my behind the seat home made sub box

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

Re: my behind the seat home made sub box

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

That looks really great, neat job, only one question to ask though, where do you keep your t-bar roof panals if the speakers are in the way of their original position ??, cheers, Tony
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:That looks really great, neat job, only one question to ask though, where do you keep your t-bar roof panals if the speakers are in the way of their original position ??, cheers, Tony

Thanks :D To be honest I hardly have them off....maybe once or twice every couple of months, but when I do they fit nicely in the rear boot......I should have taken a pic as they were in there at that time. Iv'e been doing that for YEARS and they don't seem to get damaged, even with "spirited" driving ;)

Cheers
KiwiMR2
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

Those plans r sweet pecky, cheers saved me the trouble of working the dimensions out!! :thumleft: , wherebouts in lincs are ya, i'm constantly between scunny (home) n lincoln (work).
pecky

Post by pecky »

rev3turbo wrote:Those plans r sweet pecky, cheers saved me the trouble of working the dimensions out!! :thumleft: , wherebouts in lincs are ya, i'm constantly between scunny (home) n lincoln (work).

i live in sleaford about 18 mile from lincoln straight down a15 but spend alot of time in navenby (village bout 7mile from lincoln)
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

Well If you see a carrib. blue gts in lincoln it's prolly me cos i've never seen another one around there or infact in scunny!!!
pecky

Post by pecky »

will keep my eyes open then mate
Castlegrayskull

Post by Castlegrayskull »

Ian Geary wrote:

Hopefully there'll be some comments on here soon about the sound quality of a sub right behind you.

With it 1ft away, god know's what it would do to internal organs, yet alone sound quality.

Ian

Lets face it ... cars aren't built for subs ... they're too short by lots of metres!

From a scientific point of view the average bass waveform is about 11 metres .. now unless you've done some serious mods to your car then.... well you get the picture! ... bass in cars is always distorted just because of the pure physics of the thing!

Bottom line .. if you like the sound, and it gives you want you want .... why worry!

I currently have a 6.5" JL Audio sub in the cubbyhole behind the passenger seat it sounds crap i think (I can barely hear it) cos the amp i have is way too small ... i've stuck some 6.5" two ways in the doors and I plan on replacing the rear speakers with something better. I try to keep the car as stock looking as possible without compromising the space to put the roof .. because of this I will always suffer lack of punchy bass.
pecky

Post by pecky »

with my 10" audiobahn behind the driver seat my sub sounds fine, as for how it feel its like being kicked in the kidneys lol
Ace Rimmer

Post by Ace Rimmer »

Castlegrayskull wrote:I currently have a 6.5" JL Audio sub in the cubbyhole behind the passenger seat it sounds crap i think (I can barely hear it) cos the amp i have is way too small ... i've stuck some 6.5" two ways in the doors and I plan on replacing the rear speakers with something better. I try to keep the car as stock looking as possible without compromising the space to put the roof .. because of this I will always suffer lack of punchy bass.

Hey there,
Is it the same JL as mine? (see profile) I too wanted to keep the origninal feel of the car, place for the roof, and I find thta even with the glass behind the seat I am pushed forward.

You'r right about the little subs though, I'm planning on sticking another 3 in (makes 4), but had the idea of cutting the metal frame from the original sub and making more room that way. What does anyone reckon?? They don't actually do anything do they?
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

so that 10" design doesnt have to be ported, you went for 1 then Pecky? not 2. and any good 10" sub woofer.
philz

Post by philz »

Just to let you know that those plans are my old ones and they are only for a sub which requires a 0.6cu ft internal enclosure size. If you try to run a different sub in them it'll sound crap.

I was using a Kenwood KFC WS253 at the time which required exactly 0.6, most 10" subs require around 0.8-1.0cu ft enclosures.

Return to “ICE and Security”