Leaky T-Bar - I know, I know!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jayelem

Re: Leaky T-Bar - I know, I know!

Post by jayelem »

tmwsccsh wrote:Hi all,

I know this has been covered many times but I'm currently at a bit of a loss.

I have so far tried...

- Cling film and Silicone Sealant
- Rubber Rejuvenator
- Eccentric Rod Guides

... yet still the drivers side leaks - quite badly in heavy rain. I did also spot that the drain holes were blocked and cleared them out but still I have an ingress...

The roof panel currently sits a bit too high I think and I can push it down further when the locking pins are not in pla
Can anyone give any other pointers as to how I can stop water getting in - buy a fixed roof is not the answer :)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW
sent you pm
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

tmwsccsh

It might help if you said in more detail where the water is getting in. Maybe post pics pointing at all the places.

Replacing the rubbers is the last resort as it is the most expensive option.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

i did mine recently you dont need to remove the trim just carefully with a very small flay head screwdriver pry the old one out. :)
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

rev3gtturbo wrote:tmwsccsh

It might help if you said in more detail where the water is getting in. Maybe post pics pointing at all the places.

Replacing the rubbers is the last resort as it is the most expensive option.

Hi,

Alas, I can't post pics as I don't have enough posts yet :-(

However, having now fitted the eccentric rod guides to the roof panel and also the ones in the A and B pillars and I am still getting wet I have now gone for an alternative approach.

The water is getting in at the front and rear of the rubbers where the seal would be formed (so where the roof panel drops into) - from the outside they look tight enough but from the inside there is clearly some daylight coming through.

So, to my alternative approach. I have just ordered a sheet of self-adhesive rubber 2mm and 3mm thick (total cost £3.90). I am going to cut this to size and put it on the end of the rubber on the roof panel front and back and also run it up onto the underside of the glass where it sits on the rubber on the A and B pillar. Then get a sharp knife and cut it to shape to match the rubber on the roof panel.

Idea is to try the 2mm first (it will give me an extra 4mm in total on the seals) if I do that. It will give me a tighter seal on the roof panel and won't be visible from the outside.

Rubber should be with me Thursday so this will be next weekends project, weather permitting. Just means we will get some more water inside if it rains between now and then (which it obviously will - it's England!).

Will advise how it goes...

TMW
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have had leaks at one or both of those points.

It can be because the Tbar has been off and not quite put back on the same way and it will still latch down as there is a bit of wiggle room.

Other than that it gives me the hint I need to use the rubber restorer/rejuvenator (so I then do all the accessible surfaces of the rubbers on the tbars, the roof, the door pillars, the doors, and boot lid and bonnet).
I saw from your first post you have tried that.

This might be a daft question, but when you use the rejuvenator do you give the rubber plenty of time to expand before you put the Tbars back on?
I will usually leave them off over night in a garage and the Tbars are a much tighter fit after that.
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

Hi,

Alas I don't have a garage I can put her in otherwise I would do so. I could only let the rejuvenator work for about 6-7 hours before I had to put the tops back in - car sits out the front of the house - on the driveway but still easily accessible.

Once the spring comes I am going to give it another doing and try to leave it for longer. Hopefully my sticky rubber trick will work though...

TMW
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying to those who are following this thread.

I have now done the rubber extensions to the end of the seals on the t-bar with the sticky back rubber and after putting the panel back in I am pleased to say that there was no leak from the edges where the seals are. Result. :clap:

However....

It was still coming in about a third of the way along the window. Could not figure out at all where it was getting in so I did a few tests inside and outside and then spotted it - the top of the door glass is not making a tight enough contact with the T-Bar panel seal so there was an ingress point. ](*,) So, hammer out and the door jam was adjusted as per the service manual instructions. It improved it but alas was still lacking slightly.

My solution was to put some thin strips of the sticky back rubber along the whole of the seal where the window meets it to form a larger seal. This is only temporary until I figure out a better way or can give the rubber rejuvenator a go again in the spring. But it stops the water getting in for now and is not really that noticeable so I am pleased. I think I saw somewhere that you can adjust the position of the rubber on the t-bar panel so I may revisit that as well.

I think looking at the roof panel that this was probably not the original for the car and it has been replaced at some point as it does sit so high up, even with eccentric rod guides in both the A and B pillars and also on the panel itself - am going to be on the look out soon for a replacement 2nd hand one that is a better fit - problems will all be over then - hopefully!

So that's where we are with things...

TMW
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

aye leaking t-bars can be a git for trying to seal up. Like you my car sits outside so leaving the tops off with the rubber rejuvenator doing it's thing just isn't going to work. Sounds like you've made progress which is great, nice dry seats to sit on is a good start to any drive :thumleft:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

tmwsccsh wrote:
I think looking at the roof panel that this was probably not the original for the car and it has been replaced at some point as it does sit so high up, even with eccentric rod guides in both the A and B pillars and also on the panel itself

My old car was like that... I dont think that is the cause of your leak as my car was ok if I used the rejuvenator a few times a year.
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

Hi all,

Just an update for you - 2 months on and the temporary rubber seal extension is still holding strong and no more leaks.

I have bought some more rubber in readiness to replace but the roof has been on and off many times and still it works fine.

To be honest, I think I may just leave it as-is for now - it works and it's dry in there!

TMW
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

sounds a great plan! If it works, leave well alone :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”