PP cars all rubbish?????

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marf

Re: PP cars all rubbish?????

Post by Marf »

Yeah I'd like to see more info on the 2835 equipped cars.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

my thinking on these cars is maybe they are getting old hence why they are being exported, also they may be running on race gas when tested & last of all if they are good tuning firms they may not want people seeing there maps so when they export them they may give them a little adjustment. bit like the old max power video when they go to japan to top secrets garage & as they walk up to the guy with the lap top he closes it quickly :thumleft:
Chris

Post by Chris »

Doesn't say much for whoever maps all the PP cars over here then does it :whistle: That is if what you are saying is true of coarse.
tarmac terrorist

[quote="Chris"]Doesn't say much for whoever maps all the PP cars over here then does it :whistle: That is if what you are saying is true of coarse.[/quote
im not doubting the uk tuners, just saying you dont know what the japs have done to them to get them figures :thumleft:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

[quote="tarmac terrorist"[/quote
im not doubting the uk tuners, just saying you dont know what the japs have done to them to get them figures :thumleft:[/quote]

Tune them surely 8-[
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
tarmac terrorist

Andy F wrote:[quote="tarmac terrorist"[/quote
im not doubting the uk tuners, just saying you dont know what the japs have done to them to get them figures :thumleft:

Tune them surely 8-[[/quote]
ye but with what , pump gas 110 octane 120 130 , methanol ,ethanol ,nitro methanol rocket fuel etc lol :lol:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Lol, i get what your saying!
But what people dont seem to realise is when you tune a car for race gas
all thats done is a trim is added to the original map

Advance is added and added until det, then take out a degree and thats it.

Hope no one has been charged by a mapper making out its a big deal :sick:
Built by YVS Performance
tarmac terrorist

Andy F wrote:Lol, i get what your saying!
But what people dont seem to realise is when you tune a car for race gas
all thats done is a trim is added to the original map

Advance is added and added until det, then take out a degree and thats it.

Hope no one has been charged by a mapper making out its a big deal :sick:

agreed mate :thumleft: :thumleft:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

What would you consider good power?

The black PP came into the country with a hybrid turbo, the hks turbo kit was fitted later. Its also never run 2bar of boost.
The pp cars we know of run more power then the majority of cars on this site.

What’s more important then dyno graphs and bits of paper is how the cars drives and how the power is put down.

I have never been one for chasing numbers.
:thumleft:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

The pp cars we know of run more power then the majority of cars on this site.

Ok then fill in the blanks approx power will do or
quarter mile times if were not number chasing

Black car ________

Lockys car _______

Jims car _______

Any others??
Built by YVS Performance
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

The whole point of the OP was the fact PP are so hyped up and supposed to be the best parts etc, not to have a pop at the lads who own them now
and the fact that lots of work has had to been done to get them to perform

But as Jim has pointed out not all PP cars were "monster power" cars and had different power goals.

The fact remains people associate PP with big power.................
Built by YVS Performance
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Hyped up I guess cause they are one of the only tuning companies that catered for the mr2 and big power parts back in the day. There also very exclusive being a small outfit (unlike greddy/hks) People like rare parts, of which pp have customised and fabricated many for the mr2. And dare I say it one of the innovaters of custom mr2 upgrades and of quick drag mr2s a little while ago.
People just like rare things, hense the hype I guess.

back to the cars, bare in mind that black car, and mine ('if' it is pp tuned), only really has direct bolt ons. And possible forged build.
No different to any of the built cars on here running stock manifold, stock rail, ic, PFC, 800/850s. I wouldn't expect them to make any more than a uk built car. It's only really the random turbo that is the difference.

However, when you look at that red (fmic) and white (lockys) with boot mounts (which pp were doing in the mid 90s I believe) , pp intake manifolds that take up boot space, 272, 288 cams, dual pumps, custom tanks/swirl pots, fcon ecus, 2.2 stroked, etc etc then that is a whole new ball game.
And Lockys has produced the goods. That red one, well never seen or heard of it other than that max power page. It must have made that 750hp to claim it. And going by that pp link, lots of pp mr2 cars running 350-500ps in japan anyway.

