Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, that may be enough, if it's going on by hand with some force it probably doesn't need much. Could cool the shaft down as well to give that little bit extra clearance.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Just heat that mofo up evenly, will slide right on.

AVE is awesome. FOCUS YOU F@#£ :lol:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

sorry for hijacking jim's thread, but if you like AvE then it's worth checking out Abom79 and doubleboost - both good engineering channels
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyuO8Bdcss

there you go Jim... don't go forcing/twisting it, you don't want to bed the blades and throw it off balance
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

C35Rob wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyuO8Bdcss

there you go Jim... don't go forcing/twisting it, you don't want to bed the blades and throw it off balance

yeh thats what i was worried about applying too much pressure given the blades are thinner than the cast ones. hopefully i havent done anything untoward already!

in all the threads and videos i read, noone mentioned heating it up, hence the initial confusion.

looks like a hair dryer may well do the job looking at that

:thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

got busted with a £23+£22 custom charges for 2 parcels, bit annoying kinugawa didnt send the items in one parcel, but guess items came from different warehouses maybe.
this is for the rebuild kit and turbine wheel.

the billet wheel itself for whatever reason i got away with (even though this had more value).

so rebuild kit and billet is here, turbine wheel on monday.

new oil and coolant lines and fittings here. (im reusing a couple of the original fittings that came with the turbo kit).

shane has kindly offered to weld in a wideband bung for the downpipe.

so with any luck i can get this on before xmas!

:thumleft: :mrgreen:

not a great pic, but there you go
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Good luck with the build. The turbo i bought from you is still sat in the box in the lounge lol
Can you do pics and a thread for the rebuild as id be interested to know how its done.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Many many thanks to shane34 this afternoon, who very kindly welded in a bung into my ATS downpipe.
Nice to meet ya fella and chat MR2s.

He also fixed the issue the previous owner of the turbo androo007 mentioned he had, which was an annoying rattle coming from the downpipe area which was traced down to the wastegate flapper in the turbine housing not being fully sealed down before the flapper arm was welded to the housing.
It was basically vibrating against the housing as well as not actually sealing.

Shane cut the old weld and forced the arm lower, and rewelded.
The flapper is now fully sealed, no more rattle/vibration!

We worked out I should have regained some spool up now too, even if minor, as the old flapper position being loose would have diverted gases going to the blades.
Happy days.

Wastegate flap now fully wedged against the housing, no more rattle.

Closer look of rebuild kit

Wider journal bearing spacers

Twin port oil feed over original single

st185l

Post by st185l »

Wow, a great project. I've read it all in a few days, very interesting

Sorry to ask but as that is the first of the post, is it a Gen 3 engine or Gen 2 whit gen 3 inyectors and unlocked fuel pump?

Big differences between the modified ct26 turbo and the Ct20? As I understood in your post you only notice a slight difference between 4-6K? But is it somewhat unremarkable?

Thank you
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

st185l wrote:Wow, a great project. I've read it all in a few days, very interesting

Sorry to ask but as that is the first of the post, is it a Gen 3 engine or Gen 2 whit gen 3 inyectors and unlocked fuel pump?

Big differences between the modified ct26 turbo and the Ct20? As I understood in your post you only notice a slight difference between 4-6K? But is it somewhat unremarkable?

Thank you

Thanks

It should be quite obvious given the 100s of images that it's a gen3 engine. ;-)
Cam cover and oem catchcan and lack of an AFM are the biggest visual clues.

The hybrid performed just as well in the 1/4 mile really, maybe a little less terminal speeds overall. But I still did cut a 12.59 with the hybrid with a decent launch. Though I had better terminals with the 20b and in the end a faster time with slower launches, i do prefer the 20b as it had to me, better boost response for day to day. But not a lot in it overall.

Though the hybrid ct26 was large, it certainly isn't the biggest you can get, so from that you can see there are all manor of potential ct26 hybrid options which may or may not perform better than a 20b.

By unlocked fuel pump I'm assuming your referring to it running at 12v 24/7? I have never heard the term unlocked before.
But yes it does run at 12v only as the engine showed no signs of a fuel pump resistor or relay upon purchase nor could I see wiring for it when i rewired the engine harness.

Hth
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

No problems Jim more than happy to help, same goes for anyone locally that needs a bit of welding done, small bits my only charge is mr2 chats haha.

Looking forward to the results should be interesting.
st185l

Post by st185l »

Sorry, I'm still pretty new with these engines and I did not notice
(I entered because I was told that you were the only one who had done a conversion of Gen 3 fuel into Gen 2)

I do not want to change my Gen 2 but I would like to improve it and I had thought of Gen 3 injectors with original pump "fuel cut defender" or Gen 3 fuel pump

With "unlocked" I meant to remove the limitation, I think that you decide Fuel cut defend and that with it you get a little more pressure, which in turn, makes you spray better / more fuel and you can increase the boost of Turbo (since in gene 2 to 1 or 1.1 bar is insufficient without the fuel cut defend, as I have read)

Thank you!!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Not a huge amount to update.
Namely been waiting on lots of different parts and getting merry at various xmas do's!

MLS 3 layer T3 gasket
New studs (m10x1.25)
K nuts for the studs (£2 a pop, eeek)
Schnorr washers (serated washer basically)
Extended 1/2npt 19mm adapter so oil return pipe is away from hot turbo
19mm and 10mm high temp protective oil hosing
Torco assembly lube

Turbine wheel showed up, looks nice

Thought I'd make a start cleaning up the comp housing while misses was out this evening.
It had been a little beat up over the years and the harsh inlet edge I thought could do with being rounded out for a less disrupted flow.
I also heard of folk polishing the inlet to for super nice flow into the blades, so thought I'd give that a go, just the prep compound at the mo, but impressed already. Still the polish compound to go

Before

Work in progress, took a sand wheel to remove damage, harsh edge and scratches, then the prep compound on a dremel, pretty chuffed already

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nice!

Would be interested to know how difficult you find this process overall once complete.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Nice!

Would be interested to know how difficult you find this process overall once complete.

i may well scrub off the mitsi and numbering on the housing now as well.
though i dont want a polished external look, ill still be spraying it with some hammerite.

hardest part was removing the exhaust housing from the turbo.

is a pretty easy thing to tear down after that. though i will need to grind out a little of the CHRA to fit the new larger thrust washer.

in terms of fitting the actual turbo kit itself, i think itll be easier than the stock turbo IMO.
the stock turbo oil line is a PITA to install with engine in the car. downpipe is also a little annoying along with the oem turbo coolant pipe.

all of these are changed with this kit, so ill have an easier time for sure for install.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Before

Ground down and removed casting marks

Thought I'd match the ports on the adapter and turbine housing too while I had the carbide bits out.
Didn't feel gasket matching was worth the grief given the lovely smooth surface of the adapter.

Little more polishing
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

What ecu you going to run once you've got the TD06 on mate? What power you thinking of 350 ish?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Gee Man wrote:What ecu you going to run once you've got the TD06 on mate? What power you thinking of 350 ish?

i will carry on with the blitz ecu, raise the fuel pressure, zero out my SAFC2 settings and go from there.

330-350 will do me fine.
:thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

For now! That turbo will do 370 at a push in standard guise!

Return to “Member Profiles”