TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Post by jimGTS »

makes sense.

i may try the blocked off a/c idle up port for now for the extra injector.

1/8npt is handy to use (KO racing pipe, so npt), but had plans for the iscv for this.

mmmm
2mad

Post by 2mad »

ashley wrote:I think the whole theory is achieving phase change of the water/ meth as the air is compressed across the blades of the compressor wheel...which is why you need to inject it before the compressor wheel. Spraying post wheel will be the same (I think) as spraying in the hot pipe pre-intercooler, and not achieve the change in efficiency of the compressor wheel.

Spraying before the turbo a light mist and going for it after the intercooler was my plan with a st205 charcooler so the water would not pool was my plan ........ very interesting thread :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:I think the whole theory is achieving phase change of the water/ meth as the air is compressed across the blades of the compressor wheel...which is why you need to inject it before the compressor wheel. Spraying post wheel will be the same (I think) as spraying in the hot pipe pre-intercooler, and not achieve the change in efficiency of the compressor wheel.

that's right.. the aim of the game is the heat of compression is absorbed by the mixture as it happens.

(genuine apologies for being a massively pedantic ass) but the air doesn't actually get compressed by the compressor wheel, it's a bit of a misleading name really, it's an impeller for a pump, not a compressor. all the compressor wheel is there for is to impart kinetic energy upon the fluid (air is a fluid remember..) the increase in pressure happens as the air enters the volute (bernoulli's - as the fluid speed drops when the air enters the volute casing the pressure must increase. first law of thermodynamics - energy cannot be created or destroyed only transformed from one form to another, the kinetic energy being transformed into pressure energy)

anyway, this got delivered today

and was thoroughly tested tonight and it's all good :D

got some proper miles on the new tyres too, I'm mega impressed, the grip level is insane when they've got a bit of heat in them, it really wants some better rubber on the front to match really

unfortunately, removal of the old tyres and fitting the new ones has broken the seal on one of the wheels ](*,) it was noticeably low when I opened the garage and when I put the inflator on it the gauge read about 15psi, so had lost a fair bit of pressure in a day and a half. I did a check with a squirty bottle with some light soapy water in and there's a couple of place which were bubbling up between the centre and the barrel so the tyre is going to have to come off and the wheel will need to be split down and resealed. brilliant!

I was speaking to the mrs last night over a bottle of wine and she was saying I'm stupid for trying to sell it and that I should just put it away for the winter and "save up for that forged thing you said you need" :lol:

so I've put it back in the garage, the back end is up on axle stands so the tyre doesn't get damaged and I'll come back to it when I've got time, I'm going back to work on sunday and unfortunately I've got more pressing issues at the minute in 'real' life

so there it is...

EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
C35Rob

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - Track Tyres

Post by C35Rob »

msglngth
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sold or decided to keep it?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:Sold or decided to keep it?

I think I'm going to keep it for now, it'd probably going to stay under the cover until I find the motivation to split and rebuild the leaking wheel though!
craig

Post by craig »

Damn it rob, you've now got me tempted with a bomex drift wing! :roll:

It looks great on your car, and think it would fit in really well on mine with the border kit.

Glad you're keeping the car. :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

craig wrote:

Ditto :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

2mad wrote:
craig wrote:

Ditto :thumleft:

for now, at least... :lol:

pretty much resigned myself to leaving it under the cover until the spring now (probably) as I've got little interest in it at the minute.

anyway, I took the IC cold pipe into work to have a threaded boss welded in for the post IC W/M nozzle, I'm far too busy at work to even contemplate doing it myself unfortunately so I left the pipe, boss, a packet of jaffa cakes and 6 doughnuts with the foreman of the welding workshop and 3 days later I picked this up

I'm absolutely amazed at how well the reflect-a-gold has held up to the heat of welding, I expected a fair bit of it to be damaged but it's all pretty much perfect \:D/

the only other thing I've done is change the air filter, when I removed the cold pipe there was a bit (a tiny bit) of dust on the walls of the pipe, I think I may have initially been sold a fake K&N filter, so just to err on the side of caution I decided to replace it with one from a reputable supplier (Demon Tweeks)

however, I was away at work and guessed when I ordered it, and as with many things in life what in my mind was about 12" turned out to be about 9", so my new filter is massive

the same size as this:

which means it literally only just fits between the inner 1/4 panel and the bracket that holds it in place, which in turn means there isn't enough space
to run the W/M hose through the end of the filter so I've just removed the hose and nozzle for now, I'll probably get a small grommet and run it through the underside of the ally hose joiner where the IAT sensor is.

other than that, I've got a couple of ideas of things I want to to to it over the winter, mainly just sorting snags out so don't expect anything exciting to happen!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

One step forward, three back, as seems to be standard for this thing.

