Limited Slip Diffs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gavsdavs

Re: Limited Slip Diffs

Post by gavsdavs »

masterbateson wrote:
BTW can you get quaife LSD's for 2's? anyone lavish enough to have purchased and fitted one? hows it drive any noticeable difference to a standard LSD.

I have a quaife LSD. I had an E153 with a toyota LSD in beforehand and i thought it was crap. I don't think it worked properly. It was reasonably easy to spin up the inside wheel on sharp corners under power.

The quaife has a tendancy to make the car understeer now, both rear tyres grip and drive the car straight forward.

Having said I haven't had a huge amount of experience with cars with LSD, this is just what I know about my own.
cosmos

LSD

Post by cosmos »

If you go to Toyota with the chassis No. and model No. they can bring up the original purchase order and tell what specs and extra's the car was built with. Im going back 10 yrs or so might be worth a try, but might not be the original g/box.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

My diff code is 472, same as my friends Rev3 NA - I'm pretty sure 472 is not LSD.
danjama

Post by danjama »

I'd like to know if my Rev 3 turbo has or had an LSD. It's much harder to get controllably sideways than my old Rev 2 turbo despite having more power, but that doesn't really tell me much as I don't know if the Rev 2 had an LSD.

I'm curious about the post on the previous page, about a Viscous LSD being mostly open by now. What does that mean exactly? How so? Doesn't that make most of these discussions kind of moot?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

danjama wrote:I'd like to know if my Rev 3 turbo has or had an LSD. It's much harder to get controllably sideways than my old Rev 2 turbo despite having more power, but that doesn't really tell me much as I don't know if the Rev 2 had an LSD.

I'm curious about the post on the previous page, about a Viscous LSD being mostly open by now. What does that mean exactly? How so? Doesn't that make most of these discussions kind of moot?

There's a few different types of LSD. A viscous LSD is a common choice for a road car because they aren't 'grabby' like a clutch or gear based one, and are very progressive so they are unlikely to catch out an unaware average driver. They use a high viscosity oil and a stack of perforated discs. As the speed difference (not torque difference, viscous LSDs are speed sensing) the difference between the rotating speed on each side increases, which causes friction, and you get a progressive locking effect. Until you cook it, that is!

The viscous fluid will deteriorate over time due to heat. the oil degrades, just like gearbox oil or engine oil does. How quickly this happens depends on usage. When this happens, the diff will essentially behave like an open diff.

The vast majority of VLSD's are sealed, and not designed to have the fluid changed. However, some companies are able to do it by carefully drilling drain and fill holes into the casing. No idea if anyone does that for the MR2 LSD. Probably not. Was certainly more common years ago with Ford VLSD's.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Judging by the rather large onesie I left on my long, tarmac, private driveway, 472 is not an LSD.
SebW20

Post by SebW20 »

Yeah... was giving it some coming out of a junction the other day and all the power was going to the unloaded rear wheel.

Dissapointing; especially given the owners manual is basically lying saying that the car has one..!
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

masterbateson wrote:
If manufacturers go to all the trouble of making and fitting a LSD, why is it some people weld there's up? [Question] [Confused] [Question]

What the idea behind that one?

It's a cheap way of modifying older live axle vehicles that costs very little, and works pretty well.

I believe this is done in drag racing to ensure 50/50 drive always, as you are going straight on only, and in drifting as it's allot easier to spin the rear in a car with no differential.

masterbateson wrote:
And also why is it if clever old manufacturers develop clever old ABS systems do some people decide they can brake better without it? [Confused] [Question]

Because (in the case of the MR2) the ABS system is rubbish, and a driver with decent feel who is practiced at threshold braking can brake far better than it.

What he said, although in theory, if the ABS works properly being able to properly threshold brake wouldn't require removal of the system. Some people thinks it's either too aggressive, or not aggressive enough or something, and don't want the extra weight. ABS means not losing traction completely , and thus being being able to steer whilst, breaking with force enough to lock the wheels. ABS doesn't help you brake, it prevents you locking the wheels, and is only meant to only kick in at the very extreme, when you've overcome the friction your tyres have with the road.

masterbateson wrote:
BTW can you get quaife LSD's for 2's?

Yes.

Yup, but for SW20's it's only designed for the open diff rev1 turbo box. It'll work in other E153 revs if you swap the plastic speedo drive, and I believe a couple of bolts. I don't think there's one available for the S54.

masterbateson wrote:
anyone lavish enough to have purchased and fitted one?

Yes- there are a good few MR2's out there with one fitted.

I will do this ASAP. P being in like 2 yrs. :-( buying a house has ruined my car plans.

masterbateson wrote:
hows it drive any noticeable difference to a standard LSD.

It works

From all the review's I've read, they work very very well, in pretty much everything. Clutch based LSD's are A very grabby and B have consumable, wearing parts. They are adjustable, but you have to remove and tear down the box to adjust them. But they are 2 way, which helps if you expect to have a wheel of the ground at any point. [/quote]

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”