Quigonjay

Re: MR2 Super GT Race Series for 2010

Post by Quigonjay »

the race isnt over until the fat computer sings :lol:
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

Can't wait to hear more about this!

When do you expect to have the full list of regs up for us to read?

Cheers
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I'm hoping to have draft regulations available by the end of the week.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

The sad thing is, I just put all the interior back in the supercharger :cry:

open ears on this
ashley

Post by ashley »

Rogue wrote:I'm hoping to have draft regulations available by the end of the week.

Can't wait to see them, very curious to see how far things can be taken :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

any more in car footage of the turbo mk3 mister rogue? :)
Pikester

Post by Pikester »

Rogue wrote:I'm hoping to have draft regulations available by the end of the week.

I'm keen to see some of the finer details! Could be a very interesting race series!

I love the fact you're gearing it towards cool looking race cars :D

Mike
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Patrick, I think you may enjoy reading the TRD GT Journals on this page...

http://www.nijigenshingu.info/allion/do ... index.html
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

Any update on the regs?

Cheers
ashley

Post by ashley »

karldavies wrote:Any update on the regs?

Cheers

I know you're not allowed to space frame a chassis [-(

:clown:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

karldavies wrote:Any update on the regs?

Soon, I promise. If anyone has any questions in the meantime I can normally give you a straight answer - just give me a call at the office. (Actually, I'm racing at Snetterton this weekend so after today I won't be back in the office until Monday).

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Okay, I'm nearly finished with the regulations. :thumleft:

Key to the whole series though is that people understand the basic underlying concept of the Performance Index system. Please can you read through the following and let me know if it's clear enough:

Performance Index

The MR2 Super GT series uses "Black Box" technology to capture information about a vehicle's performance during a race. The Race Technology DL1 Datalogger uses a built in 5Hz GPS receiver and digital 3 axis accelerometer to provide very precise information about the forces acting on a car at all times, from which can be extrapolated a figure that represents a vehicle's overall performance relative to other vehicles using the same method. At it's most basic level, think of it as a device that gives your car a score for it's abilities every time you drive it.

Because the Datalogger is totally independent from the vehicle we are able to give competitors much more freedom in tuning and modifying their engines. Essentially, we're not concerned with how you achieve the engine's power output - just that you don't exceed the limit for the class you're racing in.

How it works:
There are four factors that we need to take into account when calculating the performance index:

- Weight
- Coefficient of drag multiplied by frontal area (CdA)
- Rolling Resistance
- Environmental parameters - ambient pressure, temperature and humidity

Of these, rolling resistance can be largely discounted. Since all cars in the MR2 Super GT series are using the same type of tyres the difference between the actual sizes would be negligible. Environmental factors are measured trackside during the race and used to calibrate the data. We're therefore left with weight and CdA to consider. For the purposes of our performance index, we use a standard bodied MR2 with a weight of 1000kgs as our datum.

Given all of the above information, it is possible for the Race Technology Analysis software to use data from the DL1 Datalogger to accurately calculate the power used at any given moment. A standard bodied MR2 with a 150kw engine and weighing 1000kgs would report a performance index figure of 150 - essentially the car's power to weight ratio. Varying the weight of the vehicle affects the performance index - a lighter vehicle gives a higher score, while a heavier vehicle lowers the score. If the vehicle in the above example weighed 800kgs it's performance index would increase to 187.5, or decrease to 125 if it weighed 1200kgs.

The final consideration is the car's aerodynamic efficiency. Using the standard MR2 body as our starting point, reducing the cars coefficient of drag or frontal area - effectively making it more slippery - will give a higher score and vice versa. It's worth noting that some aerodynamic aids can improve downforce at the expense of increasing drag - which would lower a car's performance index score. It is therefore expected that most competitors will take advantage of this and fit large wings to their cars.

To summarise, the following things will increase a vehicle's performance index score:

- Increasing the power of the engine
- Reducing the co-efficient of drag
- Reducing the frontal area
- Reducing the vehicle's weight

The following will decrease a vehicle's performance index score:

- Reducing the power of the engine
- Increasing the co-efficient of drag
- Increasing the frontal area
- Increasing the vehicle's weight

The only way to be sure of a car's performance index score is to test the vehicle at circuit, and competitors should be prepared to do this throughout the season.
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

Seems relatively straight forward.

How will the drag actualy be measured? if it is to be actualy measured is it after every modification? or is there a rule about not changing things after the calculations have been made?

Phil
ashley

Post by ashley »

Drag won't be measured specifically...if you reduce your drag you will accelerate faster, and hence end up with a high performance index (PI).

You can make any changes you want, but you risk exceeding the PI of the class you are racing in if you do anything that increases your car's acceleration. Your PI being measured dynamically every time you race, and the results being checked after each race by the marshals.

I think that's right anyway :eye:

Keen to see the more detailed reg's though- for example how much bracing can be added to the chassis, is seam welding allowed, is fully adjustable suspension free, etc...

Cheers Patrick- this is going to be an exciting race series
:thumleft:
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

*edit* btw thanks Ash, I think I see now.
*/edit*

yeah wish i was in a position to take part. Sound awesome.

Phil
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

You might need a minor exception for the "No modifications to suspension pickups" for certain mk1s. Pre Aug 86 the front top mounts only had 3 mounting points, later cars have 4. With the control coilovers being advertised as suitable for 86-89 cars I'm assuming they have 4 bolt top mounts and therefore will not fit an earlier car unless a 4th mounting point is drilled.

Also I see that you explicitly allow engines and gearboxes from Lexus cars but do not make reference to other potential sources of production Toyota engines (such as Lotuses) does this mean that they are disallowed or had you just not considered it?
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Rogue wrote:Draft regs are up:

http://www.mr2supergt.com/draftregulations.html

I recognise that car, didn't used to look like that though :-k
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

kaiowas wrote:You might need a minor exception for the "No modifications to suspension pickups" for certain mk1s. Pre Aug 86 the front top mounts only had 3 mounting points, later cars have 4. With the control coilovers being advertised as suitable for 86-89 cars I'm assuming they have 4 bolt top mounts and therefore will not fit an earlier car unless a 4th mounting point is drilled.

Good spot. The controlled suspension kits will not be the same as the retail kits - they'll be particularly valved and sprung for race use. It shouldn't be a problem to have a specific top mount made up to suit early cars but I will double check.

kaiowas wrote:Also I see that you explicitly allow engines and gearboxes from Lexus cars but do not make reference to other potential sources of production Toyota engines (such as Lotuses) does this mean that they are disallowed or had you just not considered it?

Yes, any Toyota manufactured engine can be used. I make specific reference to Lexus as there are some Toyota engines in Lexus cars that aren't available in Toyota cars. All of the engines in Lotus cars are available in Toyotas.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

jonb- wrote:
Rogue wrote:Image

I recognise that car, didn't used to look like that though :-k

Used to be 2 litre as well...

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”