Nurburgring - first trip

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

klx_boy

Re: Nurburgring - first trip

Post by klx_boy »

Excellent write up and some great pics!

I went last year in my friends Ultima GTR and it was awesome! we filled up in that very petrol station and stayed in a hotel not long from there. It had garages out the front with old cars painted on the doors?

Its a very nice place and i totally agree about the roads in belguim, my god!

Im going back next year this time in my corsa 2 litre hopefully, i dearnt take my mr2 :oops: hehe
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

I went out there for my first time last month as well helen. We were out there the 22nd to the 26th and having experienced it first hand I shall be going back again next year, if all goes well.
What I couldn't get my head around was how many brits make the journey over there. I reckon nearly every other car in the area, at the weekend, is a british one.
I think very few come away from the experience unscathed. My car's head gasket let go while I was out there. It got me home alright, but a pain none the less.
One of the biggest suprises for me was the track goes through the village of Adenau. We popped under the bridge to Aldi, got some sarnies, and then back up on the bank to watch some action.
Anyone thinking of going out, don't think just do it. Its an experience you will never forget.

Here's a few random pics.

helencooke01

Post by helencooke01 »

I see you also stayed at Hohe Acht :thumleft: :lol: :lol:

spudgun

Post by spudgun »

That we did! Frank's a decent enough chap. The other guy takes a bit of getting used to but he had a sense of humour thats for sure.

Did you see the disused ski lifts just down over the hill?

Because of the change in climate they don't get the snow they used to so these ski lifts are there just rusting away :shock:

We did wonder what the large mast was off in the distance. Any ideas? We reckon it must have been telecommunications or something.
helencooke01

Post by helencooke01 »

spudgun wrote:That we did! Frank's a decent enough chap. The other guy takes a bit of getting used to but he had a sense of humour thats for sure.

Because of the change in climate they don't get the snow they used to so these ski lifts are there just rusting away :shock:

We did wonder what the large mast was off in the distance. Any ideas? We reckon it must have been telecommunications or something.

I didn't know there was anyone else other than Frank?!! :-s
That said, we didn't really spend any time there, just somewhere to sleep and park the cars :lol:

Nope didn't see the ski lifts and I don't remember noticing a large mast in the distance... me, unobservant?! 8-[
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Nice write up helen! I'd really like to make that trip myself at some point, how much experience of track events have you got? I'd be nervous of a place like that as i have none :shock: But i'd love to make the trip never the less.
Great pictures there spudgun - thats the sort of trip i'd be very keen to go on - a bit of an mr2 outing to germany!

:clap:
fizz

Post by fizz »

Imagine how you would approch a nice winding country road that you have never driven before... and take the nurburgring in the same way.

Slow in fast out and expect the unexpected and you will be fine. Drive within your own limits and not the cars. :thumleft:
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

helencooke01 wrote:
spudgun wrote:That we did! Frank's a decent enough chap. The other guy takes a bit of getting used to but he had a sense of humour thats for sure.

I didn't know there was anyone else other than Frank?!! :-s
That said, we didn't really spend any time there, just somewhere to sleep and park the cars :lol:

Nope didn't see the ski lifts and I don't remember noticing a large mast in the distance... me, unobservant?! 8-[

The other guys name was Thomas, my other half informs me. Very camp but pleasent enough. There was also an older lady who we were never introduced to.
The 'ring is definitely the draw to the area but its a really nice place to visit other stuff. While the rest of the crowd went off to the 'ring monday evening we drove up to europes largest radio telescope. Not everyones cup of tea I grant you, but there is other stuff around there worth a look.

My laps around the track were like a frightened rabbit. I jumped out of the way of everything because so much of it is just so much faster than you.
Top tip though, if you do make the trip, get down there before breakfast in the morning. If your there for 8, which is opening time I think, there is hardly anyone there. You could get a few laps in to learn it before the hordes arrive. Frank at the hotel caters for this and does late breakfast for that reason.
The MR2OC orgainsed the one I went on and was great. Its worth a few of you getting together and getting out there.
helencooke01

Post by helencooke01 »

Rev2Mike - like Fizz says, just take it easy and don't try to overcook it! :thumleft:
That was my first time on a track and have one lined up for in a few weekends, can't wait! :mrgreen:

And Spudgun, I was totally the same in terms of having loads of really fast stuff suddenly appearing from nowhere and having to quickly get out of the way! :lol: Starts to get a bit annoying after a while though.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Yeah nice review - good to see something other than tales of traffic light olympics. (yes yes I know I am just as guilty as the rest!) :oops:

Your story has fired my imagination and also made me regret that I have to hand the keys of my REV3 Turbo tomorrow to the new buyer. :(

How did you find driving on the normal roads on the continent on your way to the track? Was it hard to keep on the right side of the road? Surely when your concentration lapses your brain starts telling you to drive on the left as you are driving your UK car?

I have driven a number of left hand drive cars in other countries but never a right hand drive.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

James Junior wrote:Yeah nice review - good to see something other than tales of traffic light olympics. (yes yes I know I am just as guilty as the rest!) :oops:

Your story has fired my imagination and also made me regret that I have to hand the keys of my REV3 Turbo tomorrow to the new buyer. :(

How did you find driving on the normal roads on the continent on your way to the track? Was it hard to keep on the right side of the road? Surely when your concentration lapses your brain starts telling you to drive on the left as you are driving your UK car?

I have driven a number of left hand drive cars in other countries but never a right hand drive.

The driving on the other side is quite easy. The only dodgy bit is when you stop to fill up with petrol or come out of a car park.

Getting there is easy, well if you have sat nav. Its about 4 1/2 to 5 hours from Dunkerque to the 'ring. Its nearly all motorway work apart from the last 20 miles or so and you end up travelling through 4 countries as well. Its not as bad as you might think.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Just thought to read this again argh bring on summer and a trip like this has to be on the cards...and a track day or two... :sunny:
helencooke01

Post by helencooke01 »

Ah hello Harry :D

We're going again in April if you fancy it :wink: :eye:
anthonyg

Post by anthonyg »

I'll be there in 2 and a bit weeks for a weeeeeeek! I can't wait, gonna use the Mak for what it was made for :mrgreen:
Azz

Post by Azz »

Wearing in the Rain?
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

All sounds good!

Im heading there in my tubby in May from Newcastle.
Getting ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, then its only a 3 hour drive! \:D/

Just in process of getting GTS Chris to sort my old suspension.
Looking forward to it, and am not going to time myself either.

Graeme
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

Planning a trip around end of July atm.

Unfortunately won't be taking the mr2 this year as I'm a little concerned about the engine and need that to take part in the Toyota sprint challenge ;)

Got a couple ideas of cars to borrow instead mind ;)

Si
MR8

Post by MR8 »

Must... go... to... Nurburgring :twisted:
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

I'm going out again during the second weekend in July.

Looking forward too it mucho already.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Great write up.

A personal question, but how much did the whole weekend cost you. Including all petrol, accomodation, food etc.

Cos I'm thinking of going in the summer too.

Return to “Driving Experiences”