Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GeorgeL

Re: Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by GeorgeL »

mark239 wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
mark239 wrote:Looks like a great achievement there! Hopefully some day I'll get my borg warner turbo'd car to this!

The Granada mentioned belongs to a friend. Totally home built and he drives it from here in NI over to events then drives it home!

He was suffering from gearbox problems, couldn't get it to take gears (Is in bits at the moment), so just really went for the top speed as far as I know! If you search youtube youll see some videos he has done of hill climbs in it over here, looks to be epic fun. I certainly wouldn't do it!

Yeah Stevie's Granada is a weapon! I spoke go him a few years back before I had my licence. I never thought I'd be taking part alongside him to tell the truth. I think I got lucky that his gearbox was playing up. As always it was great to watch him Run when he was on it :)

Haha hill climbs? What a champion! I remember watching him do the handling circuit at Totb a few years back and hats off to him... He was going for it! He's a nice lad aswell which makes it all the better too.

Hopefully next year both cars will be running 100% and we can get some videos side by side. The Granada in all honesty was like my hero car in my late teens. It still had the 2.8 badge on it then haha!!

http://youtu.be/Kpd75PlPyGg

Effort :thumleft:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

mark239 wrote:This one looks madder!!
http://youtu.be/mT_lhgCoAZI

Yeah that second to last was awesome! It's just an awesome bit of kit.. Love it!
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Any updates on plans for next year? :thumleft:
No 2 :(
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

MR2 Rich wrote:Any updates on plans for next year? :thumleft:

I'll get a little update going on Sunday mate :)

You fancy a jaunt up to Simons tomorrow? I'm
Going down and Tom and Garry are coming up too.. Potential cake and coffee day :thumleft:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Well its been a while since i put an update on here about what ive been doing with the car and what i will be doing...

TOTB

At TOTB i didnt realise that they gave out a trophy for the best 60ft time in each class on the 1/4m. I remember when the trophies were being given out I was really pleased that i had only been 0.040 off of the best RWD 60ft time (1.700)

Turns out that there had been an error with the timing and that was actually done on a false start. I got an email from straight-liners saying that there had been a mistake and so they were now sending me the trophy they hadnt awarded me on the day for the best RWD 60ft time.

Looking at it now i can remember the run i got the 1.740 60ft time on and i changed into 3rd a smidge too early costing myself a bit. I ran an 11.41 on that...
Rule of thumb being that every 0.1 of a sec at the 60ft is 0.2 at the end of the 1/4.
My best time of the day 11.22 had a 1.860 (if i remember correctly) so in theory it COULD have been the 10.xx i had went for.
None the less i have no right to complain about it... what is for us will not go past us right :)

So the trophy arrived about a month a go:

Father and Son antics

Since then my Dad and I managed to get some time both at home and decided to take the cars out for a Father vs. Son Sunday morning blast...
(circa 1400-1500hp)

R32 GTR vs MR2
2.7 vs 2.1
T51 KaiBB vs GTX35

Due to the recent issues he had been having with his fuel system he opted to go for his middle boost setting though of 1.5bar (2bar being high) and I cleverly went for flat out 2.1Bar (no race fuel or Nos)

We lasted literally 10minutes and both decided enough was enough and that it was just stupid to keep it up. (pulling 140+ side by side in a blink of an eye)

The cars were very evenly matched which was good fun. The initial pull and gearchanges being the only difference around the roads we were on but it was just silly the speeds being pulled. (I know had he been on 2bar he would have been pulling on me no problem with how my car is just now thats for sure)

Managed to take this potato spec picture whilst following him:

It was a brilliant buzz though to be fair. It was the first close matched "spirited drive" either of us have had against a car. Its usually motorbikes that we end up having some fun with.

Some others of the R32 (his plate is off it as he had toyed with putting it onto his bike but changed his mind):

Trip to YVS

Then just the other Saturday i took a trip down to YVS with the car to see Simon, Liz and some of the other guys who go to there with their cars.

Leaving early in the morning and waking up the neighbours as i left :thumleft: good enough for them! :lol:

I took down my vital car trip supplies and as always i was accompanied by a bottle of Jack should the worst happen ill have a trusting friend to lean on :lol:

It was very much a Cake and Tea/coffee (irn bru for me) excercise haha.
As always was good to catch up with them all and have a p1$$ about chatting nonsense. (I even got the car a little oil and filter change when i was there)

I stayed the night at my friends in sheffield and then came home on the sunday evening after dinner.

I met this lovely 355 on my travels on the M1 (i think it was the M1 or A1(m) or something)

I was just cruising at 60ish and he came up my side and then ripped past me. That was as good an invite as any...

Probably wish he hadnt bothered though :wink:

That being said, it was a lovely car, sounded awesome... really awesome!

Genuine Tom's Body parts

In my quest to get some Genuine Tom's Side skirts and winglets along with a Genuine Tom's rear bumper, i have managed to score.

