ST 185 Brake conversion

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tom G

Re: ST 185 Brake conversion

Post by Tom G »

Jim-SR wrote:
Tom G wrote:Therefore if front and rear piston size is the same, bias is 50/50.
If front area is twice that of rear, bias is 66/33.

making the assumption that the master cylinder is doing the same amount of work for both ends of the car. bearing in mind they are 2 seperate circuits, with a proportioning valve thrown in for good measure!

yeah, sorry that's assuming no proportioning valve (I removed mine).

But why shouldn't the master cylinder do the same work for front and rear? I mean, there's only one piston, so same bore for both circuits? Or does the M/C have some kind of proportioning device built in?

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Tom G wrote:
Jim-SR wrote:
Tom G wrote:Therefore if front and rear piston size is the same, bias is 50/50.
If front area is twice that of rear, bias is 66/33.

making the assumption that the master cylinder is doing the same amount of work for both ends of the car. bearing in mind they are 2 seperate circuits, with a proportioning valve thrown in for good measure!

yeah, sorry that's assuming no proportioning valve (I removed mine).

But why shouldn't the master cylinder do the same work for front and rear? I mean, there's only one piston, so same bore for both circuits? Or does the M/C have some kind of proportioning device built in?

im fairly sure the MR2 does the same for both circuits, but thats not the case on all cars. the only proportioning valve that im aware of is the external one, which ive never seen any definite proof as to its effect on the bias. it would be nice to have a number really, might have to test it one day.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The mk1 prop valve is 55% front 45% rear.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I think what really puzzles me here is that of all the people I know who track MK1s, none seem to have bothered with a brake upgrade. Its never something that I have honestly considered, the fronts lock up easily enough anyway, why would I want to make it worse? I've driven a track car with big brakes and all I did was lock up the fronts continually, which was crap in all honesty and didn't inspire any confidence really.

Yet of all the people that don't seem to go for the track stuff, seem to want to upgrade their brakes. It makes no sense to me.

I do wonder if a lot of people haven't got their rear brakes working 100% as this makes a mega difference IMO.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

There seems to be a certain amount of negativity towards upgrading anything on a mk1 on imoc/mk1 club..... ive no idea why this is? If you look on any other car forum they gladly embrace anything that makes the car stop/go/handle/look better.

Im not sure if it's just an anoraky "toyota knew best" attitude ?? For me anything that improves the stopping ability of a car has got to be a good thing,wether or not you actually use that extra braking is subjective but the fact remains that it's an upgrade over the stock braking system regardless.

Each to their own i guess.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'm not sure its negativity to modifying that is the issue though. I guess from my perspective its upgrading almost for the sake of it when there doesn't really seem to be an inherent need to so do in the first place.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

"so do" :D

I see where you are coming from,but surely if there is an option to improve something then why not? We could argue that fitting koni's is unnecessary to a road car because there is nothing wrong with the stock suspension,but people do upgrade for more reasons than just "for the sake of it".

Personally i much prefer the feel and stopping power of celica brakes on a mk1.
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

Lauren wrote:I'm not sure its negativity to modifying that is the issue though. I guess from my perspective its upgrading almost for the sake of it when there doesn't really seem to be an inherent need to so do in the first place.

So i cant interest you in an mdf parcel shelf with 6x9 speakers in for your 'Teg that i have leftover from when i had one.

Is your Integra standard?
jimi

Post by jimi »

I'm not for or against uprating the brakes, I can see just as valid reasons for both pionts of view.
IMHO a lot depends on the the way an individual drives, some are harder on the brakes than others, so uprated brakes suit some but not others.
But I do think Lauren has a made a extremely valid point here
Lauren wrote:
I do wonder if a lot of people haven't got their rear brakes working 100% as this makes a mega difference IMO.

From my own experience I can totally agree with this, makes me wonder how many a uprate the fronts before ensuring the standard brakes ( front and rear) are in tip top condition, then find themselves starting down the road of gutting bias valves and uprating rears trying to restore the balance that Mr T designed into the system in the first place.

I've got the single pot ST185 callipers on the front of my
On track they're very good, no fade at all, just if you are too enthusiastic they do lock up, but it's easy to control and to be honest my rear brakes are probably doing nothing at all at the as they've not even been looked at since I got the car. When I get a chance I'm going to look at refurbing the rears and maybe gutting the bias valve.

Jimi
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Lauren wrote:I think what really puzzles me here is that of all the people I know who track MK1s, none seem to have bothered with a brake upgrade.

Apart from me. :whistle:

I had my brakes working 100% but after being in Andy's car with the Hi-Specs and seeing how well it stopped at Anglesey I thought they were a very worthwhile upgrade.
silentk

Post by silentk »

Limeymk1 wrote:
Lauren wrote:I think what really puzzles me here is that of all the people I know who track MK1s, none seem to have bothered with a brake upgrade.

Apart from me. :whistle:

and me..... :whistle:

Not that you know me! But I do track mine
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

eRATic wrote:
So i cant interest you in an mdf parcel shelf with 6x9 speakers in for your 'Teg that i have leftover from when i had one.

Is your Integra standard?

Its already got 6x9 speakers in the rear shelf as it came with them, just in the standard parcel shelf though, not a great fit either, so maybe, Mark said he didn't really care about the shelf though.

Also has UK size brakes as stock ones for JDM cars are a tad on the small side. Again this was already done. Ditto 98 spec stainless exhaust purely from the fit and forget it perspective.

Brakes on the Teg really are very, very good. Easier to get a good setup on a Front engined car though I guess.

Mind you coming back to mk1 brakes, the Super Edition is completely standard so that would never get modified. And as it only gets driven on the road (well it hasn't moved for a year) there is absolutely no point on 'upgrading' the brakes.
OlberJ

Post by OlberJ »

Strangely i can lock up my 1.6 with Mk1a brakes a lot easier than the 1.6 with ST165 (twin piston) setup.

The Mk1 brakes give a wee bit, a wee, bit, a wee bit, everything!

The ST165's are better at doing it in one smooth wind down evenly before they lock up.
Sponge Bob

Post by Sponge Bob »

I've got the upgrade to ST185s on my 1.5 - and I have to say, they are an absolute superb modification.

When I get another standard Mk1, it will certainly be the first upgrade I do - along with the rear brakes. There's nothing like having that extra stopping power.

Just my 1p (wasn't enough for the full 2p)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”