to the block/pistons/crank that has monetary value to him if you did the exchange for this new block
Chris

Post by Chris »

Unfortunately I think you are fighting a losing battle here. Too many variables. Now I have built/fitted many engines but under no circumstances would I fit a turbo off a previous failed engine. The fact the engine was not fitted by GTSChris. Anything could of happened. Maybe the fitter dropped a ball and fired it up with no oil in it? Maybe he got the timing incorrect first off? Maybe it's not actually the engine that was bought?

I can't imagine a well known supplier sending a shafted engine out. It will be difficult to prove the turbo was not the root cause of the failure of the current fitted engine. I am in the process of fitting a 3.0 V6 twin turbo after a rod failure. There will be no way the old turbo's will be fitted to it. 2 new ones on order.

Good Luck with it all. But if Chris has offered a block. Snatch it up, rebuild the turbo, get rid of the manifold (it's fooked mate) and get another chap to fit it.

Chris.
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

i can well imagine that if this does go to court that a detailed inspection from a 3rd party will be required. Most likely at you initial cost. If the findings point to anything other than a broken engine from the outset (ie, not turbo related) then more than likely you will lose the case. The burdon of proof is on you to prove the fault, not on the supplier or fitters.
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

You seem to be missing the massive point.

I drove 200 miles to collect the car as GTSCHRIS had said it was fine and it was my manifiold and my turbo causing the noise and smoke. Fair enough, i'd have to shell out if he'd fixed it.

He insisted it was fine infront of myself and my wife whilst smoke was billowing out of the exhaust and the engine was knocking still. Nothing had changed. The car is parked up if anyone wants to view/test it.

He himself said he took it for a test drive with no nasty noises, no smoke and no oil consumption.

The next time i hear off him he says he's not liable for my failed engine.

Sorry but would you not be mega upset after shelling out £800 then treated like a fool?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Chris wrote:Unfortunately I think you are fighting a losing battle here. But if Chris has offered a block. Snatch it up, rebuild the turbo, get rid of the manifold (it's fooked mate)

Great advice :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mate you seriously need to take emotion out of the equation, forget how you feel about it, and how it all happened....and just ask yourself as honestly as possible: what is the best outcome I can reasonably expect now?

Given that the car has been driven since fitting, and since both parties have acknowledged it has issues, I really don't think you have much chance in court...you no longer have any physical evidence that you were or were not supplied a bad engine...I know you have emails etc, but at the end of day the physical evidence is no more.

At best this is now a case of he said, I said, etc etc...I'm no legal expert, but it just doesn't sounds like a winner in court!

In my honest opinion the best you can hope for is the replacement engine you were originally offered, and chalk the install costs down to experience...it stings....but in all honesty it is your best outcome given where you now stand?

Unfortunately by dragging it through the public domain, I fear Chris won't honour his offer anymore mate...hindsight and all that, but some things are best sorted in private.

Sorry mate...it's tough, but I think that's where you're at now...
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

First off, i've tried countless times to contact him to just replace the knacker with a decent unit, no joy.

Him trying to say i've not listened to advice, ran the car and caused the damage, telling me it now uses no oil when it clearly does etc etc is quite frankly taking the proverbial.

To top it all he wanted more cash to correct the problem.

I know he has sold good stuff and i've brought it no probs but him trying to stitch me up is out of order.

Can ANYONE excuse him saying he's tested the engine after i'd returned it and it was fine and then saying he accepts no liability for my failed engine.
The two statements are completely opposite and made about the same engine at the same point in time.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

n9thx wrote:
Can ANYONE excuse him saying he's tested the engine after i'd returned it and it was fine and then saying he accepts no liability for my failed engine.
The two statements are completely opposite and made about the same engine at the same point in time.

After seeing the way you have dealt with this in public you'll have to excuse me for taking what you say with a pinch of salt. I'd want to hear the trader's side of the situation.. which I doubt we'll get as you have pushed it far too far by posting all over a public forum. I'm sorry but it really pi88es me off when someone threatens to (or as stated earlier blackmail) an established trader who has sold countless engines without problems. In my line of work I see it all the time and all it does is cause further problems with both parties digging their heels in.
Are you honestly surprised he is not taking your calls/answering emails?

You say you have been ripped off knowingly by this trader? Why the hell would he risk his excellent reputation for the sake of one engine which I am sure he could and would have replaced no questions asked??

You can also excuse the engine seller for wanting nothing further to do with you or the topics posted all over IMOC, which I'm afraid you only have yourself to blame for.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Posting on here is a result of him not sorting this out.

I've offered to sort this out but he wants more money for the other block, would you give someone who's lied to you more money? He tried to pass the engine off as fine in Newcastle but it was rough as a nail. Sorry but when you've driven 200 miles to pick up a car you've been told is fine and finding it as rough as when it was sent off, how would you feel?

You wouldn't be too keen to throw more money at him would you?

The next day i offered to have the other block fitted if he'd agree, to prevent court action.

This is when the story changed from the engine was fine to "i accept no liability for your failed engine"

Plus you accuse me of blackmail? He said if i posted on here then i owed him money for work he's done, work for what? I'd specifically told him not to touch my turbo yet he removed it anyway. Does that seem normal?

What part of this have i made up or seems fair to anyone?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”