Insurance Claim (car write off :().

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dame

Re: Insurance Claim (car write off :().

Post by Dame »

Some news. I was contacted by the 3rd party insurer and after some negotiation I have managed to get £3.5k for the car which I've accepted (didn't think I'd get anywhere near that amount). Fortunately they sent an independent engineer who understood the rarity of the cars.

I've bought the car back and have just shy of £3k to restore her. I need to disassemble the back-end and take some pictures to send to my local accident repair centre who have a realignment jig so will find out soon whether they think it will pull out. If not I'll have to reconsider but on an initial inspection without the bits removed they think it might not be as bad as it looks. Will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the support, I think this is a pretty good result. Annoyingly, the car will be written off which will affect the ongoing value, but since I've had it for 18 years already it is highly unlikely I will ever sell her (assuming I can get her fixed!)
markr1

Post by markr1 »

Everything is repairable even if you have to buy a scrap car and cut off what you need a good body shop will sort that just don't go to a large insurance approved bodyshop as the won't have the time of day for that kind of job😆
Dame

Post by Dame »

Good advice mate. The guys who did the sills and respray are really good so I'm hoping they'll be up for the challenge. They don't do jigging but fortunately there's a very good local garage that does. The guys did an independent report for me and were really nice and knowledgeable. There are no guarantees she'll pull out, but fingers crossed she does.

I may need some bits from scrap cars but since it's the backend, NA UK, Import cars have all the same metalwork which greatly broadens my chances!
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

markr1 wrote:Everything is repairable ….

If you want to throw enough money at it.

But thats a good result, the written off status will affect it's value but if you worked out what is has cost you per year in miles:smiles:£ ratio you will have done ok! Like you say, why sell it ever if you have had it that long.
Dame

Post by Dame »

Precisely, in 18 years it really has cost me very little. Having said that I'm not intending to repair it at any cost, if I can't get it straightened then it's game over. If I can get it straightened then I don't think the rest of the repair work will be too bad, but I will carefully cost everything first!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Best of luck to you.

R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”