forged pistons recommendations

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Odin_S

Re: forged pistons recommendations

Post by Odin_S »

Wosser, i used this company. The only one I know of that can supply low CP pistons
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

http://www.steelconrods.co.uk they sell wossner in the uk, ive never used them for anything though so can't really say anything about their customer service etc.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Wow so it looks like you can't get CP pistons in the UK anymore - I presume this is what GTS used to supply? I've looked long and hard but can't find UK supplier.

Wossner good shout but come in at like £200 more expensive than the US CP price! (Yeah I know I've got import tax etc)

I have a US office at work which I'm friendly with..... can they send me a gift without me paying all the VAT and import tax? Mind they're unreliable so I'd rather not go down that route if possible...

Edit: have found BCD racing in leeds that sell CP ..... at £599! I must be able to do better than that eh?!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

CP are a bit more expensive than the usual JE pistons etc...There's Wossners on ebay (brand new) for less than that just now though, they are every bit as good as the Carrilos. £599 isn't far off what CPs usually are.

EDIT: there's not a lot you can do to avoid import charges, Customs seem to be on to the old "gift" scam. I've had a few things sent as gifts lately and they have all had customs charges :(

:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

I get most of my parts from Ebay.com, and these guys are great on price and quick delivery- they are very helpful as well:

http://realstreetperformance.com/
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:I get most of my parts from Ebay.com, and these guys are great on price and quick delivery- they are very helpful as well:

http://realstreetperformance.com/

Just to add to this. A lot of the ebay stores will show you the customs charges on checkout, you pay for them there and then so no unexpected charges upon delivery :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

I've not had to pay customs charges on the last couple of orders from Real Street...so it's luck of the draw sometimes...
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks guys.

OK I'm looking at pistons ... why is it they are all listed as CR of 9.0:1 and not the stock 8.5:1?

What do people usually run, 8 or 8.5?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:Thanks guys.

OK I'm looking at pistons ... why is it they are all listed as CR of 9.0:1 and not the stock 8.5:1?

because they are listed without the head gasket taken into consideration. 9:1 is fine, the stock had gasket brings that down to 8:5:1 :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Great! Thanks Shep :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Have a chat with them on live chat- I'm pretty sure they can get 8.5:1.0 or even 8.0:1.0 from CP for you by special order...but you need to know what diameter you can get away with first :thumleft:

From my experiences 9.0:1.0 pistons with a stock HG gets you to ~8.7:1.0 compression ratio...but that was with Wiseco pistons. I'd be looking for 8.5:1.0 from CP, which (again from my experiences) gets you to ~8.3:1.0 with a 1mm HG.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:

Have a chat with them on live chat- I'm pretty sure they can get 8.5:1.0 or even 8.0:1.0 from CP for you by special order...but you need to know what diameter you can get away with first :thumleft:

From my experiences 9.0:1.0 pistons with a stock HG gets you to ~8.7:1.0 compression ratio...but that was with Wiseco pistons. I'd be looking for 8.5:1.0 from CP, which (again from my experiences) gets you to ~8.3:1.0 with a 1mm HG.

are you talking about 1mm after it's compressed Ash? Stock being 1.4mm before it's squished down and 1mm after. The problem is the info from sites etc is all very inconsistent. My understanding was that the CP pistons are 8:5:1 with a stock (1.4mm) gasket. would be good to clarify as it means my own C/R isn't what i thought it was (not that i'm fussed about it).
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'm talking about thickness after torquing down the head:

With Wiseco 9:1 pistons, and 1mm HKS gasket, decked block and slightly worked head- measured CR of 8.65:1.0.

With CP 8.5:1 pistons on a 5S block (not decked), 1mm HKS HG, and slightly worked head- measured CR of 8.3:1.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:I'm talking about thickness after torquing down the head:

With Wiseco 9:1 pistons, and 1mm HKS gasket, decked block and slightly worked head- measured CR of 8.65:1.0.

With CP 8.5:1 pistons on a 5S block (not decked), 1mm HKS HG, and slightly worked head- measured CR of 8.3:1.

Ok cool :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Soooooooooo assuming standard hg replace, do I need 9.0:1 pistons or special 8.5? Thanks guys
ashley

Post by ashley »

Personally I would go for 8.5:1.0, means the stock ECU will be happier with 99ron fuel at stock boost. You could even drop further if you want to go harder on boost levels...all assuming you are using the stock ECU?

But it is a matter of personal opinion on CR and Ignition advance, and how you design the engine as a whole...for the losses in power you see from dropping by dropping from 9 to 8.5:1 when off boost, you much more than make up with when on boost by being able to run more advance.

But get ready for a dozen different opinions to be thrown at you...and it's only a matter of time before someone comes and claims that water/ meth injection will solve all your problems....
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Happy with that - I just can't find 8.5:1 pistons!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Drop Real Street an email- they should be able to get them for you from Carrillo by special order...or contact a UK distributor for Carrillo.

Or choose an alternate manufacturer who offer them off the shelf.

:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

When I was after Carrillo rods Jon was very helpful, Cambridge Motorsport Parts.

http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/#_

[email protected]
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I hear you Ash, in the end i went for 8.0.1 as this gives me more headroom for boost and power.

I'm on a GT3076R 314bhp at the wheels at 1.4bar before Fensport did their magic.
I'm going for progressive water injection kit and going for maybe 1.6bar and tuned on my Link G4 ECU.
This will be may final engine modification ( famous last words )
:lol: As 400bhp fly should be enough for me

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”