[All] [Generic] Which ECU would you choose from the list below and why?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt_mr2t

Re: [All] [Generic] Which ECU would you choose from the list below and why?

Post by matt_mr2t »

ECU controlls alot more than just the engine I think?
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

i use a PFC Andy, and i dont get any jerking around when driving normally. Maybe the guy who mapped yours didnt do the cruise map very well??

And as for none of us listen?? Its a forum, we put our point across.

If you look at the first post in this thread he lists the Motec as £2500 vs the emerald £1000 im guessing he has done his homework and that price is fitted and mapped so if its a good guideline then you will make a saving of........... £1500

Your view is Motec Motec Motec - nothing else is good enough. My view is for the road there are plenty other capable ECU's to rival the Motec and at a smaller cost.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
steve b

Post by steve b »

matt_mr2t wrote:ECU controlls alot more than just the engine I think?

Thers not much else to an mx5 other than engine.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Mark Edwards wrote:he also did the map for the evo fq400 for your information. 8)

doesn't that have a MPG of 4 :-k
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

if apexi do a PFC for the mx5 , i'd get that.
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

nathanfreke wrote:i use a PFC Andy, and i dont get any jerking around when driving normally. Maybe the guy who mapped yours didnt do the cruise map very well??

And as for none of us listen?? Its a forum, we put our point across.

If you look at the first post in this thread he lists the Motec as £2500 vs the emerald £1000 im guessing he has done his homework and that price is fitted and mapped so if its a good guideline then you will make a saving of........... £1500

Your view is Motec Motec Motec - nothing else is good enough. My view is for the road there are plenty other capable ECU's to rival the Motec and at a smaller cost.

You know who maps mine!!
I don't give a xxxx anymore what ecu people buy, i used to want to try and save people money by not making the mistakes i did by buying unknown crap that looks and sounds good.

This will be my last post on here, you will be glad to know :)
How can i compete with a "pro race driver" who has a "Monster" power road mr2!!
I bet you disappear within 6 to 12 months, just as fast as you appeared.
Good bye
Century Motorsport

ha ha, whats that got to do with anything Andy? I dont bring up the fact that i race every 2 seconds do i? I also dont shove my setup down peoples throat do i?

I am merely giving my opinion - i know who maps your ECU now but you instigated that if you dont go motec you will get sick of all the jerking when driving smooth so something obviously has made you say it - im guessing a previous experience. My point was that i have a power FC and i dont get any jerking at all when driving smooth.

Just because i am fairly new to the forum it doesnt mean i dont know what im taking about - i infact run a Race team which has been Established since 1996 www.centurymotorsport.com

We cover all aspects of motorsport from, race car setup, driver tuition, race engine building - everything. So i do know a fair bit. But if not being a hard core member on here for over 10 years doesnt qualify me to give my opinion then so be it.

What exactly have you acheived again? As i dont want to compete with someone who has been on this forum for years as they OBVIOUSLY know more than me.

i bet you disappear within 6 to 12 months, just as fast as you appeared.

If i do its probably because ill be in the states earning lots of money being a 'pro racer' :-#

Bye, have a nice time.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
steve b

Post by steve b »

steve b wrote:
Andy F wrote:Im pretty sure Fraser Makeller was selling them at £800 +,could be wrong though!!
Whats the point anyway, no one listerns on here :roll:

:thumleft: Just sent them an email, asked about fitting & mapping too,.. be interesting to see what they quote. :)

Just had a reply, £4 less than owens for the ECU, but MUCH cheaper to map & fit. Breakdown was :-

£895+VAT ECU
£300 + VAT loom
£350+VAT mapping

So brings the motec closer cost wise, many thanks for the tip :thumleft:
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

How can i compete with a "pro race driver" who has a "Monster" power road mr2!!
I bet you disappear within 6 to 12 months, just as fast as you appeared.
Good bye

No need to spit the dummy out!!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I speak to Andy a decent bit outside the forum and he's a very helpfull down to earth guy.

I think his point is he has spent plenty of money over the years had a few engine problems and in my opinion knows quite a bit about the MR2. I'm guessing when someone be-littles his advise he gets a little peeved. Who can blame him, Andy's been on the forum for ages and I think the thing that drives most of the old boys (sorry mate) away is when someone try's to argue what they are saying isn't true. When it is purely advice and there opinion built up over considerable time.

The motec has to be argued as one of the most competent ECU's on the market. I have chosen AEM...................but because I live where I do it is not easy for me to get to a mappers who can map Motec, or fit it, and I won't entertain Fensport prices.

