Mk1b restoration... its alive..and painted!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

elbon50

Re: Mk1b restoration... its alive..and painted!!

Post by elbon50 »

boondougal wrote:No pic but I spent the majority of the afternoon masking up the body of the car... Took ages!

I then tried to get a coat of primer in... Hahaha it was awful, I tried to rush it as it was 7:30 tonight, restricted space meant I kept getting too close and laying down too much paint.. Needless to say there are a few runs that I need to smooth off tomorrow!!!

Your technique will improve with practice Sam :)

Keep going :thumleft:
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Thanks for the encouragement, I spent a while reading up on gun set up last night and I'm pretty sure my air pressure was too high.... I will be flatting back and giving it another go later I think!!
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Did a bit of work tonight.. flated it back, got rid of the runs and filled a few low areas.

Here is my make shift spray booth

And here is the car all masked up

In the last pic you can just see some plastic sheeting hanging down... i made a false ceiling with dust sheets to help keep the dust down and also help prevent fumes going into next doors garage.

I did a better job tonight, far less runs but on one side it went a bit wrong, not sure why so tomorrow morning i will flat that back, final coat of high build and then colour and clear.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Just thought i would update this... looks like my to motor will be having another break from being bought back to life mainly due to this new arrival:

in the last 8 weeks we have moved house, renovated a property, building work, full rewire, new heating, and stripped out and redecorated a house that had not been touched since 1967... not too mention a new bathroom.... oh and the little matter of our Daughter being born!!!

I still drop on occasionally to check out whats going on but at least for the foreseeable my project is on hold.

cheers peeps

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
munter

Post by munter »

Congrats!

If your daughter is anything like mine by the time they reach 3 they'll be pestering you to go for a "fast drive in daddy's nice car"!
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

munter wrote:Congrats!

If your daughter is anything like mine by the time they reach 3 they'll be pestering you to go for a "fast drive in daddy's nice car"!

Phew... 2.9 years to get it finished then... surely that should be doable!!!! 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

boondougal wrote:Just thought i would update this... looks like my to motor will be having another break from being bought back to life mainly due to this new arrival:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz11 ... D91CA0.jpg

in the last 8 weeks we have moved house, renovated a property, building work, full rewire, new heating, and stripped out and redecorated a house that had not been touched since 1967... not too mention a new bathroom.... oh and the little matter of our Daughter being born!!!

I still drop on occasionally to check out whats going on but at least for the foreseeable my project is on hold.

cheers peeps

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Continues to amaze me how much you get done in a short time Sam

Caring for a newborn takes some effort on its own without all the work on the house, etc

Where have you moved to ?
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Peter,

Moved to slightly more your neck of the woods.
A village in-between Nantwich and Crewe so south Cheshire J16 on the M6.

I work away alot so we decided it would be sensible for my wife to be closer to her mum and other family for support.

I have been fortunate this year to have been able to take a fair amount of time off work and also was able to have 3/4 weeks clear ish around when we got the house and had the baby... been very fortunate but not now as back at work and in London missing my girls! (and boys aka the dogs)

I did just put a pass out request in for JAE with the boss though and although not accepted it has not been declined either so there is hope!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

boondougal wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Peter,

Moved to slightly more your neck of the woods.
A village in-between Nantwich and Crewe so south Cheshire J16 on the M6.

I work away alot so we decided it would be sensible for my wife to be closer to her mum and other family for support.

I have been fortunate this year to have been able to take a fair amount of time off work and also was able to have 3/4 weeks clear ish around when we got the house and had the baby... been very fortunate but not now as back at work and in London missing my girls! (and boys aka the dogs)

I did just put a pass out request in for JAE with the boss though and although not accepted it has not been declined either so there is hope!

I'm not far from J14 M6

Can think offhand of 6 or more other members within easy range of you
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Im just down the road, went to college in Crewe, so if you need a hand with anything let me know!
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

pk_090 wrote:Im just down the road, went to college in Crewe, so if you need a hand with anything let me know!
Alex

:thumleft: :thumleft: might just have to take u up on that offer at some point... especially if it involves a trip out in your 2 as its been toooooo long since i have been in one!!!
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

boondougal wrote:
pk_090 wrote:Im just down the road, went to college in Crewe, so if you need a hand with anything let me know!
Alex

:thumleft: :thumleft: might just have to take u up on that offer at some point... especially if it involves a trip out in your 2 as its been toooooo long since i have been in one!!!