Those will go on at a later date and ill remove the Replicas on the car just now and sell them. However, i dont know if ill wait until im building the shell to use the genuine ones.

Plans for the MR2

Who knows....

The plans over winter for the MR2 are still undecided. I had planned to strip the other shell - which ill start a build thread on - back to bare metal and then modify and paint it to suit what i want. Whilst doing this I was going to continue with my current build and then drop it into the shell for next summer. However, being realistic I think im going to keep using this shell for now and use it as a development car, then transfer into it after next summer or maybe over the winter (2015).

The actual engine build is going to change yet again. I have 90% decided on the fuel system set up i want to do and also the injectors i want to use.

Still undecided on what to do Turbo/manifold/wastegate/exhaust wise though...

I am even tempted to build a complete new unit from scratch to put into the new shell and just use this car as it is for the road. I've just got to throw numbers around as that would mean not getting myself a motorbike for next summer :(

I have a permanent headache just now with it all :lol:

Anyways... not a great deal happening with it. Its now off the road for this year. I had planned to do racewars with it at the beginning of october but ive opted against it for this year.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Update:

The full turbo kit and some fuelling components are going to be removed in a few weeks to go to their new home.

I've decided on my next turbo but struggling to find a manifold that will definitely suit it and my needs.

I also need to find somewhere that will make a fuel rail for me to the spec I want.

If anyone knows a good fabrication shop that could make manifold and a fuel rail of top standard let me know please and I'll be much appreciative :thumleft:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

J-1

Post by J-1 »

RacerX Fabrication have a good reputation and do custom fabrication, including fuel rails 8)
ashley

Post by ashley »

+1 talk to Jeff- if you do get him to do you a fuel rail let me know, we could combine orders and save some international postal costs :wink:

He also makes ex manis to whatever spec you want...expensive though!

What turbo...or is it a big secret?
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Good idea mate.

I could well be interested in ordering a few things and splitting the shipping costs as well.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GeorgeL wrote:
I've decided on my next turbo

Share? :-k
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

I'll speak to Jeff and see what he says. I'm calling full-race in a minute to see if they can modify their twin scroll one to suit me.

Cheers for the shout though. I'll be seeing if he can do te rail though and should anything come about I'll definitely be happy to spilt shipping etc with you guys... Not an issue at all :)

I'll spill on turbo once it's all set in stone :wink:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Spoke to Jeff lads, spot on dude! Really nice guy indeed... Thanks for the recommendation. He is going to make me a fuel rail to suit my needs. That's one less thing to worry about.

I am currently trying to work out which turbo I'm going for as I have slightly changed my mind. He is sure he can make me something up to suit. However, the material he uses is not as thick as I'd like so we are going to have to sort something out.

Fullrace wouldn't entertain making a custom manifold for me even after I provided drawings which really pi$$ed me off.

So the only thing holding things up is what turbo to go for.... ](*,)
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

ashley

Post by ashley »

Would be curious to know what fuel rail he's doing for you, close to getting him to do me one too? ID2000's?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Hope you and the car are good mate? Be good to see it next year and hopefully see Simon's out next year as well?

Any updates on the car, George? :thumleft:
No 2 :(
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Finally got round to reading this thread fully. Awesome car dude, didn't quite realise how epic this car was when you picked up the skirts!

Huge congrats on the TOTB win aswell :thumleft:

Looking forward to seeing whats in store
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

MR2 Rich wrote:Hope you and the car are good mate? Be good to see it next year and hopefully see Simon's out next year as well?

Any updates on the car, George? :thumleft:

Hi Rich, yeah we are both fine. The car is in bits again lol! Not really sure what's happening with it if I'm honest. Owen Developments were p1$$ing me about and now are telling me it will be April/may before I'd be able to get the turbo I want so between that and something else catching my eye I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what I'm going to do.

How are you doing mate? How's life down south south?

wikiz wrote:Finally got round to reading this thread fully. Awesome car dude, didn't quite realise how epic this car was when you picked up the skirts!

Huge congrats on the TOTB win aswell :thumleft:

Looking forward to seeing whats in store

Haha thanks mate :)

Was good to meet you and see such a clean unmolested car like yours aswell.
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Well I'm glad to be able to say that ive finally ordered the new turbo of choice and some of the other bits and bobs I'll need to accompany it. :D

Hopefully have them within the next 6 weeks

Just need to get my fuel system components ordered next and then it's game on. I absolutely cannot wait to get some seat time in it again.. I feel like I barely ever drive the car lol
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

ashley

Post by ashley »

Did you go for the larger housing in the end?
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Yeah mate :lol:

My thought process was:

"Fck it, go big or go home"

However, that may be a really bad thought process lol
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

ashley

Post by ashley »

:lol: :lol:

This is gonna be a monster!

Return to “Member Profiles”