To be fair the PFC is a fairly decent low cost ECU, but I got warned that for my goal of over 400bhp I should be looking at something with better control and intergrated output functions etc. I will still have an engine warning light, which PFC doesn't do for a start AFAIK. The more you spend as a rule the more you get. The Motec does a whole host of functions the PFC cannot and it is therefore alltogether a better and more competent piece of engineering when compared to the PFC. Why spend £3-6k on an engine and scrimp a few hundred quid on an ECU which doesn't do quite what you want.

I'd go for Motec/AEM/Link G1. The final decision has to be based upon finiding someone local who can help with install and mapping.

P.S

Why do nearly all of the top cars at santa pod run Motec???? They only need it to run down 500yrds (ish) as fast as possible, they don't need to worry about cruise maps or cold start maps, why not bung on a PFC and save some time and money?

Again just a 2p's worth

Jim
steve b

Post by steve b »

Just found a 2nd hand MoTeC, waiting for a price \:D/ General advise from various sources say MoTeC, Link G3 or Emerald3d are the ones to choose from, Emeralds the biggest distance away from me so I'm thinking either MoTeC or if I can't get the price down LinkG3 now.
michael

Post by michael »

Jimbob - who are you using to map the AEM?
EarL

Post by EarL »

It's a sad day to hear that Andy Forster is no longer going to post on here. I for one value his experience and knowledge, and also know how long he's spent tuning his car. It's a shame that other members can't see that.

I initially viewed the PFC as a solution for my car, but after thinking hard about what I wanted from it, I decided that long term, the MoTeC was the best way to go, for a number of different reasons.

1. If I change cars, I can take the unit it with me, have it mapped and away to go.

2. More functions and better data logging capabilites (M400+)

3. Long term support. MoTeC is renown for it's incredible support back up. something that can't be said for the PFC.

4. Excellent mappers. (not saying there aren't excellent PFC mappers BTW).

I opted for the latest M400+ unit after discussing it with Andi, and even though it was an expensive option, I'm 100% positive I made the right choice - for me!
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Century Motorsport

Jimbob, i wasnt undermiming Andy. I never meant for him to take offense. My point was purely that there are other capable ECU's out there as well as the Motec. Im not doubting the Motec is one of the best out there - its been proven time and time again. Im just saying that maybe for the use its going to get a cheaper option could be a good idea and put the money into another mod. I think Andy was more angry about my point of cost, which is my fault as i used Steve B's prices as a guide line and it seems that the motec can be obtained cheaper so i did pm Andy and apolagize for it and we resolved it. I dont want to offend anyone.

Just because ive only been on the forum 18months it doesnt mean i have no knowledge about anything. I am very impressed in what ive seen from the guys at emerald. I guess i have a more of an interest in them as they ran their ecu in Nitron's elise with amazing results (until the car caught fire!!) and i know the guys at Nitron very well.

Im currently running a PFC and want to upgrade for a better ECU with more features. If i come accross a cheap Motec i will get it - but i like the look of the emerald and also the AEM. If i had all the money in the world i would be buying a Motec or a Pectel.

I am not doubting the knowledge of Andy and never did in any of my posts. I was just looking at the other side of the coin - was i wrong to do that?

Nathan
michael

Post by michael »

EarL wrote:It's a sad day to hear that Andy Forster is no longer going to post on here. I for one value his experience and knowledge, and also know how long he's spent tuning his car. It's a shame that other members can't see that.

I think he's a gheylord ;)
EarL

Post by EarL »

michael wrote:
EarL wrote:It's a sad day to hear that Andy Forster is no longer going to post on here. I for one value his experience and knowledge, and also know how long he's spent tuning his car. It's a shame that other members can't see that.

I think he's a gheylord ;)

*slap* :lol:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
steve b

Post by steve b »

Had a good detailed reply off Thor about the G3 Link :thumleft: , unfortunately it doesn't do sequential injection and they charge in addition to the basical setup & map cost to setup a boost control solinoid run from the ECU :(

fingers crossed the 2nd hand motecs a good price, else I may stick with the Emerald, Its appearing nothing can beat the emerald for good value.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

steve b

Post by steve b »

I've only been told to avoid omex so far...
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Interesting, what have you heard about them?

I've heard they're very cost effective ECU's for a hard high power map but you'd probably not get the driveability you could out of a motec.

Return to “Modifications”