The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Decision made: It's going..

It's basically at a point where if I go any further with it I'm pretty much committed long term. It starts to become serious, which it was never intended to be. Add to that the fact that since I first starting trying to buy it (back in January, would you believe!) I've driven it a total of 4 times. Yes, I wanted something I could work on, but in reality it's been one long waiting game and a chunk of disappointment, with brief moments of fun occassionally thrown in.

I have my eye on another MR2, as well as a few alternative options. In the meantime, if anyone needs any bits...
craig

Post by craig »

Shame Phil, given the work done on it so far! :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It sure is :(

We needed to get to this point to be sure we'd given it a good go. There's the risk of going further and regretting it, which I've done in the past.

I'll be putting a breaker thread up for it later today. Time to focus on what comes next.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

That's a shame but looking at this sensibly you are doing the right thing by calling it a day, what's next ?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Definitely a shame, but I'm 100% confident it's the right approach. I've analysed the options, a lot and come to this outcome every time now.

Going forward there's quite a few options, with several of them are MR2s. One in particular really appeals and would make an amazing long term project. Especially if I fused it with what I already have going spare in the Rev 2. I'll not say too much though as nothing really been discussed properly.

How's Mule II doing?
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Sad times :(

If you happen to make a list of parts available with prices let me know just to see if anything tickles me :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've yet to do the full ad, but the some of the more special parts include:

* HKS SMIC, inc shroud etc (never see these up for sale)
* Rogue Revision 6 exhaust (I've never seen another one of those!)
* Tein Superflex Coilovers
* Forged Rev 2 engine running Rev 3 ECU, injectors, loom etc (possibly sold)
* Apexi AVCR (possibly sold)
* Polybushed everything (arms, engine mounts etc)
* Hispec 4 pot monster brake kit (They are insanely good!)
* LSD (type unconfirmed at the moment)
* OZ Superleggera 17's running Kuhmo V700 v70a semi slicks
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

*vulture mode* Are you selling the lsd separate???
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'd rather it go with the gearbox. The box is in good shape, so you could swap out your existing one, sell it and fit this one :)
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I might be interested in the bits to do a rev 2 to rev 3 management conversion
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Magic Beans wrote:

How's Mule II doing?

The car is running fine but the paint work is really letting the car down, whoever sprayed the car didn't do the correct prep and now rust is coming out on the bonet, drivers door (as you know), rear boot lid is in a mess, both bumpers etc... :(

You want her back ? :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

markstevieandmads wrote:I might be interested in the bits to do a rev 2 to rev 3 management conversion

The engine and associated bits might be sold. I'll let you know :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Martin F wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:

How's Mule II doing?

The car is running fine but the paint work is really letting the car down, whoever sprayed the car didn't do the correct prep and now rust is coming out on the bonet, drivers door (as you know), rear boot lid is in a mess, both bumpers etc... :(

:( Gutted.

I can't believe they'd spend so much time and money of paintwork, only to cut fundamental corners :/

I did think about it at one point, no going back though.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Magic Beans wrote:
Martin F wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:

How's Mule II doing?

:( Gutted.

I can't believe they'd spend so much time and money of paintwork, only to cut fundamental corners :/

I did think about it at one point, no going back though.

I am calling it a day, the car owes me over 10k, as much as i would like to sell it as is i am considering selling the mods and putting the car back as a rev3 turbo, don't want the story to end here but with the paintwork being in the condition it is i may have no choice.
I may advertise the car as a whole to see if there is any interest but jims car isn't selling and is in better condition bodywork wise so not sure how it will go :(

In all fairness she looks great while rolling on the road still and in a straight line i have had nothing even being close to keeping up with her but add a few corners and i struggle keeping up with my mates brand new mazda 3, 2 litre, all 118 bhp of it :oops: , with that, my age, bad handling/bad comfort and paintwork i would like to move on to something more modern....
Right now i have a budget of 30k with that going up to 45k in the next 12 months, pretty much decided on a TT rs with all the factory extras, may settle for similar but just the tts as i'm not sure the RS is worth the extra 8k, i won't be buying another mr2 though so whatever happens that part of my life ends with the mule II :(

It has been a fun 15 years with lots of modding and memories, makes mule II all the more fitting to bow out too !!!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Oh, and almost 3 years, (or is it two :-k (, can't remember)) the mule has been ultra reliable.
The only issue was the exhaust baffle breaking up and costing me a £400 wasted dyno bill :lol:

Deserves a name change, any ideas and i will get a sticker made up and stuck on the rear for the next 2 months ?
Draven

Post by Draven »

That is sad news :(
ashley

Post by ashley »

Martin F wrote:
In all fairness she looks great while rolling on the road still and in a straight line i have had nothing even being close to keeping up with her but add a few corners and i struggle keeping up with my mates brand new mazda 3, 2 litre, all 118 bhp of it :oops: , with that, my age, bad handling/bad comfort and paintwork i would like to move on to something more modern....

Sounds like you need:

- A turbo with less lag/ lower boost threshold
- To tune your chassis (including wheels and rubber)
- Lighten your car
- Get some driving lessons

I've been very surprised how capable the SW20 chassis is once you set it up for fast road use, especially round the bendy stuff (and with a smaller turbo!), I'm no race driver, but there really hasn't been much I've come up against on the road that's been a struggle to keep up with/ leave behind :eye:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:
Martin F wrote:

Sounds like you need:

- A turbo with less lag/ lower boost threshold
- To tune your chassis (including wheels and rubber)
- Lighten your car
- Get some driving lessons

I've been very surprised how capable the SW20 chassis is once you set it up for fast road use, especially round the bendy stuff (and with a smaller turbo!), I'm no race driver, but there really hasn't been much I've come up against on the road that's been a struggle to keep up with/ leave behind :eye:

All true ashley, especially the driving lessons part, i have never had the bottle to push a car hard when it comes to corners so maybe i was a bit hard on the old mr2 in the above complaint :oops:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Sounds like it's time to go Martin.

More modern cars with a quarter of your budget are faster, more capable, comfy and reliable. the 90's have gone now and modern FI engines are just incredible. If you've had enough, you've had enough. We're only really here for the love of the car due to its age etc - if you dont love it in that way anymore it's time to sell up and get something more up to date.

Even something like a 25k GTR would trash the MR2 and yet you could poodle around in no problem.

Return to “Member Profiles”