IMOC Trackday - Anglesey March 2006

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goto10

Re: IMOC Trackday - Anglesey March 2006

Post by Goto10 »

DoM wrote:I'll post some vids tonight once I've trawled through the footage!

If anyone wants me to check if I have some of their car, let me know - I had the cam running every lap.. Just with no sound :(

Dom

If you have any of mine it'd be appreciated :)
MartG

Post by MartG »

leewaring wrote:So whens the next one?? :whistle: \:D/ :eye:

I notice there are already 3 MR2s booked for Elvington on Saturday the 6th of May :whistle:
Adam_B

Post by Adam_B »

Goto10 wrote:
DoM wrote:I'll post some vids tonight once I've trawled through the footage!

If anyone wants me to check if I have some of their car, let me know - I had the cam running every lap.. Just with no sound :(

Dom

If you have any of mine it'd be appreciated :)

i think i might have one of that actully....2 mins
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

You're a star! Cheers :)
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

/\ this was wrexham on our way home.

:)
Last edited by philster_d on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

I don't think I was on the track much when you were, but if you had ny of my G reg White one :D

Would be great!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Thanx to everyone that came and made the weekend possible. I think Anna deserves most of the credit for doing such a top job over the accomodation and food etc..

Must admit was surprised just how good the uberbarge was on track.. brilliant balance and once i'd got the TDFs to boiling point it was oversteer on demand and very adjustable too. had an absolute hoot on track (adam's vid):
http://bookatrack.com/-PFadam20xe299424 ... o/x-ms-wmv

;)

Big thanx to all those that kindly let me drive/test their cars. Thanx to Paul (Axisofunity) for my first drive of a Rev1 NA. It was surprisingly challenging as it didn't have much transition (read that as not a lot of progression) from a neutral drift into full blown oversteer. I span it albeit slowly at Abbots. :oops: There was no doubt that there was a lot of weight behind you... think that car is pretty challenging to drive, though after a few laps i got the hang of it. It turned in well but the rear end became mobile very quickly.

Then there was Toni's tubby. I have to say was very, very impressed with that it totally made me re-think my mental view of tubbys. It handled so progressively, it really was great fun to just lap quickly in it. I even gooned it a little bit as it was actually pretty easy to hold. The whole car felt tight and all of a piece. I could put in a quick laptime in that.

I drove Simon Taylor's SC which he had complained was oversteering everywhere. I'm guessing there something seriously awry with the suspension setup as it oversteered scarily quickly, you only had to think about turning in and the rear end came out... it was positively scary. I would say in the wet it will just kill you. I have never seen a MK1 oversteer like that and it really wasn't good, i'm sure Si will get it sorted though.

Last but by no means least was Alan Head's 'Waltigolf' (basically a very non-standard MK2 golf gti). Its a stupid car but in a good way. ;) the rear is so stiff that you lift an inside rear very easily indeed, which means stupid amounts of oversteer. Had a right laugh in that (Si Cook passengered)... was practically hitting the lock stops out of Abbotts. ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Pitcher

Post by Pitcher »

MartG wrote:Nice little sequence of pics here - not sure who it was...... :roll:

That was me :oops:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Just got back after a few errands...

BIG, BIG thanks to all who organised the event. Top weekend =D>

Jo and I had a really good time on track each pushing the car further and faster each lap/session. Much goonage had.

I was also impressed the car car held up to it's own. I was worried after hearing beginings of wheelbearing noise on the way to Anglesey on Friday and then forgetting my oil filler cap off before setting off to the circuit on Sat.

