Porsche Boxster drivers - bigger knobs than Beemer drivers?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

wham

Re: Porsche Boxster drivers - bigger knobs than Beemer drivers?

Post by wham »

thats what made me like it so much lol
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Well what id like to know is,when Aidy says he knows more about mr2's than 99% of people on here,why doesnt he help by posting in the mechanical section?

Also,Lauren,why persist in using these abbreviations,it makes a difficult read when the continuity is forever on pause while i try to make sense of what your trying to say?

Lastly,if you take the Mini for example,its design is probably 50 years old by now,yet it has continually been modified,albeit by the manufacturer/s
into a car that is still recognised yet bears little mechanical similarity to its original design.
From the standard 998 engines through the cooper-s to the supercharged and turbo versions,the design stands the test of time.
My point being,a good design will stand the test of time if continually evolving to take account of new technologies and materials.
In the mini's case this primarily has been funded by BL then Rover group
latterly by BMW,the MR2 is slightly less fortunate in that their is no continual evolution funded by Toyota,this is funded by individuals such as the members on this site and MR2 enthusiasts worldwide.
The MR2 sitting on my drive bears little relation to the rev1
tubby (circa 1991)it was once,in effect its a hybrid,like many top Marques are,its a much better car for it,and one that can live with some of the best performance cars in production now.
That the arguements rage back and forth comparing the MR2 to many of todays current production cars,is initself testament to the brilliant design and capeability of a 15 to 20 year old idea.
(When referring to the MR2 i mean the mark 2)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Greddy-Matt wrote:It wasn't so much the outright speed as the lack of effort it seemed to need to do it! :D

You got it. :thumleft: That's what I keep trying to get across when people talk about Porsches - it's hard to convey unless you've had it happen to you. :mrgreen:
T
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

I know I'm going to get a kicking for this (and rightfully so :eye: ) but it felt more grown up than the MR2. I don't think I could drive one with any gusto tho, I felt very aware it was an expensive car and would be hideously wallet crippling if it got scuffed!

On a seperate note the Porsche Splined Wheel locking nut keys are rubbish I watched a guy at the local carwash trying to change a flat and quite happily rounding off his nuts with with much swearing and enthusiastic waving of arms! :D
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

tonigmr2 wrote:
Greddy-Matt wrote:It wasn't so much the outright speed as the lack of effort it seemed to need to do it! :D

You got it. :thumleft: That's what I keep trying to get across when people talk about Porsches - it's hard to convey unless you've had it happen to you. :mrgreen:
T

Yes, funnily enough we ALL understand that... drifting with effortless poise with fingertips on the edge of the wheel in perfect harmony and control, lack of effort etc.

We get it. We don't necessarily all like that feeling. To me it's bland and characterless.

It feels like you think that "...if I could only make them all see...." when actually we don't all like the same things and we see your point just fine :)
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

planted1 wrote:Well what id like to know is,when Aidy says he knows more about mr2's than 99% of people on here,why doesnt he help by posting in the mechanical section?

Also,Lauren,why persist in using these abbreviations,it makes a difficult read when the continuity is forever on pause while i try to make sense of what your trying to say?

Lastly,if you take the Mini for example,its design is probably 50 years old by now,yet it has continually been modified,albeit by the manufacturer/s
into a car that is still recognised yet bears little mechanical similarity to its original design.
From the standard 998 engines through the cooper-s to the supercharged and turbo versions,the design stands the test of time.
My point being,a good design will stand the test of time if continually evolving to take account of new technologies and materials.
In the mini's case this primarily has been funded by BL then Rover group
latterly by BMW,the MR2 is slightly less fortunate in that their is no continual evolution funded by Toyota,this is funded by individuals such as the members on this site and MR2 enthusiasts worldwide.
The MR2 sitting on my drive bears little relation to the rev1
tubby (circa 1991)it was once,in effect its a hybrid,like many top Marques are,its a much better car for it,and one that can live with some of the best performance cars in production now.
That the arguements rage back and forth comparing the MR2 to many of todays current production cars,is initself testament to the brilliant design and capeability of a 15 to 20 year old idea.
(When referring to the MR2 i mean the mark 2)

Agreed with your first 2 paragraphs :thumleft: ....all went a bit pear-shaped after that. I believe the Mk3 MR2 roadster probably has more in common with the Mk2 than the BMW Mini has with the 'classic' Mini. That's no 'evolution' that's a completely new car. I kinda understand what you're getting at but that was a really bad example. In my opinion.
planted1

Post by planted1 »

For a minute there Geoff i was waiting for the "must try harder"report card from school :lol:

The BMW mini is a different beast,under the same name,
and im sure i pointed out that it bears little mechanical similarity to its predecessors.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

luthor1 wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:

T

Yes, funnily enough we ALL understand that... drifting with effortless poise with fingertips on the edge of the wheel in perfect harmony and control, lack of effort etc.

We get it. We don't necessarily all like that feeling. To me it's bland and characterless.

It feels like you think that "...if I could only make them all see...." when actually we don't all like the same things and we see your point just fine :)

No I don't think you do actually. :-k Bland and characterless is not he same as sublime and effortless.

T
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

tonigmr2 wrote:
No I don't think you do actually. :-k Bland and characterless is not he same as sublime and effortless.

T

Andy did say that it was "to him" that it felt bland and characterless.

