H4 HID Kit Interest?

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Slarty

Re: H4 HID Kit Interest?

Post by Slarty »

The way I see it is this...

HID's work in a similar principle to a fluorescent (spelling) light. They take a big charge to ignite the gas, but once lit it takes a smaller current to maintain the arc. They also take a few seconds to illuminate fully on first switch on.

So, switching the dipped beams on for the first time will require a couple of seconds for the lights to achieve full brightness. If you were to switch them off and back on again, they "should" be up to full brightness almost instantly.

This can be carried over to the dipped/high beam scenario. Unless you are driving for a long period of time with your main beams on, I really don't see that it should be an issue.

I also don't see the value behind keeping the HID dipped beams on when on full beam. Surely the full beam alone should be sufficient? After all, how many of us actually drive for ages on main beams? Personally, I only use them maybe once or twice a week, and even then probably only for a few seconds at a time :?:
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

slarty like i said previously i can see you being left in darkness on a backroad if your switching from full to dipped also if your saying you won't have the fulls on of long periods of time you will be switching them on for a few seconds then back to dipped.

This is VERY bad for HID kits, my idea of running full and dipped at the same time would cure both these issues!

For anyone wondering if the full is enough and having the HID off, so me a favor and sit in your car in the dark with normal lights on dip, pull the stalk slowly, just before it switches to high there will be a slight overlap, where both the dip and full are on, you will see how much differance it makes having the dip and full running at the same time.

getting them both running is straight forward, you just need an inline diode, maplin or similar sell these, and your running a wire from the full beam +ve wire to the relay +ve wire, then when the full beam comes on the HID's will stay on too.

As for issues with heat, i cannot be sure yet if it will create too much head only way to tell is to wire it all up and see, and my car isn't back till next week now at the earliest :(
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Kenny-Boost wrote:getting them both running is straight forward, you just need an inline diode, maplin or similar sell these, and your running a wire from the full beam +ve wire to the relay +ve wire, then when the full beam comes on the HID's will stay on too.

I'll check your test of both lights tonight - stock halogens.

Do you have part number for one of those diodes mate, I need to make an order of some things from Maplin tomorrow 8)
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

not got a part number, but i'll look for a part number later, even if you get a diode your only running the wire about 1cm, from one pin on the H4 plug to another.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

cool :thumleft:
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

5W should be more than the relay needs to run...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 1&doy=17m1
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

There's a 12v and 15v one. I guess 12v should do but is it worth getting the 15v anyway to be safe? :oops:
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

the voltage IIRC is the upper level it can handle, so its anything UPTO the voltage so yeah get the 15V one
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

The other problem that I can see is that the wiring harness will have been spec'd for EITHER the main or dipped beams to be on, not BOTH.

Will it be a problem? Would you want to see the front of your car melt?

Disscus :lol:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

That's what I'm concerned about slarty, and I don't really wanna try it out because a) it will cost money for a new set and b) it will leave a big mess :lol:

Did try both dipped and main beam last night holding the flash stalk about half way and it is good, but I can make do without for peace of mind. I can always put fogs on to see a bit better in the short distance, assuming no oncoming cars and in the countryside...

Kenny, if you get it working and you're fine for a month or so I'll adopt your method 8)
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Slarty...thats not the case at all regarding the wiring, yes as stock both share an earth wire and i wouldn't recommend running both at once (and yes it is good leeroy lol)

anyways...once you wire up the HID's you will soon realise that the HID's run from the battery direct not the stock wiring so no extra load is being put on the headlight wiring at all HTH.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Well I've got the diode on the way anyway so let me know when you've test fitted it \:D/
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Kenny-Boost wrote:Slarty...thats not the case at all regarding the wiring, yes as stock both share an earth wire and i wouldn't recommend running both at once (and yes it is good leeroy lol)

anyways...once you wire up the HID's you will soon realise that the HID's run from the battery direct not the stock wiring so no extra load is being put on the headlight wiring at all HTH.

Good point, well made :)

One last thing, you said switching the dipped HID beams off and on too frequently was a bad idea, but if you wire these in conjunction with the main beams, everytime you flash someone to say thanks/come on etc, you're going to be killing the HID's....??? I know the answer to that one is to not flash people lol, but you see what I mean :?:
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

hi mate your point is correct about flashing people, i've been thinking about that too.

my thoughts so far are, because it just flashes on and off hopefully the HID unit doesn't even have time to switch on before the power is killed.

OR i'm going to run a wire direct from the stalk to the relay and see if i can wire it up that it only comes on when the stalk is pushed rather than pulled - know what i mean?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Kenny, you're just too good!!

Now where's the xxxx applause emoticon :evil:
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

Just a little update, my car is with 3s this week for some work and they have fitted the HID kit along with the raybrigs for me.
I spoke to James earlier and he said that there wasn't really any pause between the beams and certainly no being left in darkness like on a couple of other kits he had seen. Sounds like James and the gang at 3s are on form as usual, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands back on my 2 \:D/
Unfortunately, I can't give any clues on how they were fitted in but can take a few pictures and comments on them when I get the car on friday.
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Well i still dont' have my 2 back lol.

got a big old pile of parts to fit including HID's and raybrigs.

if anyone who has the kit and is struggling to fit them feel free to post up, and i'm sure everyone will try to help :)
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

I'm going to have a crack at fitting mine on Sunday.

At the very least, I'll aim to get the balast units in place along with the wiring, if not connected. Wish me luck!!
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

Got my car back from 3s today and the HID's are in \:D/
The dipped beam already stays on when you use the main and the light output is great. I wish the range was better but they have had the beams correctly set up by an MOT centre.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

:ttiwwp:

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”