Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Josh's Rev 3 Turbo

Post by Ryan S »

also excited to hear the results :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Great results mate :thumleft: :lol:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

:lol: Sorry lads. Been busy driving, cleaning and adding stickers to her :mrgreen:

Stole this from the Dyna Tune fb page. Sums things up nicely I think. I'll get the dyno printout up soon too.

Was at Japfest yesterday. Amazing show. Scorching weather. Pictures to follow also.
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
ashley

Post by ashley »

That's more like it- nice one :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Excellent man!!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Finally got there Josh, nice figures, How does she feel compared to how she was at 340 bhp ?
wilki

Post by wilki »

must be nice to come away with +50bhp
Hope it runs well for you and doesn't cause any issues down the line.
Great bhp figure for bragging rights 8) haha.

Looks a nice machine also :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

wilki wrote:must be nice to come away with +50bhp

Are you sure it is a GT28 turbo in there ?

I couldn't even get those figures on a GT30 at 1.2 bar +, on all three separate cars i have had mapped on that turbo over the years :-k
ashley

Post by ashley »

Martin wrote:
wilki wrote:must be nice to come away with +50bhp

Are you sure it is a GT28 turbo in there ?

I couldn't even get those figures on a GT30 at 1.2 bar +, on all three separate cars i have had mapped on that turbo over the years :-k

Sounds like it's the GT2871R with the larger trim compressor wheel (and on the largest size turbine housing maybe?)
It's very impressive for such low boost...I'd love to see the dyno plots including boost...

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/produ ... GT2871R_[3]
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Thanks for the comments guys. Feels a lot stronger with the extra power. 3rd gear pulls are brutal! I am however getting a lot of boost creep in 4th and 5th which requires some slight throttle feathering. Gonna have to go external wastegate to eliminate that by the looks of it.

Definitely a GT28 Martin.

Unsure of other sizes but Chris reckons theres more to come with a bit more mapping. Haven't even introduced the water/methanol injection yet. Hoping to push it to about 1.5-1.6 bar over the next few months.

Here's the dyno printouts i got. Goes over my head a little tbh. These are all at the hubs. The 390 was estimated after transmission losses, etc.

Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashley

Post by ashley »

What boost controller are you using? You may see benefits from refining it's operation a bit and smoothing how it's controlling boost- it does wave a round a bit, especially as it comes up to full boost.

Early spool, with plenty of grunt...must be a hoot to drive!! An ideal road warrior spec :twisted:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

JAAASH wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. Feels a lot stronger with the extra power. 3rd gear pulls are brutal! I am however getting a lot of boost creep in 4th and 5th which requires some slight throttle feathering. Gonna have to go external wastegate to eliminate that by the looks of it.

Definitely a GT28 Martin.

Unsure of other sizes but Chris reckons theres more to come with a bit more mapping. Haven't even introduced the water/methanol injection yet. Hoping to push it to about 1.5-1.6 bar over the next few months.

Here's the dyno printouts i got. Goes over my head a little tbh. These are all at the hubs. The 390 was estimated after transmission losses, etc.

Ahhh, 322 @ the hubs, sounds about right, you may struggle with inlet temps at higher boost levels though, still, it's how the car drives on the road, you sound more than happy with that :thumleft:

Happy you are finally getting good progress with her 8)
JD

Post by JD »

Excellent result. I can't wait to see how far you can push things with the water injection involved.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Was really nice to meet you Josh 8)

Really glad you are happy with it so far buddy. It was a shame that the car playing ball when going over 1.2Bar. However, in the end you got there and have come away with a very fast car indeed with a lot more left in the tank :D

Once the boost control is ironed out and it can be pushed it'll be a totally different animal again. I look forward to seeing how happy you are with it then haha! You will be buzzing.

Car looks awesome.. A real testament to a lot of good choices and a very good taste. I hope you enjoy it bud.

Was a pleasure to be there both weekends and see how it was going. Next time you are up give me a shout buddy

:thumleft:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

ashley wrote:What boost controller are you using? You may see benefits from refining it's operation a bit and smoothing how it's controlling boost- it does wave a round a bit, especially as it comes up to full boost.

Early spool, with plenty of grunt...must be a hoot to drive!! An ideal road warrior spec :twisted:

It's an r-spec boost solenoid controlled by the ecu.
I've got data logging set up, which will record every event where I use 60% throttle or more and records for 25 seconds, so I'll be sending the logs to Chris for him to tweak the map slightly until we're happy.

Not a huge power gain from last year but the uprated fuelling really adds piece of mind (and scope for more upgrades :lol:).
Coupled with the new tyres and brake pads it feels so much more planted. First time I've had semi slick tyres and the extra grip through the corners really is an awesome feeling. The Porterfield pads are very good too. Naturally they need a bit of heat in them but they're a real improvement over the ebc yellow stuff I had previously and I'm sure I'm nowhere near their max yet.

