The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by craig »

This is why I don't do working on cars, and leave it to Pete. :lol:

Chin up mate, hope the internets are fruitful, and you get it sorted. :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

:thumleft:

In a turn of fortune I have managed to get a couple of other significant, albeit not car related, tasks finished. Most important of which is configuring our home server as a full Hyperspin environment :D For those who aren't familiar with HS it's basically an application which pulls together loads of different arcade/console/computer emulators, all their roms , artwork and videos and works like the ultimate arcade machine.

Here's a video (with the world's dullest man!) for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y76_LLq4FI

I'm off back to the 80's and 90's now, where I belong :mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

still confused as to what it is, but can't watch vid as im at work..

but glad you got it sorted..

i have a few adaptors if you know what sizes you want om me and ill have a look see what we have :thumleft:

get back to jap then you won't get all the silly sizes
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

You'd love it, Pete! It's a whole world of retro gaming loveliness :D

Thanks for the offer on the adapter :thumleft: I now know the sender is ⅛"NPTF, I just need to work out what size it needs adapting to :-k Maybe I'll get a photo and upload it on how here with measurements and some wise and kindly sort will be able to point me in the right direction :pray: :wink:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I always wanted to do a HS setup on an arcade machine but ended up sticking with something like maximus arcade etc.

I could never get all the software and extras together to make a working system. I wanted a complete all in one solution to download and just stick some roms in but could never find anything,
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

HS is awesome and works incredibly in an arcade cab. My friend built his own full-sized cab to run it all and it's brilliant! Instant nostalgia :D It is a beast to configure from scratch though, especially all the videos etc 8-[
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Here's photos of the senders, in case any wise sort can ID them and offer suggestions of what I need? :pray:

Here's the sender I need an adapter for, allowing it to be attached to the larger bored sandwich plate. Apparently it's 1/8" NPFT.

And this is the sender removed from the sandwich plate, so the size I need the above adapting to fit.

Any advice most gratefully received :thumleft:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Phil first thing I would do is pop to machine mart or similar and buy yourself a thread gauge approx £4.00 - save you some heart ache in the future I suspect!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It'll be a few days now until I can sort anything, I'm out of the country until Thursday :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Back in the country after a few days away on business, driving around Ireland in what must be the slowest BMW know to man. That being the 316D with it's mighty 114bhp, which is less than half what my 1er has and weighs around 100kg more :neutral:

Anyway, back to matters in hand...

I've got sick of trying to ID the thread size and ultimately the thread adapter I need for the sandwich plate so have stuck the original one back in and will tackle it later. I do now have a plug to go in the head, thanks to Nick, so that's one half of the job sorted at least :thumleft:

Nick suggested I should cheap the clearances before swapping the oil etc, so I picked myself up one of those tools I should have got ages ago but haven't needed to.. feeler gauges. All clearances were checked with the exhaust side all having a 0.2mm gap, which is spot on. The intake side were slightly low, being a mix of 0.13 - 0.20, so Nick kindly popped around today and swapped the shims for slightly larger ones and everything is pretty much spot on. Thanks again, Nick :thumleft:

I used the the need to take the cam covers off as an opportunity to do a job I've long been wanting to do, respraying them. Here's the before:

Oil, cams and other gubbins.

Temporary cover, learning lessons from the past.... :whistle:

Here's what I had to work with.

Degreased and scrubbed.

Prepped for surgery.

A few coats of Hammerite Smooth and some baking on the radiator later, they're done. Not perfect but they didn't need to be. If I'd wanted perfect I'd have had them powdercoated, this car's not really about that though.

Back on, fired up and leak tested.

Obviously a test drive was needed, in the rain... Light ish rain at a healthy speed comes pretty damn keen! :eye:

All in all it's another little job done and another step closer to where it needs to be. Next up is to swap the oil and filter then book in for a re-tune, trying to put some miles on it before hand. After that it's alignment and corner weighting, then it's pretty much ready for Blyton at the end of March :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work on the cam covers mate, looks much better. :thumleft:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Magic Beans wrote: Not perfect but they didn't need to be.

Who are you, and what have you done with Phil?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:Nice work on the cam covers mate, looks much better. :thumleft:

Thanks, Craig :) Definitely better than scruffy bare old metal.

Ben wrote:

I know, bad eh. 8-[ Avoids it becoming a garage queen though :wink:
Ben

Post by Ben »

True! Looking forward to my passenger ride around Blyton ;)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Wear helium underpants that day, it helps with the p/w ratios :wink:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Good work buddy

Keep it up
Looking forward to Blyton ;) defo wanna go out in it
Will be good fun... Hmmm can I get some springs on in time...
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm looking forward to seeing all these little cars buzzing around, followed by Frank's megabus Merc :lol:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Ben wrote:

I know, bad eh. 8-[ Avoids it becoming a garage queen though :wink:[/quote]

Haha I was thinking the same just reading that there. It's true Phil as you know... Spend too long making the car perfect and you don't want to drive it.

It's looking great bud 👍 ..
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Its crazy how just painting cam covers make the engine bay look almost new again! :clap:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GeorgeL wrote:
Haha I was thinking the same just reading that there. It's true Phil as you know... Spend too long making the car perfect and you don't want to drive it.

It's looking great bud 👍 ..

Thanks, George :)

The next project (there is one in the pipeline :-$ ) will be back to being both, fear not :lol:

Gullzter wrote:Its crazy how just painting cam covers make the engine bay look almost new again! :clap:

:thumleft:

It's often the little things which make the most difference. Well, whacking a turbo on it would be a big project and make a big difference too I guess. I'm not looking at doing that on this car, hell no! :lol:

Return to “Member Profiles”