The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

slipping clutch wrote:All good work and second to none attention to detail as per usual from Mr Beans. Well done Phil, keep the pictures comeing :thumleft:

Thanks, Martin. Good to know there's still room for the Mules, even though they're not of the Toyota variety. Currently at least.... :wink:

ashley wrote:Digi dash problems ](*,)

Very annoying, and frustrating to chase down and resolve, but so worth it once you get there...I wish you luck, you'll get there :thumleft:

Keep us updated...

I don't suppose you've had any issues like this and know of a real simple fix do you? :pray:
ashley

Post by ashley »

All you can do is test, test and more testing. Remove temperature sensors, measure response to know changes in temperature, verify the data the dash is seeing, check how it has been setup to interpret the signals, and verify what it displays as a result.

Slow, painful, but only by being thoroughly systematic can you find any potential issues :eye:

Either that or http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=172401 :whistle: :whistle:

:lol:

Keep persevering, you'll get there mate :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'll need to pull the dash and test it all, as it's a bit of a wiring mess under there ](*,) I've been meaning to tidy the loom, if you can call it that as there's sod all to it, out for a while. The original coloured wires are connected to generic nonsensical coloured wires, so tracing anything is a PITA :| The last thing I want is to mix something up and fry the dash.

I reckon your dash is a little OTT for this old girl, if I had something with a turbo though :-k :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'm close to placing an order for a load of automotive thin walled insulation wiring, if you are interested in redoing your loom properly we could consider a joint order- would make buying more colours an option....?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Sounds like a plan to me :)

This is the sum total of the wiring loom: http://www.etbinstruments.com/DigidashD ... _2_GPS.pdf

Complex huh :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Oh my sweet Jesus...

You don't know how sick that makes me feel having spent the last month working and planning out the wiring for my car

I'll be in touch mate :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Yep, it's all just weight :mrgreen:

Although you have a turbo, a damn big one at that, therefore you win :eye: One day... one day.. :whistle:
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

If you get bored slot one of these in :thumleft:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086 ... lmp1-entry
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Changed my mind Phil - no more dash pictures please - every thing else is okay. Ash keeps posting replies and I keep looking at his dash for sale and I must resist!!!
ashley

Post by ashley »

O:)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Phil

If you want me to get involved and sort it out, give me a call to discuss.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nickp wrote:If you get bored slot one of these in :thumleft:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086 ... lmp1-entry

I was reading about those the other day. I'd imagine it will be years before they're properly available and at an affordable price, however that's pretty much the perfect engine for someone wanting a truly insane kit car! =P~

slipping clutch wrote:Changed my mind Phil - no more dash pictures please - every thing else is okay. Ash keeps posting replies and I keep looking at his dash for sale and I must resist!!!

Surely the wiring dramas balance out your urges? :wink:

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Phil

If you want me to get involved and sort it out, give me a call to discuss.

Thanks, Peter :) I'm going to contact ETB and see if they can offer any advice on what might be happening. I'll likely be in touch with you though :oops:

I think rewiring everything will help, as I can label up what feeds what, instead of the disjointed mess which is behind the dash at the moment :?
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Surely the wiring dramas balance out your urges? [Wink]

You know me Phil, dive in head first and think of the consequences later ! - that's why the cars been off the road three years come this spring!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nooo, I wouldn't have said that :whistle: :mrgreen:

I'm in the process of investigating the flat spot the car seems to have in and beyond 3rd gear (not sure if I've actually mentioned this before?! :-k ). In 2ns gear it flies throughout the entire rev range, or appears to at least. It's a fuel related issue in some way, however whether it's down to the tank, pump, filters, or just that the carbs need tweaking is what I've yet to work out.

I've started off by checking and replacing the fuel filters, to ensure the pathways are clear. First up was opening up the Facet pump and checking the internal filter.

All clear :) There was a bit of gunk in the cap of the pump, which I cleaned out, nothing out of the ordinary though. I didn't get any shots of the replacement process as I was trying to make sure the fuel pi$$ all over the floor 8-[

Next up was replacing the filter in the Malpassi Filter King. The replacement:

What came out.

It was actually pretty clean and the discolouration was primarily due to it being wet with fuel. I can't really do a road test right now due to Weathermageddon so we'll see what it's like when it dries out. In the interim I'll continue to scour the net for other possible causes, as I doubt the filters have played any part.

If it was like 2nd gear in every gear it would absolutely fly! :shock:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

You know that feeling when you think something is fighting you every single step of the way.... ](*,)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

what now???
is it gonna make blyton?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Keep pushing dude- you'll get there!

:thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

What's happened now mate? :-k
synXero

Post by synXero »

:( Is she officially a nail?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

No massive dramas, thankfully, just frustration venting.

Every little job seems to be a massive chore at the moment. What should be straight forward and using the bits you've got in preparation, ends up finishing with a job half done and more research or bits needed. It's not exclusive to the Westy, it just seems to be my world right now :lol:

For example: The oil temp sender it has doesn't give a reading and after a bit of research it transpires it's not the right part for the dash, along with the pressure sender being incorrect too. The head has two coolant temp sockets as standard, both of work have differing but similar functions. Both of these had been replaced with proper ETB senders (yay, something done properly by previous owners!) with just one being wired in and ultimately one one needed. Great, I thought, I can use the spare to replace to oil temp sender. Or so I thought.....

The old (incorrect sender) removed from the sandwich plate.

The spare sender in the head.

After some (about an hour, as Twin cam info isn't in abundance..) research I've found it's a 1/8 NPTF sender in a 3/8 BSP adapter. Previously I knew nothing about thread sizes and types, I honestly had (and still don't) have any interest in it :lol:

I gave the incorrect sender a good clean out to prevent oil/coolant contamination, as I thought I'd use it to plug the port in the head where the new sender has been lifted from.

Prepped it, ready for installation.

It didn't fit, too small #-o No problem I thought, my spare head has the original sender attached, I'll use one of those as a plug instead.

Seized solid! Even after a damn good soaking in penetrating oil they're not budging. To add to the joys none of my sockets seem to fit it properly, neither metric of imperial. They're either too big or too small :scratch: and because of where they're located it's a pain trying to get a spanner in at them. I will persist though, unless I can source a brass plug from somewhere first.

I took myself to a local pipes, valves and fittings type place, one of these that smell weird and the guy behind the counter has a really local look :flossy: . It would appear that the fittings in the sandwich plate need to be NPT, which is apparently an American thread/fitting type. Sufficed to say while he did have loads of adapters he didn't have the one I needed :roll: So I'm currently trying to work out what sizing etc the sandwich plate is, in order for me to try and source an adapter which will take allow the sender to mate up to it. Back to the internets for me then :neutral:

This is just one of the many (should be) simple tasks which leave you feeling like you've ended up with the job of carrying some jewellery to a certain mountain near a big eye :eye:

Return to “Member Profiles”