It really is a lot of fun to drive. I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoy being in the car after the circa 6 month layup. Can't imagine how you're gonna feel when yours is back on the road!

Martin wrote:Ahhh, 322 @ the hubs, sounds about right, you may struggle with inlet temps at higher boost levels though, still, it's how the car drives on the road, you sound more than happy with that :thumleft:

Happy you are finally getting good progress with her 8)

Cheers Martin.
Hopefully when the inlet temps start to increase, the water injection should help bring them back down :thumleft:

JD wrote:Excellent result. I can't wait to see how far you can push things with the water injection involved.

Thanks John. Me neither! Not sure when it'll be though. Might need to get this boost creep under control first.

GeorgeL wrote:Was really nice to meet you Josh 8)

Really glad you are happy with it so far buddy. It was a shame that the car playing ball when going over 1.2Bar. However, in the end you got there and have come away with a very fast car indeed with a lot more left in the tank :D

Once the boost control is ironed out and it can be pushed it'll be a totally different animal again. I look forward to seeing how happy you are with it then haha! You will be buzzing.

Car looks awesome.. A real testament to a lot of good choices and a very good taste. I hope you enjoy it bud.

Was a pleasure to be there both weekends and see how it was going. Next time you are up give me a shout buddy

:thumleft:

Hey George, was good to meet you too. Thanks again for the lift from the train station :thumleft:
Really appreciate the kind words Image
I'll definitely let you know next time I'm about. Hopefully yours will be back on the road then too Image

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Quick little video while it was on the dyno.

https://youtu.be/cTlvlQfv0vk

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Josh's Rev 3 Turbo - Weekend fun!

Post by JAAASH »

Not much of an update of sorts. More of a 'what I've been up to' post. Pic heavy!

Few little bits to mention though - External wastegate plans are well under way, should hopefully have that sorted in the next few weeks.
Also decided to do a bit of engine bay tidying as I feel it let's the aesthetics of the car down somewhat. Still very much a work in progress at the moment and I'll add a before and after shot once it's sorted.
Thanks to Martin, Sheppy and Peter for sorting out the extra parts so I can just swap them over when I'm ready.

Got a cam cover in primer too. Think I'm gonna get that hydrodipped though (once I actually make up my mind for a design/theme).

Got some heatwrap for the exhaust (only the backbox section), as I felt the pipework was an eyesore :roll: :lol: simple things...

Also finally got round to getting my bike mounted. Ready for some downhill domination :mrgreen:

Last weekend I went up to TunerFest at Oulton Park. Was a cool little show and enjoyed watching round 4 of the Time Attack. Some awesome machinery knocking about that day.

Then today me and a couple of mates popped up to Liverpool for a Cars and Coffee meet on the docks. Really cool meet and a whole range of cars, American, Jap, German, Italian, you name it.

Next one is TBA but should be in August. If anyone's interested in coming along, I'll add you to the facebook group :thumleft:

After milling around there till late morning we made a last minute decision to blast up to Kirkbride (Carlisle) for Racewars. Paid our registration and had a few runs up the strip :twisted:

My first time drag racing and it was an absolute blast. Seriously enjoyed myself and definitely got the bug!
First time I've really had a go with my launch control too which was fun. Although I'm still getting wat too much wheel spin, so I need a little more practice and some tweaking to LC settings (Didn't have my laptop to make any adjustments today unfortunately).

Here's a little video of said wheelspin against my mate in his Astra VXR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5u3cj6guSY

And this is the video from my best run. 12.90 with a 2.12 60ft so still loads of practice/improvement to be made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwjW9eEUdt4

That final run actually won me 'Fastest RWD of the day' so I was made up with that \:D/ :mrgreen:
No idea how many were actually in my class though :lol: I only saw an RX7 (which I beat by 4-5 car lengths) and a standard rev2 Turbo which I didnt get to race, but we got there pretty late on so missed most of the action. Definitely gonna get there a lot earlier next time!

To finish the day off we decided to cruise back down through the lake district and avoid as much motorway as possible. Thoroughly enjoyable day. Can't wait to do it all over again, hopefully sometime in the very near future :mrgreen:
Last edited by JAAASH on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Nice one m8.

Coming to Santa pod 8th august?
Rwyb day.
JD

Post by JD »

Sweet. Why are you swapping the manifold? You got something crazy planned or just fancied swapping in a tidy painted one?
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

markstevieandmads wrote:Nice one m8.

Coming to Santa pod 8th august?
Rwyb day.

Cheers Mark. I may just do that you know. Always fancied a go at Santa Pod.

JD wrote:Sweet. Why are you swapping the manifold? You got something crazy planned or just fancied swapping in a tidy painted one?

Nothing crazy i'm afraid sorry mate. Just so I could paint it all without having to have the car off the road for any length of time. I've also shaved the casting marks out of the manifold and chopped off a few unnecessary lumps from it to try and make it look 'cleaner'.

Return to “Member Profiles”