Thanks to Luthor who pointed out the obvious cause of my over-steeryness. I will probably get it sorted when I'm tired of gooning around tracks :lol:

Bring on the next one 8)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
kanujunkie

Post by kanujunkie »

On behalf of all the ROCers there i'd like to pass on a BIG BIG thanx to Anna, Lauren and co for all the hard efforts that have made this a great weekend.

thank you all for makeing us interlopers feel at home, hope to see you all soon at future events

Stu
anna

Post by anna »

What a top weekend :)

Anglesey is such an ace circuit - have been there a few times now, but I still have so much work to do to get that elusive lap where everything goes right!
Our car was feeling much better - allowing WOT which it wouldn't let us last time due to pinking, and I managed to build up my confidence through Radar after a 'lift off oversteer, oh look there is the marshal's post tyre wall' incident last time (no, I didn't hit it, but it was closer than I would have liked!).

Really managed to nail the lines through school, so that school and abbots pretty much became one long corner :thumleft:

I think I managed to completely fail at scaring anyone though :( - no spins and not even any scary drifts. I think the hairyest moment was going into abbots with Jo in the car when I managed to wedge my foot between the throttle and brake pedals in a failed heel and toe attempt (i'm sure the green crates are 'part of the circuit', er, honest!).

Was really impressed by the mk3 turn out, with similar numbers of mk3's and mk1's. Again there was a smaller contingent of mk2's (where were you mk2 guys and gals? huh...)

Roll on the next one :)
philster_d

Post by philster_d »

hehe they must have been at home polishing their cars.
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

At least some of us have our priorities right :D
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

anna wrote:
Was really impressed by the mk3 turn out, with similar numbers of mk3's and mk1's. Again there was a smaller contingent of mk2's (where were you mk2 guys and gals? huh...)

There were rumours of diesel spillages through Radar which caused concern.

'tis very odd though, considering mk2's outnumber every other car on this website! They all talk the talk... ;)
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

What a great leveller this circuit is... power didn't really translate into good laptimes, and even with the least of the least powerful cars there, the humble Mk1 was able to do extremely well.

In all honesty, I was a little disappointed with the handling of the Mk3's. All the one's I followed were all over the place, where my Mk1 was glued. Possible gooning aside, they simply didn't 'go' the way I thought they would. Even the Elise didn't lap at the rate I was expecting for such a twisty track. On the flip side, the Caternails were lapping "exactly" as expected... 2 corners and "see ya" !!!

That 'teg was hilarious, got it on video squealing round Abbotts absolutely broadside lap after lap!

Oh, for all the anti-FWD ppl, check out the video's of Adam's Corsa... it was over-steering, understeering, spinning round one minute, then caning through School/Abbotts as fast as anything the next.. just worth a shout...!
DoM

Post by DoM »

Send me the vid luthor! :lol:

Your MK1 was going well.. I kept seeing it in the distance!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

anna wrote:I think I managed to completely fail at scaring anyone though :( - no spins and not even any scary drifts. I think the hairyest moment was going into abbots with Jo in the car when I managed to wedge my foot between the throttle and brake pedals in a failed heel and toe attempt (i'm sure the green crates are 'part of the circuit', er, honest!).

erm - I was a bit scared Anna! LOL I know how slippy that ol' green stuff is :roll:
Always top fun as passenger with you :twisted:

I really really enjoyed myself. I was a bit worried about driving Garricks car. I had'nt really driven it much at all, let alone at speed. I hoped i wouldn't crash, and didn't even spin in the end.
Well i needen't have worried, as i got used to it very quickly and was driving it like my own within a few laps.
We both pushed it to the edge of the tyre and suspension set-up, with much fun goonage to be had :mrgreen:
I was happy that i finally got a consistent fast line through school, but my best improvement was gained out of the hillrise complex after hairpin - got a good fast speed through there, which wasmuch better than at the start of the day.

BTW the accomm was superb, and I had a really good time meeting everyone \:D/ \:D/
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Gersen (my guest+1) is the man with the vids/piccies... he is going through them at the moment.. We have discussed it already, and will be sending on and posting all the cars we have!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:Gersen (my guest+1) is the man with the vids/piccies... he is going through them at the moment.. We have discussed it already, and will be sending on and posting all the cars we have!

Just out of interest did you have an in-car camera?

Would be really interested in any footage of when you were following the uberbarge.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”