[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jdbecks

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Post by jdbecks »

so i found this, whats B and E? the other 3 wires must be for the ecu to control the pump etc

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Found the diagram I was after:

B is switched live, E is earth/ground.

Combined with the diagram you've posted above that should be all the wiring info anyone ever needs for this project :thumleft:

If you're not running an ST205 ECU the only other wire you'll want to pay attention to is MTT. In theory, when the motor in the pump pwns itself, it will become a higher resistance than 4.5 ohms, so the battery +ve current will go through the resistor to the MTT pin instead. So you can connect that to a 'PUMP FAILED AAARGH' light somewhere!
ELS

Post by ELS »

Awesome write up john your attention to detail is superb! :thumleft:

Quick question, do you think its possible to mount up the fiat cinquicento rad behind the standard front bumper?

+

Do you think its possible to mount up this rad behind the standard front bumper using the radiator mounting brackets you designed? :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

All very interesting questions. I've never worked on an MR2 with a standard bumper so I wouldn't be able to answer them unfortunately. However the angle is too steep for the border replica I'm fitting to my car at the moment (which is also why I haven't done the engine-bay end of this guide yet) and so I've had to take 2 small chunks out of it.

The long straight of the bracket that reaches down to the bottom left corner on my diagram is too long. It should come to a finish ~80mm before, and drop down vertically to a right angle with the last length of the bracket.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

allan welsh has a fiat rad mounted behind a stock bumper, might add you need to cut away at the back of a toms bumper tho
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Allan took his air conditioning out.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

toxo wrote:Unless I'm very much mistaken, Allan took his air conditioning out.

indeedy air con was removed as the compresser was dead. I'm sure there was someone that managed to run the air con and the fiat unit on std bumper. There certainly looks plenty of space in there
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Put the engine hanger bracket on today in my lunch break. Much harder getting this stuff done when it gets dark so early! I've updated the guide on page 1, I'm really not convinced it was worth bothering with though. What do you guys think?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

as far as the hanger goes, it would be a personal choice. It's a fantastic write up you've done so huge thanks for that alone :clap:

I should have done something similar with mine but hindsight is a wonderful thing lol
Benmoore999

hanger

Post by Benmoore999 »

I put the hanger on to support the chargecooler more. I suppose you would get less strain on the throttle sock. I thought it may offer additional support when i went on the track.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: hanger

Post by toxo »

Benmoore999 wrote:I put the hanger on to support the chargecooler more. I suppose you would get less strain on the throttle sock. I thought it may offer additional support when i went on the track.

That's exactly why I did it :thumleft: I did actually go as far as looking at swapping the mr2 coolant neck with the Celica one but they're completely different, plus that would have been a xxxx of a lot of work for very little gain ;)

Guide updated again, started on the engine bay end now. Found another EPC diagram too, this one details the throttle parts on the celica. Toyota's grouping is very odd, the throttle assembly is detailed in the 'Air Cleaner' diagram... I'd also welcome your opinions on modifying the water inlet on the chargecooler core to fit around the coolant neck :thumleft:
Benmoore999

pipes

Post by Benmoore999 »

I wish this write up was around when i did my conversion. :) The CC pipes I just warmed with my blow torch a little and stuck a 3/8th breaker bar in and twisted it round until it was at the right angle to clear the filler neck. Just takes a bit of trial and error.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

allan welsh wrote:
toxo wrote:Unless I'm very much mistaken, Allan took his air conditioning out.

indeedy air con was removed as the compresser was dead. I'm sure there was someone that managed to run the air con and the fiat unit on std bumper. There certainly looks plenty of space in there

Yup, fully working (not that I use it a lot lol) air con and the Fiat rad in my car with a standard bumper :thumleft:

Can this not be put in the KB? I know it's not the traditional KB kind of article, but from what I've seen it's a more or less complete guide?

Hats off to you Toxo, you've done an outstanding job of this mate :salut:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Thanks! I'll submit it to the KB once I've finished it. I've done it here first because there's obviously some bits I needed other folks to help with :thumleft:

Edit: Just realised that the front page of this thread was over 60mb... with some bulk JPEG resampling & rescaling, it's now 1/10th of that :)
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Ive just bought a spares car with this system fitted (And standard bumper )
is there much gain to be had with a standard engine, and hardly use the car?
good write up as well mate :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

BLZ-8027 wrote:Ive just bought a spares car with this system fitted (And standard bumper )
is there much gain to be had with a standard engine, and hardly use the car?

Good question. My understanding is that it lends itself to boost increases. You get a boost increase just by fitting it as the air will be denser. However you should also then be able to crank the boost up without massively increasing knock (someone correct me if I'm wrong lol) or overheating the engine. Plus it's got to be better for the engine having a cooler intake right?

BLZ-8027 wrote:good write up as well mate :thumleft:

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

toxo wrote:I haven't yet decided what to do about running the pump. I don't like the idea of running it flat out all the time. If I can find one cheap, I'll throw an ST205 ECU in there and it can just run exactly as it would in the Celica (something like it comes on when the throttle's open past a certain point, and runs for 30 seconds after the throttle has returned). If not I'll put the ECU money towards a Link and that can run it. That route is more costly, but will also get me an engine remap which is probably a good idea.

Found an ST205 ECU relatively cheap (thanks turbomax) so I'll be using that - might be able to shed some light on its pump logic by the end of this too!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Whoops, mistaken post :oops:
LiamTye

Post by LiamTye »

toxo when you finishing this write up wanna get started on mne and relieing on you :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

lol sorry, I ran out of money this month and I still need to use the car regularly so it's on hold until I can afford the next set of silicon hoses etc... got another £100 worth of parts (some related) waiting for me at Mr T as well...

Return to “Modifications”