The Mule

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: The Mule

Post by Ryan S »

get some videos up of that Berk!!

How do you like the sound of it?? :D
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Martin F wrote:
The welder never removed my water temp sensor and melted the insides though #-o , ordered a cheap one from ebay and it doesn't work with my gauges so I will have to fork out for an original sensor.

what make gauge? I've got a good used japanese (apexi, i think) water temp sensor you're welcome to if you want it.. shoot me a pic of the plug on yours and i'll see if it matches
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C35Rob wrote:
Martin F wrote:
The welder never removed my water temp sensor and melted the insides though #-o , ordered a cheap one from ebay and it doesn't work with my gauges so I will have to fork out for an original sensor.

what make gauge? I've got a good used japanese (apexi, i think) water temp sensor you're welcome to if you want it.. shoot me a pic of the plug on yours and i'll see if it matches

Cheers Rob, I just bought a new one for £6.50, it didn't work so I bought one that goes with the digital display gauges I bought, was £13.50.
If that doesn't work then I have obviously killed the gauge by plugging in the damaged sensor #-o

Offer appreciated though
:thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:get some videos up of that Berk!!

How do you like the sound of it?? :D

I don't like it at all, it is far to quiet for my tastes, I can't comment on what it sounds like at higher revs because of the screamer pipe :(

It sounds really rubbish compared to the sheepdog exhaust but that exhaust was the 2nd best exhaust I have ever heard on any 4 cyl. car, so maybe not an entirely fair review, hopefully it will grow on me :pray:

How's things with yourself Ryan ? any progress with your own mr2 ?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

aw you're kidding man, I think they are the most distinctive sounding exhaust I've heard on an Mr2 :(

Yeah feeling a lot better now, No progress to report, well, nothing major. Getting pipes made up for the slave cylinder just now, Tabs welded on the rocker cover so that's ready to go on. Away to buy exhaust hangers this week and fit the exhaust so i can get the downpipe made up. Kinda waiting on the lighter nights. It will be on the road this year even if it means the end of summer!
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Umm...wonderful car you have there Mr Mule.....sell me your Berk :twisted:

In all seriousness, i'm surprised to hear this, thought the berk was second only to PP D2 pro /TCS.

This was one of the reasons i didnt opt for a screamer pipe and had my WG plumbed back into my DP. There are too many sounds to look out for.

I like the sound of the GT (which you have the same) turbo plus the exhaust. Having a screamer pipe on top seem like too much going on.

I'm still thinking about fixing up a PP i know of or getting a TCS one to replace my Japspeed. but to be honest i know no better in sounds and the Japspeed sounds fine to me. Other MR2 owners have said the others sound way better.. :-k

Good luck with your dyno
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Odin_S wrote:Umm...wonderful car you have there Mr Mule.....sell me your Berk :twisted:

In all seriousness, i'm surprised to hear this, thought the berk was second only to PP D2 pro /TCS.

This was one of the reasons i didnt opt for a screamer pipe and had my WG plumbed back into my DP. There are too many sounds to look out for.

I like the sound of the GT (which you have the same) turbo plus the exhaust. Having a screamer pipe on top seem like too much going on.

I'm still thinking about fixing up a PP i know of or getting a TCS one to replace my Japspeed. but to be honest i know no better in sounds and the Japspeed sounds fine to me. Other MR2 owners have said the others sound way better.. :-k

Good luck with your dyno

I was just used to the sheepdog exhaust and it was something else so give it a week or two and I will see if it grows on me :mrgreen:

thanks for the dyno luck, if the clutch holds I am confident it will go fine , will update when the deed is done :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I had a problem with the boost controller, basically it just wasn't reading right. ie. it was saying 1.4 bar when I was running off wastegate pressure, which I think is around 1.2 bar.
I decided to move the control box from inside the cabin to the engine bay, use new pressure pipes and get rid of other things that were attached to that feed, leaving the control box in a much better place and angle.
I then reset the controller and the problem has got worse, now reading 1.5 bar to 1.6 bar on wastegate pressure.

I then stripped down all the pipes to the external wastegate and checked them for leaks, none found.
When I raise the start duty there is a huge difference in response and I can get higher boost so it is at least responding.

As it's dyno day next week, this was a teething problem I could have done without :eye:

For now I will just buy a separate boost gauge and get let mr paton set the boost as he sees fit.

I will have wastegate pressure as my super low setting, low boost will be 1.6 bar then there will be a high boost setting of whatever works best.

I also bought another silicone hose to fit my new dump valve.

