TRD V6 - Yay or Nay?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

What do we think?

Go for it!
55%
For the love of god don't do it!
45%

Total votes: 22

jonb-

Re: TRD V6 - Yay or Nay?

Post by jonb- »

I love dis-information.

TRD built the engine to the customers spec. If they just wanted a body kit and an induction filter then that's all they got.

No one has found a v8 that will fit in a mk2, i think it's the gearbox that's the main problem. MK1's do have more room and there's already v8 mk1's in the states.

In my opinion, as you'd be buying one with out a trd modded engine put whatever you like in. It's just a sodding car.
ugli-stix

Post by ugli-stix »

jonb- wrote:I love dis-information.

Was that in general to this thread? Or a particular post?
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

jonb- wrote: It's just a sodding car.

:shock:
450wbhp comming soon
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

TRD built the engine to the customers spec. If they just wanted a body kit and an induction filter then that's all they got.

No one has found a v8 that will fit in a mk2, i think it's the gearbox that's the main problem. MK1's do have more room and there's already v8 mk1's in the states.
In my opinion, as you'd be buying one with out a trd modded engine put whatever you like in. It's just a sodding car.

I think you'll find a guy is doing it now in America almost in competition with Paul but afaik no ones done it yet.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

matt_mr2t wrote:

I think you'll find a guy is doing it now in America almost in competition with Paul but afaik no ones done it yet.

http://www.v8mr2.com/
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Talk about a can of worms :D

Yes it is our deposit money, I was actually thinking

how many houses are there - how many trd cars

Im renting at the moment so not really a problem as far as i see it... my partner will prob feel differently but nothing ventured nothing gained.

I was just after peoples opinions and i think its pretty clear that in general this would be considered to be detrimental.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Thanks Matt :)

ugli-stix wrote:

Was that in general to this thread? Or a particular post?

In general towards how the TRD project was ran. Everyone expects TRD's to have HKS blueprinted engines and to be running mega horses but this isn't always the case.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

:D I did say in general mate!

i guess im offending everyone today :(
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

what are peeps on, if the engine hasnt been trd prepped, then whats the bid deal fitting a different more powerful engine...

how on earth could it devalue it if the engine is virtually a standard rev2 engine in a trd shell???
i can only asume were talking about th elovely kitted red one for sale......

as mentioned, each trd was individually prepped, that one clearly just had a kit and wheels on, stock engine....(with non trd engine mods to uprate it a little)......
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Hi Jim
Yeah thats the one.
That was my thought really, I understand that ripping out a TRD uber lump would be just wrong, and an act of lunacy, but i think this is slightly different.

I'd like to give the car an engine that it deserves and would be very happy with either a supercharged V6 or just take the existing lump to the next level. Id like to see the car reach its full potential however that may be realised.

Just my thoughts.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

just go do it.

its only a standard mr2 with a nice kit on whatever anyone says.

dare to be different :)

paul
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It's strange how people think they can have an opinion on your car because it's a 'rare' one. :wink: Though I'd take issue with it being 'just a standard car with a kit on'!!!

However, personally I can't see a problem with it!! Yes that's right people, at this moment I am considering stripping out mine and fitting a rollcage, buckets and harnesses....TRD of course but I'm sure some people will think its a crime. :)

However, would I buy it if it was my only car? No. These cars are rare and IMHO should be bought to be cherished and brought out only rarely. Using it everyday will devalue it faster than changing the engine. All IMHO.

T
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

i guess im offending everyone today

No, just interesting banter !

As someone else said... if you want a widebody with a V6 then go and build one from a dog... far cheaper and doesn't affect the limited edition run of genuine TRD widebodies.

Anyway - buy the house; get out of rented accommodation. You'll not regret it. Then drop a V6 in your NA and off you jolly well go. Brum, brum... \:D/
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Just do it mate! It'd be well awesome.

You'd have probably the only v6 TRD in the world. That engine belongs in a mk2 and i'm sure you wont regret it.

Yes TRD's are rare, but the engine is just another 3S-GTE... why not do something unique. You'd probably get a mint for selling the engine on feebay. =P~
ImageImage
speedmaster

Post by speedmaster »

someone have pics or links for trd cars,where i can buy original trd cars???????????????????????
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

Drop the V6 in and then add the TRD supercharger .. and all the other TRD bits of bling for the engine bay.

If it's a stock(ish) rev2 block, who cares.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

someone have pics or links for trd cars,where i can buy original trd cars???????????????????????

Very rare. Do a Google image search for pictures. On this forum I think two are for sale - Jurgen and GordR I think.
ugli-stix

Post by ugli-stix »

I don't think Jurgen's is original though. :-k
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It'd be cheaper all round though to get a base car, fit the TRD kit, V6 engine etc than to pay £15k for a genuine TRD car and lower the performce lol.

It all seems like a huge waste of money AND it'll probably de-value the car any way.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”