I only have one dyno plot of when Ryan mapped it when it was imported by rash at ramotors (before i owned it). Rash had it mapped pretty much straight off the boat.
That was 342hp peaking at 7800rpm at 1.15bar.
Tho since owning it I've now realised that dyno was with a hugely cracked exhaust manifold, wastegate valve was loose and a cam out a tooth on the cambelt. Since sorted those out now since I've owned it. Which should free up a decent amount of hp with any luck. (I'm hoping, lol). And fitted engine lid fans and an ic fan which has brought intake temps down alot as well compared to when I got it.

I'm only hoping for top 300s hp wise now with 1.4-1.6bar. I'd be happy with that. Yes it's not 500+ but my setup simply wouldn't allow for that. (altho my boost gauge has recorded a peak of 2bar when I got it! Lol) All I want from the car is it to scare me on boost. Lol. That's where I get my kicks, and this hp level is doing that just fine on the roads near me! Infact I'm loving the car, it's perfect for me which is all that matters.

The exclusivity factor does run true for me as well as others (given mines a rev5 as well) I did think about the 3076 but loved the rare setup of the rx6b apexi top mount turbo. I don't know of anyone else on the forums running one, which was enough reason for me to keep it and not go for higher hp (even tho the 3076 prob has better spool and potential power).

The likes of the red/blue/White for sure have had crazy amounts spent and done, And are probably true demo cars, with no dout unlimited funds and time, not just customer payed for and tuned pp cars, which I guess is like mine. All these at some time made great hp, 600+, be it in japan or whatever. Few cars built to these specs are maintainance free!!!

Given the parts and tech now, sure, built cars will be better, last longer etc etc, but you can't take away the achievements of a tiny company that did 'used' to produce the goods back in japan 5-10years ago. I bet they hardly work on mr2s these days. Would bet most of there efforts are now on r34 new gtr projects.
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Very well explained Jim
Point taken :thumleft:
Built by YVS Performance
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

:whistle: :thumleft:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Reliability has to play a big role, whats the point of big power if it causes the engine to last only a year.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

afennell wrote:Reliability has to play a big role, whats the point of big power if it causes the engine to last only a year.

they prob were reliable 5-10years ago when they were built, lol.

Afennell you wernt tempted this time around for that black one??? Remember you was gutted you couldn't get it last time. :(
greeny

Post by greeny »

You had yours down the strip yet Chris?

What did yours put out on the dyno Andy? Or you had it on one?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Chris

Post by Chris »

Not in it's current state of tune, nope. :mrgreen: Need some better tyres first for definate. My terminals before used to wonder around 120-126 but could never get in the 11's used normally around 12 dead ish. p1$$ poor 60ft times due to wheels spinning were the main cause of it. Once had a 4 sec 60ft...I was proud of that one :lol: :mad: :roll: If it does not go or get broken this year should be good fun. Simon is going to lend me his Micky T's this year so hope it should tip into low 11's high tens.

Andys has never been dyno'd but lows 11's says it all. This is before the latest re map and additions. He is also hoping for 10's I think this year.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Chris wrote:Not in it's current state of tune, nope. :mrgreen: Need some better tyres first for definate. My terminals before used to wonder around 120-126 but could never get in the 11's used normally around 12 dead ish. p1$$ poor 60ft times due to wheels spinning were the main cause of it. Once had a 4 sec 60ft...I was proud of that one :lol: :mad: :roll: If it does not go or get broken this year should be good fun. Simon is going to lend me his Micky T's this year so hope it should tip into low 11's high tens.

Andys has never been dyno'd but lows 11's says it all. This is before the latest re map and additions. He is also hoping for 10's I think this year.

Get it down the strip, and dont be selling it, get it at totb :?:

Ive got some sticky tyres for next time she gets out the garage again.

How fast has simon gone now? was low 10's wasnt he?

I think a dyno day should be had too!
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Chris

Post by Chris »

Depends on the finances matey. I have just started my own business and stuff so I need money :lol: Yeah, Simon run a 10.4 at York. He needs to get it down to Santa Pod. It will be interesting to see what it does there.

Sticky tyres area must especially at York, surface is just getting worse and worse. I can't believe they have not done anything about it. Shame as it would be great if they did. Lets start a petition :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”