Anytime! well apart from the first 2 weeks in sept as im going Buxton, and then JAE!

Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Kudos for having a go at painting it yourself. I did some painting last weekend (engine bay and frunk) but not ready to try and do a whole car yet. My project is some way off that point though.

Love the impromptu booth :thumleft: What paint are you using? I'm using cellulose as my compressor isn't man enough to run an air mask and a full-on gun but used anti-bloom thinners this time so got better colour than before. It might have been too hot though - had to hold the gun about 3-4 inches from the surface to get a decent finish which is hallf what it should be. I think the thinners were flashing off between gun and car. I just hope the finish is OK so I can move on; been waiting since last September or so to paint it again but weather has been useless for painting until recently.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Looking great...

TBH i was more interested in giving it a go than getting the perfect finish – its pretty much been the ethos of my restoration.

mica blue is a pearl so it has to be a cellulose base with a lacquer but i went for the 2k clear as its just a lot better.

I have obviously read up all of the discussion about 2k but i decided that i had a decent enough filter mask and that i was only going to be painting one car in relatively short bursts that i didn't mind not having the air fed mask etc. Obviously its personal choice but in my opinion i do think as long as you are sensible the risks are overhyped for the one off home user. If i was planning on doing a few more then i might take a different view.
For the purpose of this thread I don’t want to get into a debate about 2k as I know it evokes strong comments… I just thought I would share what I did.

In the end i balls it up anyway.. probably rushing as we were moving out of the house and i was going to be losing the large garage.

I got the high build primer laid down pretty nice, but when I moved to the colour I changed the nozzle on my gun to drop down the nozzle size but stupidly not the pin it meant that the base didn’t go down that evenly but after a few coats it looked ok so I went onto the clear but it was awful… orange peel would be a kind way of describing it.

It was an interesting experience and I enjoyed playing around with the spray pattern and air pressure to find out what worked best and I certainly wouldn’t shy away from having another go.

Anyway I ran out of time so ended up rebuilding the car and getting it transported to our new house… I no longer have the room to do it at home so once I get back round to having time to work on her I’ll need to find some space I can borrow / rent but that’s not even on page 2 of the “to do” list at the moment.
](*,) ](*,)
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Fair enough - you won't get any grief from me. I'm tempted to try 2k but I'm unsure about the risks even though most people get on fine. I had asthma as a kid so my main concern is that I might be particularly susceptible.

Thanks for the compliment about my efforts but solid red is always going to be easier than mica blue pearl and engine and frunk are less sensitive to finishg than the body itself - plenty of corrugations and mouldings to hide any less than perfect bits - not like a flat panel.

Good luck with the project, you sure have a lot going on right now. Try again one day, I reckon you'll nail it. Took me a while to build up the confidence to have a go and that seeems to be half the battle. The rest is just having the time to be patient about it and that's more to do with circumstances. Seems circumstances are just conspiring against you right now - at least as far as respraying goes.

Thanks for the reply :thumleft:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Free tomorrow Sam? I forgot it was a bank holiday!

boondougal

Post by boondougal »

pk_090 wrote:Free tomorrow Sam? I forgot it was a bank holiday!

Only just seen this, really really appreciate the offer :clap:
TBh i was probably not really able to get out and about anyway, i was trying hard to take th pressure off my wife this weekend with the little one and we did seem to have a million visitors. not to mention i'm trying my hardest to get agreement we can go to JAE so i definitely don't want to rock that boat.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

boondougal wrote:picked up the washers from toyota and they are nothing like the ones that i got in my gasket kit...

the toyota ones are on the left...

I had exactly the same problem with the gasket set I bought off ebay ,note to self buy more parts from toyota as then I dont have to buy them twice lol
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Opened the garage door for the first time in a couple of months yesterday, its a sad sight.

pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Now i got my Janspeed fitted, im going to come to shav and make some 4AGE noise, to make you get i finished.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”