It sounds totally different to anything I have heard before, sometimes a bit similar to the standard dumpvalve to atmosphere set up I had before, other times it is a long, slow whooooosh with some turbo flutter, no regrets with swapping the standard dump valve anyway, thanks mr2Owner :thumleft:

Anybody know what alternator belt I need Btw ? I phoned up to get one and they couldn't find my car, ](*,)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ha ha ... sard r2d2 .. what a great sounding valve :D
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Dyno Day, thanks to some water getting into one of the spark plug bores I lost 2 hours dyno time trying to get it fixed, don't ask ](*,) At £99 an hour though you can maybe understand how frustrating it is....

Anyway, I didn't get the 500 bhp I yearned for but I did get comfortably over the 450 bhp mark which I am actually very happy with.
Pretty much getting over 450 bhp from 5400 revs all the way through to the limiter at 7800 revs. Highest temp I saw all day was 20 degrees, so this chargecooler was a good choice.

The clutch held fine so that's me settled with the car power wise, bodykit is exactly what I like so that's done also, just need some things sanded, sprayed, touched up and the mule will be ready for the summer, only real downside to the day was the hanging about and the weather, snow and rain there and most of the way home, still, £65 petrol did me over 300 miles driving and 2 hours getting many hard pulls on the dyno, can't grumble :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Got a print out?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:Got a print out?

I do, will upload to the thread sometime soon, for now though it's time to relax and have a few beers :wink:

How's your motor coming along ?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Got a bit more welding to do on the rad in the morning, then I need to bolt it all together and try starting it- hopefully tomorrow.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Got your pipe btw, just need to post it
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:Got your pipe btw, just need to post it

Ahh, that's great, pm me your paypal addy and I will pay for it as soon as I can, good luck for tomorrow, need to go and have a gander at your thread actually, check on your updates :thumleft:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Martin F wrote:Dyno Day, thanks to some water getting into one of the spark plug bores I lost 2 hours dyno time trying to get it fixed, don't ask ](*,) At £99 an hour though you can maybe understand how frustrating it is....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/mrtee-1/L692%20ENP%20aka%20The%20Mule/DSC_1103_zpsg8qmmafm.jpg[/URL]

Anyway, I didn't get the 500 bhp I yearned for but I did get comfortably over the 450 bhp mark which I am actually very happy with.
Pretty much getting over 450 bhp from 5400 revs all the way through to the limiter at 7800 revs. Highest temp I saw all day was 20 degrees, so this chargecooler was a good choice.

The clutch held fine so that's me settled with the car power wise, bodykit is exactly what I like so that's done also, just need some things sanded, sprayed, touched up and the mule will be ready for the summer, only real downside to the day was the hanging about and the weather, snow and rain there and most of the way home, still, £65 petrol did me over 300 miles driving and 2 hours getting many hard pulls on the dyno, can't grumble :mrgreen:

Very nice Martin always knew you were going to ger over 450bhp what boost are you at etc, need details!! :lol: :oldtongue: btw good mpg too nice bonus
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Odin_S wrote:
Martin F wrote:Dyno Day, thanks to some water getting into one of the spark plug bores I lost 2 hours dyno time trying to get it fixed, don't ask ](*,) At £99 an hour though you can maybe understand how frustrating it is....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/mrtee-1/L692%20ENP%20aka%20The%20Mule/DSC_1103_zpsg8qmmafm.jpg[/URL]

Very nice Martin always knew you were going to ger over 450bhp what boost are you at etc, need details!! :lol: :oldtongue: btw good mpg too nice bonus

Quite high for over 450 bhp, 1.88 bar, that's my high boost setting though, low boost is just under 1.6 bar and off is just over 1.2 bar.

mpg was pretty good in all honesty, that was cruising between 60 and 70 though, wasn't using any boost apart from on the dyno...
I am glad to finally get this over with, it's hard work waiting for everything to work correctly on the dyno, clutch to hold etc. etc. , dyno this time was £452, last time £350, then two tanks of petrol, not a cheap exercise...

Thanks Btw :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That awesome Martin. Really chuffed for you! :thumleft:

I'll be at Crail over the summer with the bike so let me know if you're there :)
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Looking forward to seeing the printout, was it HQ you went to Martin?
Cars looking great :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan S wrote:That awesome Martin. Really chuffed for you! :thumleft:

I'll be at Crail over the summer with the bike so let me know if you're there :)

I'm quite chuffed too, it was getting expensive so to have that out of the way is Great :thumleft:

How's progress going with your car ?

Return to “Member Profiles”