On Friday night when I got home from work I refitted the top intercooler hose, connected the water line to it and dropped in a new set of BKR7e plugs to replace the grade 8's that were in there, as I think they were a little cold and fouling up.

So Saturday morning I took the car out, went for a hair cut, dropped in to see a mate at his mates garage while they were loading cars onto trailers to go racing and playing about on his YZ250, then I went home for lunch etc.

Decided at 5ish that it'd be a good idea to take the car out again for a blast along some nice B roads, all was going swimmingly, car was driving great, until about 35 miles from home I had to take evasive action to avoid a car coming the other way.

Passenger side of the car dropped off the road with a loud thud, my heart sank :pale:

Long story short is:

Outer lip on NSF wheel bent, won't hold air (well it'll inflate to about 10psi before you can feel air honking out of the join)

NSF damper blown, not confirmed 100% but it's about an inch lower than the drivers side

Rear wheel deflated over about 10 mins, new tyre dead as I had to drive it to the closest A road where I could get help. Not sure why it's deflated, cracked rim maybe? I haven't checked yet.

Luckily no body damage etc.

Only had 1% battery on my phone (serious) but managed to tell my Mrs what road I was on and to bring tools before it died. she wasn't happy!

Anyway, I limped it home on a space saver. The very least of it is a new damper body (thankfully only £110 from driftworks) a new wheel lip and a tyre. There may be other damage but I can't even face looking at the moment

Could have been a lot worse, I'm alive, I didn't hit a car/person/kitten, I still have a daily driver etc but I'm a bit gutted, the car is back under a cover in the garage, I've got no motivation to even look at it. Not sure where we go from here whether it's repair it, cut my losses and get rid of it how it is or even break it for parts - I really don't know.

:-k :cry:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Glad you're ok mate.

Don't rush into anything. As least you didn't hit anything and the items can be replaced, the worst bit are the wheels! Hope they can be repaired!
craig

Post by craig »

Gee Man wrote:Glad you're ok mate.

Don't rush into anything. As least you didn't hit anything and the items can be replaced, the worst bit are the wheels! Hope they can be repaired!

Word for word, ^this.

Glad you're ok mate. Don't rush into any decision until you've had time to think.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Feeling for you but it could have been a lot worse, Glad you're ok though :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Aww mate all your hard work , feel so sorry for you .. but chin up , im sure you'll bounce back with a car better than ever :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Cheers for the support guys, appreciate it.

So,

After a few glasses of merlot last night to drown my sorrows and a bit of family time today I've just had to go and stick my tools and the rear wheel back in the garage out of my Mrs' car.

The rear wheel isn't cracked at all, the outer lip is ever so slightly flat spotted which must be what's allowed the air out, that'll straighten out with a BFH and a wood block. I put an air line on it and the wheel actually held 30psi momentarily before the tyre exploded at the side wall :lol:

I've had a few smacks at the front lip with a wood block and a hammer and I'm sure that'll straighten too, but will need warming up (not annealing, just warming)

Whichever way you cut it it's a full wheel refurb anyway.

Haven't looked at anything else yet, that'll wait for another time.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Sound like your not so dismayed now ... get the wheels straight ... tackle the other damage i know you have the skill .. and think your self lucky .. blowout at speed and you did not spin or barrel role in to a tree .. i would be happy it could have gone so much worse ... bloody inconsiderate road hogs :evil: not what you want coming at you on a b rode =;

Kev.
Last edited by 2mad on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Cheers mate, it is what it is - it's only metal and plastic , can't cry over it for too long, can't really blame the other guy too much either, if I'd been doing 30 then I could have came to a complete stop, so I'm equally to blame.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

C35Rob wrote:Cheers mate, it is what it is - it's only metal and plastic , can't cry over it for too long, can't really blame the other guy too much either, if I'd been doing 30 then I could have came to a complete stop, so I'm equally to blame.

Sounds like your in a good place now :thumleft: .. youll be up a running in no time :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Ouch! Still- sounds like you got away lightly...glad you didn't tank a tree of sommit :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Thats gutting mate but main thing is you're ok first and foremost!

Probably best biting the bullet and just get the parts you need repaired back to good again because regardless whether you keep the car, sell it or break it, it will be worth more fixed up.

Return to “Member Profiles”