IMOC Flyers

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

Re: IMOC Flyers

Post by BenF »

What are you planning then - something along the lines of an A4 sheet with repeated 'cards' on that people can cut out and distribute?
michael

Post by michael »

I contacted Dave re the font and he offered to produce the cards as it's the sort of thing he does on a daily basis.

My own thoughts are that there should be two sizes available - one an A4 sheet with as many business card sized flyers on as possible, simple and to the point, logo and URL with maybe one line of text and another that's A5 so two to a page of A4 with a bit more info on.

They should be able to look OK in colour or B&W.

What it needs is some thought to a one line statement that sums up IMOC to a potential new person and for the larger flyer a summary of the advantages of joining up. Once we have these Dave should be OK to knock something up so suggestions are welcomed :)

One liner for business card:

Text for A5 flyer:
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

michael wrote:suggestions are welcomed :)

Do they have to be serious? :lol:
michael

Post by michael »

Aidy wrote:
michael wrote:suggestions are welcomed :)

Do they have to be serious? :lol:

Of course not ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tonigmr2 wrote:Mark has an 'MR2 font' IIRC, I can see if its available for general use?
T

I am sure Mark will have no problem if you simply ask him first, I think thats just common courtesy.

What really annoys him is when other people (Mitch in this case) say they have the font and offer it for use.

I believe that Mark may well have a better version of the font than his earlier versions which have been copied to oblivion. I'll ask him
Last edited by Lauren on Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Update

Post by Lauren »

Have just spoken to Mark,

He said that he is happy to revise the font as there are some bad mistakes in it (he says).
shish

Post by shish »

imoc can of course use the font, thats one of the reasons why it was created in the first place.

I could start work on it again and fix all the mistakes that are in it...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

shish wrote:imoc can of course use the font, thats one of the reasons why it was created in the first place.

I could start work on it again and fix all the mistakes that are in it...

Cheers Mark, much appriciated.
michael

Post by michael »

Lauren wrote:
What really annoys him is when other people (Mitch in this case) say they have the font and offer it for use.

I've had the font for years, it's been available for download on a few versions of the IMOC sites as well as elsewhere, it's a font - is Mark losing royalties if people distribute it?

The version I have is from June 17th 1998 and states a Copyright 1990-1993 for Bitstream Inc (the font packaging company?) - I don't see any other names on there.

If you are going to start getting picky I suggest you appoint legal assistance and start contacting these people:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... arch&meta=

Just ask me to remove the font from my site and I will, I'm not out to score points by helping people out with an easy download, I have the font, I'm willing to share it - it's no big deal, it's just a font. (And looks like a mildly modified variant of the other 100 similar and freely available fonts out there :roll: )

Apologies for using the letter 'A' in this message if anyone owns the copyright to it :roll:
michael

Post by michael »

$24.75 for the very similar Handel Gothic font, perhaps you should start invoicing everyone who has it available for download?
shish

Post by shish »

michael wrote:
Lauren wrote:

I've had the font for years, it's been available for download on a few versions of the IMOC sites as well as elsewhere, it's a font - is Mark losing royalties if people distribute it?

The version I have is from June 17th 1998 and states a Copyright 1990-1993 for Bitstream Inc (the font packaging company?) - I don't see any other names on there.

if your disputing that it was i that created the font (which is based on handel gothic) i can only assume you have forgotten, because i know you have been on imoc since its inception and the original link to the font was posted on there.

if your still not convinced you can see my original fontographer file:

I dont make any 'royalties' from it, what i dont like is when people claim the font as their own, hell i have even seen people selling it!

i'll begin work on 'version 2' and let the admins use it
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Easy Michael, we've got the nod from Mark to use his FOC.

I suspect there are different 'MR2' fonts circulating out there.

I actually wondered if you ment the font the IMOCUK is on across the front of the page, or the font below that.

The Idea of business cards, A5 and A4 Fliers sounds spot on to me.

Does Dave need some cash to do a run of the cards and fliers? The Admins would be in princple happy to pay for an inital print run, depending on the costs etc ..

Ben.
Last edited by BenF on Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Post by michael »

shish wrote:
if your disputing that it was i that created the font (which is based on handel gothic) i can only assume you have forgotten, because i know you have been on imoc since its inception and the original link to the font was posted on there.

You don't need to defend yourself, I *know* you did the work to make it an MR2 font rather than the similar ones out there, as you say I was around when you first made it available. I've just always been under the impression that you created it so that it could be distributed amongst the MR2 community - however some of the recent posts have suggested that there is a problem with people like myself having a copy uploaded to distribute if anyone needs it. Fair enough maybe I should highlight that it's your work when I present the link but I'm only saying "I have the MR2 font" not "look at this font I've created" :)

I dont make any 'royalties' from it, what i dont like is when people claim the font as their own, hell i have even seen people selling it!

I appreciate your annoyance, the royalties comment was very much tongue in cheek but it is sad to hear that people are trying to profit from it when I've always thought it was just something available to all.

Anyway it's a great font, it's served me well over the years and I appreciate you taking the time to adjust it for us.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Michael,

I think a simple credit to Mark when you distribute the font would suffice.

It is the same thing i ask for when i've had articles published. I simply state that yes publish my article on your website, no probs as long as you credit me. Just as a courtesy thats all.

I'm not picking on you especially its just simply a case of credit where its due.
michael

Post by michael »

Lauren wrote:I think a simple credit to Mark when you distribute the font would suffice.

I've done that on a random basis for 5+ years now, you highlight one case when I don't and suddenly I'm a super crook ;)

I'm not picking on you especially

Yes you are, I'm the only person getting their good name dragged through the mud here ;)

its just simply a case of credit where its due.

Credit has been given many, many times - I'll try to be more giving in future though :salut:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:
Lauren wrote:I think a simple credit to Mark when you distribute the font would suffice.

I've done that on a random basis for 5+ years now, you highlight one case when I don't and suddenly I'm a super crook ;)

I'm not picking on you especially

Yes you are, I'm the only person getting their good name dragged through the mud here ;)

its just simply a case of credit where its due.

Credit has been given many, many times - I'll try to be more giving in future though :salut:

Don't worry too much its just my natural defensiveness coming to the fore. ;)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Michael,

Just wondering how far you got with printing business cards etc? Can you drop me a PM or email as the Admins have been chatting about sorting flyers, business cards, stickers, mechandise in time for JAE etc

Ta
michael

Post by michael »

I gave up.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

You got anything at all done then ?
michael

Post by michael »

BenF wrote:You got anything at all done then ?

Yeah I contacted Dave (as mentioned previously) and he agreed to come up with a design.

Return to “Club News and Announcements”