Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: Rev4 Turbo *mini photoshoot*

Post by jimGTS »

little update, finally ordered some parts,

20g superback Billet 7+7 blade.
GTX style performance upgade.
extended tip and also slightly taller wheel which will be a straight drop in.

the 7+7 extended tip offers a bit more power (10-15% more flow) and better spool than the cast wheel. so is a win win.
the 11 blade is more readily available and better spool, but i thought more top end on a lower boost level would be more beneficial to me.

uprated rebuild kit.
this includes wider spacers to help thrust load with a bigger surface area on the thruster bearing.
the thrust bearing itself is now a 2 oil port design for additional lubrication

turbine wheel, only option i had was a stock turbine wheel. i fiddled around with the bearing on the shaft in the worn area and i could feel movement, whereas on the untouched portion of the shaft, i couldnt get any play with the bearing. so i imagine this is why the turbo has shaft play.

i believe this issue is down to poor oiling and/or low pressure, high heat.

so new one needed

i also looked into the oil drainage system. the -10an kit supplied although pretty, had a number of very small drain areas at the in, out and all the fittings (12mm ID). -10an hose itself was 14mm ID.
(turbo drain is 15/16mm on the CHRA and its recommended to keep to this).

The previous oil drain system may have been the same, but i wasnt supplied with the old one so dont know.
small drainage can potentially cause oil backup in the housing causing it to leak at the turbine side, causing it to smoke when at high pressure, ie full load or cold starts.
the CHRA was caked in oil in this area, so ive since cleaned this up and looked into a larger drain kit.

ive decided to go big. so ive got hold of a 1/2npt adapter which will mate to a 19mm return line, hooking to the oem drain fitting at the block (16mm ID).
this should mean a minimum of 15/16mm all the way through even the connection points.

OEM block fitting vs -10an!
12mm vs 16mm ID

new 1/2npt fitting VS -10an fitting at the turbo.

androo007

Post by androo007 »

Ah man this turbo is gonna kick ASS
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good effort...looking forwards to seeing how much difference these mods make :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Hopefully does me well.

I can only go off info and results I've read but looking forward to it.

I'll obviously have no comparison to the cast wheel, but no point in trying both out as I have no way to log the difference really.

I was tempted with a new comp housing with a 3inch inlet, but seemed a little OTT really, would have been a smoother air path as no bolt holes, but can't imagine I'd have seen any noticeable benefits aside from a lighter wallet so didn't bother.

Maybe later down the line.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Having spent a while driving it now- what is your honest opinion on the clutch you chose? Mine needs a refresh (TS series) and I'm weighing up replacing it outright with an R2 instead, but I really don't want something that's too much hard work! Keen to hear your thoughts...bearing in mind mine is not (primarily!) a drag race car :eye:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ashley wrote:Having spent a while driving it now- what is your honest opinion on the clutch you chose? Mine needs a refresh (TS series) and I'm weighing up replacing it outright with an R2 instead, but I really don't want something that's too much hard work! Keen to hear your thoughts...bearing in mind mine is not (primarily!) a drag race car :eye:

day to day, in traffic, maybe a small struggle, but for a weekend car, is perfect.
the gears do engage very strong which was an immediate difference i noticed over my previous clutch. it does almost bang into gear. you may or may not like this feeling, its a trade off really for a super strong meaty clutch that bites super hard.

though strangely it was also a lighter pedal feel than my previous clutch which i wasnt expecting.

smaller biting point area, but not bad in the slightest.

i certainly like it, and its given me no issues what so ever.
:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Cheers- sounds very similar to my current clutch...appreciate the input :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Interesting, I'm wondering how good the kinugawa stuff is, as I keep looking at this http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinug ... g-1-1.aspx

And wondering how much spool I'd loose over my tiny billet TD05-16g
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

mighty impressive turn around time from MambaTek in Taiwan

ordered friday, attempted delivery yesterday, in my hands today!!

:shock: :shock:

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Surprised it's come that quickly from Taiwan, do they have a European distribution centre?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

not sure with other items, but this certainly did

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

jimGTS wrote:mighty impressive turn around time from MambaTek in Taiwan

ordered friday, attempted delivery yesterday, in my hands today!!

:shock: :shock:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... G_5970.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... G_5971.jpg

looks good, mine was delivered to my house today too.. I'm looking forward to getting home on friday to have a proper look at it
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Mmmm, run into a bit of an issue.
Although it isn't my new turbine wheel, I tried fitting the new comp wheel.
Though the comp wheel is advertised as 6.5mm bore, doesn't appear to be 6.5mm like the old wheel. More like 6mm.

I don't have a vernier gauge but it basically doesn't slide on. :-/ it goes past the thread, but then stops where the next step up in width is.

Taller and extended tip

Fits over thread, but doesn't fit over the next step up a few mm away as tiny as the step up is :-/

Not entirely sure what to do, as I can only assume my new turbine wheel will also be 6.5mm bore, so will have the same issue. :-/
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I'm sure someone on here might be able to machine out for you? Odd it wouldn't fit...m
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

it's probably designed as a shrink fit.. i.e the wheel has to be warmed up to go on the shaft, it's pretty common practice
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Common practice with what turbos?

None of the guides I've read and seen videos of mention it.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Ok this morning I gave this another go, and with a bit of force it will go over.
It is not an easy fit like the old wheel, but i think I am good to go and likely worrying over nothing.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you want to heat it up to make it a bit easier, have a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVODJm0 ... hannel=AvE

AvE's way with words cracks me up sometimes.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

jimGTS wrote:Common practice with what turbos?

None of the guides I've read and seen videos of mention it.

Common practice in fitting anything to a shaft, there's a video somewhere (I can't find it now, I did have a quick look) of a turbo rebuild place using a heat gun to warm up the wheel then pushing it the last bit on, alas, you've got it on now so all is well :thumleft: as with most things in life tight is better than slack, especially as Ali has a much higher coefficient of linear expansion than the steel shaft it's fitted on, so it'll loosen off at running temp.

@gazzaDJ - I love AvE! One of my favourite YouTube channels, a true hidden(ish) gem
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Perhaps I'll wrap it up and stick it on the home radiator instead.

Least I know it'll go on now, i got it on like 10-20mm just twisting and pushing it before I didn't want to go any further in fear of not being able to get it back off, I'm sure some heat may well pop it on all the way when I get round to rebuilding the whole lot.

Return to “Member Profiles”