I can understand where Andy is coming from too - there can be a fine line between sublime and effortless and bland and characterless and it will depend on what you as an individual want out of car.

Also depends on whether you want the best there is or a bit of a challenge - I always like being the underdog - no poin tin having a go if you guaranteed to be better etc.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well if you want a 'challenging' car that not as good but is somehow 'more rewarding' because of that, then it's horses for courses. :D

I do wish to put it at rest however, it's clear some people will never see eye to eye on it. When I get my 911 I promise not to go on about it. :mrgreen:

T
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

911!!!!!

You fag!

Money is better spent on Italian Or British! :)

Porches are bland in general! just like ALL german cars, (yes thats right i didnt spell it with a capital G, its not important enough for me to spell it with a capital G)

Nick
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

I'll not be straying from BMW and if I do, it's only to Porsche!

Still got the '2 to keep my head from being in the clouds.
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

shibby! wrote:911!!!!!

You fag!

Porches are bland in general! just like ALL german cars, (yes thats right i didnt spell it with a capital G, its not important enough for me to spell it with a capital G)

Nick

You need to go in some then. I went for a ride round the ring in a 996 GT3RS and it was anything but bland. Mindblowing would have been more apt, it totally changed my view about what was possible in a road legal car on a track.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

I have done! :)

Thought the other cars provided more entertainment, more from the occasion it was to drive or be in the car.

In general im talking more about the styling, and the colour combo's and the character, the sense of occasion of driving a supercar. Thats whats bland.

GT3RS is a little different from a normal 911 though :)

No doubt its a good car, but something from Italy or UK would take my hard earned money.

Nick
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

You fag!

Nick

Better to spend money on a more unreliable, slower and poorer handling car, is that what you are saying? :mrgreen:

Can women even be fags? :-k
T
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

tonigmr2 wrote:

You fag!

Nick

Better to spend money on a more unreliable, slower and poorer handling car, is that what you are saying? :mrgreen:

Can women even be fags? :-k
T

Less reliable...... probably.

Slower and poorer handling nope! :)

Each to their own! i just dont like German cars! too bland, and every broke ass, mofo has one trying to a playa!

I dont see why they cant be....... :)

Nick
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

shibby! wrote:I have done! :)

Thought the other cars provided more entertainment, more from the occasion it was to drive or be in the car.

In general im talking more about the styling, and the colour combo's and the character, the sense of occasion of driving a supercar. Thats whats bland.

GT3RS is a little different from a normal 911 though :)

No doubt its a good car, but something from Italy or UK would take my hard earned money.

Nick

A GT3RS is a bit more than 'a good car'!!! If that is your point of view then i honestly don't believe you have been in these cars.

I certainly think it has a sense of occasion. Seeing as the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up as soon we got onto the circuit and hit the 8500rpm redline.

I really couldn't disagree more. I've been in an F355 around Spa. Yes it was nice, but did it compare to the GT3RS? Not even close.

Would you call an E30 M3 bland then?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

E30 is not!

Being the 1st in line, and a what is considered to be a classic it is not. But then its not the modern German car, which maybe i should have been more clear with.

GT3RS i have not been in,

However, i have been in my fair share of 911's and 911 turbo's. I would rather the money went on something else, that is if i was buying one.

Besides the GT3RS is a little out of the 355 league being that the GT3RS is newer its also a track car for the road. Whereas the 355 is not! The 355 was the entry level Ferarri was it not. The GT3RS is hardly entry level.

If you want to compare the GT3RS to a similar Italian track car, then try the track Ferarri 430. Yes the one that is supposed to be as fast round a track as the Enzo :)

Clearly we are not talking about buying the GT3RS though.......... Are we?

Nick
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

tonigmr2 wrote:Well if you want a 'challenging' car that not as good but is somehow 'more rewarding' because of that, then it's horses for courses. :D

I do wish to put it at rest however, it's clear some people will never see eye to eye on it. When I get my 911 I promise not to go on about it. :mrgreen:

T

Whats to aspire to? Whats to compare yourself to? If you top dog the only way to go is down. I'd rather have a car I have to work to get the best out of it and to compete with another car. Pitching my MK1 against a 03 plate (or whatever it was) BMW M3 down the backroads near my house and having him struggle to keep up is a much better feeling than doing it in a Porsche whereby you have an advantage.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Tiamat wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:Well if you want a 'challenging' car that not as good but is somehow 'more rewarding' because of that, then it's horses for courses. :D

T

Whats to aspire to? Whats to compare yourself to? If you top dog the only way to go is down. I'd rather have a car I have to work to get the best out of it and to compete with another car. Pitching my MK1 against a 03 plate (or whatever it was) BMW M3 down the backroads near my house and having him struggle to keep up is a much better feeling than doing it in a Porsche whereby you have an advantage.

You are making the luthor1 comparison there, LOL. Because you could beat one then automatically your car is better in some way? Or just as good perhaps?? Or perhaps more rewarding because it isn't as good but you still managed to keep up?

None are great reasons to prefer a poorer car over a better one though really are they? I'd suggest that if I were in the M3 or a Porsche or any supercar in that situation, I'd still be thinking I want the car I'm in rather than the one that was 'beating' me. But then I am not competitive on the road like that. :eye:
T

Return to “Driving Experiences”