[Mk2] [Generic] Searching for the oldest Mk2 on IMOC

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter C

Rob

Post by Peter C »

Rob,

Yep, I can see how you've arranged the number plate lights. Very cunning! I like what you've done with the plate, totally original and very effective. To be honest I am not so sure about fixing the central panel to the recess in the bumper. The bumper is curvy and white and the panel is edgy and black. Still cool though!

How come you're missing the front number plate surround?

IMOC should dedicate a section of the site to older MR2s, which would cater for members who are more into restoration and appreciation of the standard car. Lauren's Mk1 project would be an ideal subject and there are other members (like me) who prefer the cars the way Toyota intended.

Mk1s are already a modern classic, or youngtimers as the Germans refer to such cars. Early Mk2s (Rev1s especially) will one day reach classic status, although right now some are in jalopy phase. Cars which we regarded as scrap only a few years ago are now being seen as classics. On route home today I drove past a totally standard and spanking Nova 1.3SR, with the old skool brown Recarros and two tone (red over black) paint. It really stood out and dare I say looked cool.
inky

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Searching for the oldest Mk2 on IMOC

Post by inky »

rob shipp wrote:Hey Inky,
Yup that was me at Rogue having Matt n co sort the plate out. I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on... too busy admiring my styling changes to remember my mouse, at least I'd got the laptop!
Nice to hear from ya. You'd just got your new 2 hadn't you? Hows it going? What d'ya think to my rear mod then?

Nah, I'd had mine since May :mrgreen:

The induction kit was the only upgrade I've done, if you can call it an upgrade. Its probably a psychological thing, knowing its there makes me think its better than the original old air box. I'm back at Rogue tomorrow so they can fit my front handbrake cable. The only bad thing about going there is it makes mine look even more knackered than it really is. I like parking on badly-lit streets in the rain, so my imperfections don't show too much :oops:

I'm undecided about your plate location, its certainly different. Is your car de-badged completely? Its like a double-take because you know something's different but you have to look twice to be sure :D
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

No clue about how many were produced, although I'm pretty sure I already saw the number somewhere.

I'll try to find it...

Cheers,
Vítor
inky

Re: Rob

Post by inky »

Peter C wrote:Early Mk2s (Rev1s especially) will one day reach classic status, although right now some are in jalopy phase.

Mine especially ... it has rust where rust should not be.

I'm not looking forward to the arch replacement and paint job it needs but console myself with the thought that it won't need any more bodywork doing for a long time to come.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey again.
Pete,
I discarded the front plate holder after seeing a picture of the original toyota clay designs, thinking how good they looked then realising that without the plate holder pulling your eye to the front they look shorter, again emphasising the basic shape. Another benefit is that my temp needle dropped 2 bars immiediately afterwards. Much better airflow I imagine.
Inky,
Yeah the only badges are the toyota emblems front and back. The bootlid is 2nd hand off one of the spoilerless coupes.
I'm back at Rogue myself soon. Turbo X bar rear strutbar and a front undertray I'd lost to be fitted. Oh and I'm painting the calipers orange...
Being at Rogues a bit like being 6 again in a sweet shop isn't it?
inky

Post by inky »

rob shipp wrote:I'm painting the calipers orange...

I got given some red caliper paint months ago, still haven't got round to doing it - how lazy?

rob shipp wrote:Being at Rogues a bit like being 6 again in a sweet shop isn't it?

Mmmm .. specially when you see those Rev 6 front headlights.

When does their January sale start? :lol:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Patrick......?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Oh and Peter.....
Rolling road day with a few spots left in Birmingham, Mar 3rd. Check the events section, I've just signed up.
R.
inky

Post by inky »

My chassis number is up in the 28000 area, I checked it last night but forgot.

So I might have one of the latest Rev 1s?
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

Mine's 34351 - and that's a Rev1. Just under 60,000 Revision One's were made, and then in total, including Revision 3's just over 106,000 MR2's were made. A LOT of revision one's then!!
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I know your talking about Sw20's but I just thought I would mention that my friend had the very first AW11 in the country. His brother owned a dealership at the time and it was brought over as a demonstrator to get advance orders. Loads of peoole used to stop and stare thinking it was a Ferrari! LOL!!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Come on then! Somebody out there knows...
How many rev 1's were made?
And rev2's, 3's, 4's and 5's.

Anyone?
SwissHeavy

Post by SwissHeavy »

I gave u half the answer in my last post :lol: :roll:

Revision 1 - December 1989 to December 1991
Chassis JT163SW2000000001 to JT163SW2000059265 (so 59265 Rev1's)

Revision 2 - December 1991 to November 1993
Chassis JT163SW2000059266 to JT163SW2000087385 (28119 Rev2's etc etc etc)

Revision 3 - November 1993 to June 1996
Chassis JT163SW2000087386 to JT163SW2000106662

Revision 4 - June 1996 to December 1997
Chassis JT163SW2000106663 to JT163SW2000110780 (Approx)

Revision 5 - December 1997 to August 1999
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy »

More Revision 1s produced in just over a year than the rest of the range put togeter, although they did stop selling the MR2 in the USA in 1995 which might account for the xxx in production and the fact that it was now a "old" design.

Love my Rev 1!! MWA! :tongue:
greeny

Post by greeny »

ive got a 89 rev1, il check the belts!

how cool would it be to have #1 off the line!
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

Greeny, I look forward to what you've discovered.

Is there such a thing as a friendly Toyota dealer which might be able to help with finding out the exact build date of my MR2? Unless I am mistaken Fulton Toyota who originally supplied my car no longer exist.

Peter
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey again Peter. Welcome to the '89 club Greeny!
Not sure even toyota will be able to give an exact build date. I reckon month and year is as close as we'll get.
You joining us for the rolling road on the 3rd? Saw your post in the events forum...
Still not got a figure for how many mk2s in total. Theres 2yrs of rev5s not counted yet... It does look like they were slowing down towards the end though.
R
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

Rob,

I've got my name down for the Brum RR session. Awaiting confirmation that I've been accepted.

I had no idea that Rev1s were the most plentiful, especially as you don't see so many nowadays.

Come on guys, what's the total figure?

Peter
stevek

89 rev 1

Post by stevek »

Hi guys just read this for the first time i have a 1989 rev 1 gt turbo not sure which month it was registered but will check when i get home tonight.
Regards Steve and its the best colour. (Black)
Peter C

MR2

Post by Peter C »

Welcome to the 1989 club SteveK!

Just as well our car's weren't made in 1969.

Anybody else?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”